• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Women's Coach

NEW WOMEN'S COACH
    Barbican's Edwards front-runner to replace Blaine

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

EDWARDS ... I had been interviewed and I have submitted a resume
    Charles Edwards, of Barbican Football Club, appears set to replace Vin Blaine as National head coach of the women's senior team, a source close to the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) informed the Observer yesterday.

Edwards, insisted the source, seems to have won the confidence of the JFF ahead of his six rival candidates, who were recommended by the technical committee and interviewed.

Former coach Blaine, who had taken the women's programme to unprecedented levels, including to the brink of FIFA World Cup qualification at the Under-20 and senior levels, quit in frustration on Monday, April 2, claiming irreconcilable differences with the chairperson of the JFF's Women's Committee, Elaine Walker-Brown.

"I have not been informed (about the job) and I don't want to speak out of context," cautioned Edwards yesterday. However, he did admit to the Observer that he was interviewed for the job.
    "I had been interviewed and I have submitted a resume," he said.

BLAINE... I have no reason to go back because the same people who are giving me the problems will still be in place
    The JFF president Crenston Boxhill could not be reached to confirm the appointment yesterday, and the local governing body's general secretary, Burchell Gibson, was said to be on assignment.

Edwards has been coaching women's football for the past 10 years, starting out with United Strikers, which later became known as Barbican Football Club. During this period, he has taken his club to the play-offs on nine occasions, the final five times, including three titles, 2003, '04, and '05.

Prior to coaching women's football, Edwards was assistant coach to Danny Lyn at Constant Spring for 13 years, where he was instrumental in helping the club gain promotion from the Syd Bartlett competition to the National Premier League.

As a part of the Constant Spring backroom staff, Edwards helped the club to three Major League titles and three Jackie Bell Knockout crowns, as well as being runners-up to Reno in the National Premier League in 1994/95.

The women's senior team, courtesy of its fourth place finish in the CONCACAF FIFA World Cup Qualifying series last November, earned an historic berth to the Pan American Games, which are set for Brazil between July 13 and 26.

This tournament will also act as a qualifying series for the Beijing, China Olympics, slated for next year.

When Blaine stepped down he said: "I have no reason to go back because the same people who are giving me the problems... will still be in place...

"Until the president has the guts to remove Walker-Brown from the programme, she is single-handedly going to wreck this women's programme... I have no intention of going back," he added.

At the time, a release from the JFF dated April 3, said the organisation regretted Blaine's resignation and thanked him for his contribution to the development of the women's programme over the years.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Edwards named national senior women's coach

Charles Edwards has been appointed coach of the national senior women's team, the Reggae Girlz, by the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF). His assistant will be Xavier Gilbert.

Edwards has been a women's football coach for 10 years and is currently the coach of the Barbican Football Club. He replaces Vin Blaine who resigned last month.

Since taking charge at Barbican, Edwards' teams have won three Sherwin Williams Women's National Premier League championships in 2003, 2004 and 2005.

The national senior women's team will compete in the 2007 Pan-American Games in Brazil July 13-29. The Pan-American Games are the qualifiers for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Source: Jamaica Star Online - 16 May, 2007
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

Charles Edwards has been appointed coach of the national senior women's team, the Reggae Girlz, by the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF). His assistant will be Xavier Gilbert.

Edwards has been a women's football coach for 10 years and is currently the coach of the Barbican Football Club. He replaces Vin Blaine who resigned last month.

Since taking charge at Barbican, Edwards' teams have won three Sherwin Williams Women's National Premier League championships in 2003, 2004 and 2005.

The national senior women's team will compete in the 2007 Pan-American Games in Brazil July 13-29. The Pan-American Games are the qualifiers for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Source: Jamaica Star Online - 16 May, 2007
      Vin Blaine should be re-called when the new administration takes over.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
      X