Jamaican Connection in Portland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican Connection in Portland

JAMAICAN CONNECTION IN PORTLAND: Portmore United’s participation in the Rose City Invitational didn’t happen by random happenstance. The Portland Timbers, the preseason tournament’s host, mined the Jamaican PremierLeague side’s roster last year for young outside back Alvas Powell. Now the 19-year-old Jamaican international, competing with Jack Jewsbury for the starting spot at right back, will get to face off against his old team, where he spent the previous two seasons before joining the Timbers late last season, when Portland take on Portmore on Day 2 of the tournament Wednesday at Providence Park.

“I had been watching Portland for a long time, and Portland’s structure of the team, the players, it was fantastic,” Powell said in an article by PortlandTimbers.com’s Brian Costello. “I had always watched Portland because Portland is a nice attacking team. The stuff that I normally did in Jamaica was pretty easy, but while training here each day I’ve been learning and learning. So it’s a big difference.”

The article takes a look at the connection of a number of players from Jamaica who currently ply their trade in MLS. That also includes fellow Rose City Invitational participant Vancouver Whitecaps, who feature Andre Lewis, also formerly of Portmore, and Darren Mattocks.

“For our club, on a business end, it’s always good when you can export players,” Portmore coach Calvin Lewis said in the article. “Of all the clubs in Jamaica, we’ve exported the most players. It’s good to know that over the years, we continue export quality players.”

ARTICLE - http://m.timbers.com/news/2014/02/wh...club-portmore-

Comment

Originally posted by USAF View Post

“For our club, on a business end, it’s always good when you can export players,” Portmore coach Calvin Lewis said in the article. “Of all the clubs in Jamaica, we’ve exported the most players. It’s good to know that over the years, we continue export quality players.”
      # of exports?
      Didn't Harbour View FC make that claim?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
      X