I'm BAAACCKKK (Back From Runaway Bay)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm BAAACCKKK (Back From Runaway Bay)

I returned from a week at Runaway Bay. I saw three games at Drax Hall, the final round of the St. Ann Major League. One game was great, one good (marred by a brutal referee) and the other awful.

TUESDAY: Great Pond 4 , Golden Kickers 1
    The two bottom teams in the league, both doomed to relegation. The game started an hour late, and in the meantime, I stood in a pouring rain.
    Great Pond scored twice in the first half.

The second goal was scored on a penalty. On the ensuing kickoff, the Golden Kicker player fired the ball from the center spot, over the goalie who was off his line, and into the net.

I left at halftime.

WEDNESDAY: Benfica 1, Rising Stars 0
    This excellent game between the second and third place teams was worth standing in the rain to watch. (This time, I brought a jacket).

Benfica's goal came in the second half on a low shot from the left corner of the box, just inside the right post.

The ball exited through a hole in the back of the net. Rising Star claimed the ball missed the net. The referee originally ruled a goal. In the ensuing argument, a Benfica player picked up the ball and rolled the ball through the hole where the ball exited.

The referee correctly consulted the linesman, and confirmed the goal.

THURSDAY: Ocho Rios FC 3, Lewis Strikers 2
    The referee in this game was absolutely brutal. I will say he was equally brutal for both sides. He was completely immobile. He was a statue. He blew the whistle, then took 30 seconds to announce what he was calling.

I dare say we could have brought Karl or Mosiah out of retirement, and they would have done a much better job.

On a previous visit to Runaway Bay some years ago, I watched Lewis Strikers win the playoff semifinals en route to the St. Ann championship, and promotion to the Eastern Super League.

Ocho Rios was the first place team in the league, and Lewis Strikers was ninth out of 11, but safe from relegation.

Ocho Rios scored two sweet goals in the first ten minutes. Lewis Strikers could have mailed in the rest of the game, but they fought back to tie the game on two penalty kicks. Both calls were correct.

However, I could have had a pizza delivered by the time the referee strolled to the penalty spot to announce the call.

The referee was also called several offsides even though the linesman did not raise his flag.

The second half was a cane cutting festival. One one occasion, the referee awarded Ocho Rios a free kick on a foul ruled to be just outside the box. A minute after the foul, the referee waddled over to the scene and sent off the Lewis player who committed the foul. He later ejected another Lewis player.

I mentioned to someone that in the USA, the referee would be standing over the fouled player before that player hit the deck.

Meanwhile, Ocho Rios claimed the foul took place inside the box, and therefore should be awarded a penalty. The refree lumbered over to the linesman who apparently told him the foul was inside the box, and then lumbered back to the penalty spot. Ocho Rios scored on the penalty.

The win clinched first place for Ocho Rios.

(In fairness to the referee, the lines on the field were badly faded, washed away by heavy rain Tuesday and Wedneday afternoon.

After the game, things turned ugly. The referee was in a heated argument with Ocho Rios supporters. (I have a picture.) One man staning next to me and said "Hey ******************** Bwoy Referee - see dis fat white man wit gray hair on di side of his head....me bet you one thousand dollars he could kick your chi chi ass in a foot race..."

Re: I'm BAAACCKKK (Back From Runaway Bay)

Enjoying the rain...
    ...& the football match...
    ...& the off the field banter...
    ...& your interaction with the fan...
    See you had fun...
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Re: I'm BAAACCKKK (Back From Runaway Bay)

LOL...aah Bruce sound like you had fun, as I said a while back watching the Portmore game on FSW , the ref was incompetent.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
      X