Choose text size
    document.write('Report typo or correction'); Report typo or correction
    Email the author

License this article

Tag and save

Canada loses out on inking Rene Simoes
    May 10, 2007 04:30 AM
    Cathal Kelly
    When it comes to soccer, at least Canada and England now have this much in common: They have pursued a major national team manager from the coaching hothouse of Brazil, convinced him to come and then watched him slip through their grasp.
    In England's case, they lost 2002 World Cup champion Luiz Felipe Scolari.
    It was understood that Scolari had agreed in principle to take over the English program after last summer's World Cup.
    Instead, Scolari balked at the last instant, blaming English media scrutiny of his family and re-committed to his current team, Portugal.
    More than likely, the real object was money.
    In Canada's case, we had our sights set on Rene Simoes, the man who guided Jamaica into an unlikely World Cup berth in 1998.
    Simoes is an eccentric and charismatic leader whose attractive style of play has won over players and fans in his coaching stops on three continents.
    We were led to understand that the deal for Simoes was all but done.
    Then, at the 11th hour, it was called off. The Canadian Soccer Association has gone mum on the issue. We are left only with Simoes's version to go by.
    According to what he told the Ottawa Citizen's Richard Starnes, Simoes drew a very apt comparison between soccer and hockey for his interviewers. Countries around the world seek out Canadian hockey coaches because we are considered the world's best at playing and teaching the sport.
    After learning from us, countries are invariably better competitors and educators.
    Likewise, Brazilian coaches can invigorate not only foreign soccer programs, but also the coaching systems.
    One is left to imagine all the nodding that went on around the room at that attractive notion.
    But when it came to hiring not only Simoes but also his coaching support staff, the deal was scuppered by the CSA's board of directors.
    Again, money was the contract killer.
    Simoes and every genuine fan of Canadian soccer were left shaking their heads at a unique opportunity lost.
    It's a curious situation involving the CSA's board and the search committee designed to find a new coach. (The search for a new chief operating officer and technical director also continues apace).
    One of the members of the search committee that tapped Simoes was CSA president Colin Linford.
    However, he was unable to convince his own board to approve the choice.
    Whether it was merely money or internal politics as well, it all speaks eloquently to a deep and disturbing divide at the top levels of Canada's soccer family.
    With Simoes having slipped the hook and the CSA in full informational lockdown, all involved are now manning their panic stations.
    Against this backdrop, the CSA's annual meeting began in Toronto yesterday. Clearly, there will be fireworks.
    A strong rumour persists that men's under-20 coach Dale Mitchell will succeed interim coach Stephen Hart as the man in charge of Canada's national program. That might happen as early as today.
    But with the Canadian-hosted FIFA U-20 finals and World Cup qualifying tuneup Gold Cup only weeks away, Mitchell would not be able to assume his duties for several crucial months yet.
    The whole sad mess prompted a note of protest from the Voyageurs, a small but influential group of Canadian fans.
    There is no more sophisticated conversation going on about what ails Canadian soccer than the one that can be found at their website: canadian-soccer.com. You can read the full text of their angry letter to the CSA there.
    When England lost its Brazilian, it turned inward. Its choice, Steve McClaren, saved all his brilliance for the hue of his whitened molars. He is doing his damnedest to march one of the world's most gifted sides out of the running for Euro 2008.
    Canada does not have the talent reserves that England can claim.
    So one fears that we are in for many more disappointing days ahead.
    With full respect to Hart, Mitchell or whichever man ends up succeeding long-absent Frank Yallop as the captain of our national vessel, a World Cup berth now seems further over the horizon than ever.

Re: Canada Just as screwed up as Jamaica in thier fA

A see unnu nuh want ride the taxi to world cup.

Do you think Canada can do any better under the current coaches?

This seems to be a big misstep by Canada to me. On behalf of the Reggaeboyz I must say thanks to them but as part of the region I think Canada is doing a poor job of making their team better.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

well as much as I like Hart and Mitchell I dont think they can do it.

Comment

This will give Stephen Hart the opportunity to prove his critics wrong
        Red, White and Black is what I represent..

Comment

Just what we need - another trini on this forum.

sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The failings of the U17s wont help him although he obviously has support within the CSA an will proably work with Dale Mitchell if it goes that way. The Players like him which is a good thing but they are some who things Canada needs a big coach who can galvanized the entire soccer community and install a national system of play and other who things it shoud be a canadian.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
              The failings of the U17s wont help him although he obviously has support within the CSA an will proably work with Dale Mitchell if it goes that way. The Players like him which is a good thing but they are some who things Canada needs a big coach who can galvanized the entire soccer community and install a national system of play and other who things it shoud be a canadian.

I agree the Mr.Simoes would probably be a better candidate than Hart but since he is no longer in the picture this will give Hart a chance to prove himself.
              Red, White and Black is what I represent..

Comment

Working...
              X