Raheem, Andre & Dan - Jamaica connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raheem, Andre & Dan - Jamaica connection

Xcuse don't get it twisted. I am posting this because of the Jamaican connection.

Journalist Alex Urquhart-Cannon examines the Jamaican roots at the heart of the current Liverpool team - and the man who paved the way...

Most Recent News

As the first ever Jamaican-born player to don the Liverpool shirt, former Reds midfielder John Barnes paved the way for three current first-team stars to follow in his legendary footsteps.

Barnes enjoyed a memorable Reds career which boasted eight trophies and 108 goals in 407 appearances - an unforgettable period on Merseyside which many fellow players would envy.

Fondly recalling his younger days as he looked to secure a career as a footballer, Barnes has revealed how his living area in the Up-Park army barracks in Kingston provided him with the suitable foundation to mature into the player that he became.

The ex-England international also explained why moving to these shores was a huge contrast in terms of surroundings and climate - although that did not stop him from becoming one of the finest wingers the country has ever seen.

Barnes told the official Liverpool FC magazine: "Jamaica was idyllic for children, especially for a boy like me who loved sport. The place resembled a village, eight square miles in size and full of swimming pools, squash courts and tennis courts. It was a place of peace and security.

"I occasionally bump into old friends or soldiers from Up-Park who march up and declare: 'Barnes, I remember you growing up, you were always playing football'."

Upon arriving at the much colder Heathrow airport in London, Barnes recalled: "I'd never seen snow before. Tropical Jamaica seemed another planet away, let alone another continent."

Barnes' hugely impressive achievements in England gave a whole nation hope that they could follow in his footsteps.

Three Reds players with Jamaican heritage have done exactly that as Raheem Sterling, Daniel Sturridge and Andre Wisdom find themselves on Merseyside with highly promising futures.

Unlike Barnes, Sterling was based in admittedly rougher surroundings as a child in Jamaica.

Hailing from Maverley - a different area of Kingston - the winger believes the tougher nature of the football they played back then has helped to develop him physically.

Sterling revealed: "It was a tough area, but I'm proud to say I come from there.

"It was all on the street. There were no competitive matches but I think it helped me because the other boys were a lot bigger and I learned very quickly how to use my body."

Sterling moved to London at the age of seven - a defining moment in his future - and swiftly began making an impression when he joined the youth ranks at QPR. The Reds soon spotted the winger's undoubted potential and brought him to Anfield in 2010.

After a meteoric rise to prominence through Liverpool's reserve ranks, the 18-year-old made his senior debut against Wigan Athletic on March 24, 2012 at the age of 17 years and 107 days - emphasising how comfortable the transition from Jamaica to England has been for the youngster.

As opposed to Barnes and Sterling, Sturridge originated from England. Born in Birmingham following his parents' move from Jamaica, the striker still cherishes his family background and is grateful for their attitude with regards to how they strived for a better life.

"I'm very proud of my heritage," the England international said. "I love the country but it always reminds me of how fortunate I am.

"When you go there you realise certain things, like the sacrifices my ancestors have made to make a better life for themselves. I watch a lot of sport when I'm over there - both football and cricket. I realise how it inspires people.

"Young people hear music or see sport - football, cricket and athletics - and they also see a bad road, a road where it is easy to get into trouble. The younger generation needs role models."

Similarly to Sturridge, Wisdom was born in England but had Jamaican grandparents.

Originally from Leeds, the 20-year-old has displayed commendable determination to break through the youth ranks at Liverpool and has never looked out of place since his memorable senior debut when he scored in a Europa League match against Young Boys.

Wisdom has selflessly deflected any potential praise onto two Jamaican sprinters - the famous Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake.

The defender feels that the pair provide a huge amount of inspiration for the whole of Jamaica and have proved that the country's inhabitants can go on to achieve similar feats in the coming years.

Wisdom stated: "It has been a brilliant few years for Jamaican sport. I was a decent short-distance runner as a kid. Those two guys are unbelievable - arguably the best that's ever been - so it gives Jamaicans a lot of hope and belief that they can achieve great things too."
    Last edited by Karl; February 24, 2014, 07:20 PM.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Mi neva say nutting all I have to say is di site knows brethren juss come out in yuh YNWA panties...lol
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Clown.....
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

X, mi finally agree wi yuh! axe di yute coach kah him nuh win nutten!!! united can keep moyes though because he is "promising" and he is elect of sir alex!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Since Rafa is preoccupied in Napoli, I am prepared to bite my tongue,swallow my pride ,give im a bly until Rafa is available as for Man U ,I agree Moyes is the annointed one ,one more season to pull off the master plan.
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Rafa nuh have nuh master plan fi pull off too?

Comment

Working...
            X