• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcastle v Arsenal - Preview

Newcastle's Mike Williamson plays percentage game against Arsenal

Louise Taylor
    The Guardian, Friday 27 December 2013 17.03 EST

The days when Mike Williamson could walk the streets of Tyneside in relative anonymity are over. The years of accepting his status as Newcastle United's third or fourth choice centre-half have also passed now France's Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Steven Taylor are kicking their heels on the sidelines.

It is no coincidence that Newcastle's rise to Champions League contention has coincided with Williamson's return alongside Fabricio Coloccini. After all Alan Pardew's team have won 64% of the games the one-time Torquay and Wycombe defender has started this season; without "Iron Mike" in the first XI that ratio falls to 33%.

As Arsène Wenger plots a way to get behind Williamson when Arsenal visit St James' Park on Sunday, the 30-year-old is enjoying being the subject of a Twitter campaign urging Roy Hodgson to include him in England's World Cup squad.

While @getmike2brazil is rapidly building followers, Newcastle fans have taken to serenading their new, thoroughly unlikely, hero "Mike Brazilliamson" with a special song. "Here's to you, Mike Williamson, Geordies love you more than you will know," they sing to the tune of "Mrs Robinson".

"I've seen the campaign on Twitter," said Williamson, who reveals his wife "laughs" at the "Iron Mike" label. "I got a lot of text messages from my friends over Christmas, and they were nearly all talking about the song. It's fantastic. The supporters here are so passionate. I relish playing in front of them and it's great that they've taken me to their heart. Hopefully they'll continue to sing it for the rest of the season because that'll mean I'm in the side playing well."

After seven wins and one draw in their past nine Premier League games, Pardew's side are, as Williamson puts it, "on a real roll at the moment". Arsenal's visit should serve as a litmus test of their potential."We couldn't be in any better shape to face Arsenal," says a centre-half with few inhibitions about directing the ball into Row Z when required. "The confidence is really flowing through the squad. We know we'll be going out there with a team full of fantastic ability. We can think about beating Arsenal, and that's a great position to be in. It'll be two offensive teams looking to get the ball down, and it'll be great."

Williamson feels Pardew's players are in a position to make Mesut Özil and co slightly nervous. "We've beaten Chelsea and Manchester United so there's no reason why we should fear Arsenal," he said. "We've proved we can mix it with the best in the Premier League. It's a big ask to beat Arsenal, but if we work hard and make sure we're spot on, we can take the points."

Wenger is certainly unlikely to underestimate the ability of a Newcastle dressing room filled with gifted France internationals including Yohan Cabaye, Hatem Ben Arfa, Loïc Rémy and Moussa Sissoko.

Now sixth in the table, Pardew's side – embroiled in a struggle against relegation as recently as last spring – have 33 points from 18 games, their highest total at the equivalent stage of the season since the 2001-02 season when they finished fourth.

"People have been speaking about the strength of Arsenal's attack and midfield, but we look at what's in our dressing room and we're every bit as happy," Williamson said. "The manager has complete faith in the squad. It's definitely a squad effort; we have fantastic talent all over the pitch.

"It's nice to watch us at the moment. As a defender, I was a spectator for most of the second half against Stoke [who Newcastle beat 5-1 at home on Boxing Day] and was able to watch our attacking players tear them to shreds. It's a great place to be at the moment and it's difficult for the manager to pick his starting XI. We have some fantastic players and everything seems to be falling into place.

"It's hard to talk about targets at the moment. The main thing is to keep our momentum going and get as many points as we can. The lads are confident; we're happy for the games to be coming thick and fast."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...=ILCNETTXT3487
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Match Preview

MATCH PREVIEW
    Classic repeats are a staple of Christmas TV, and MotD2 viewers on Sunday certainly wouldn't mind a reprise of what happened when these two teams met exactly a year ago.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Football analyst
    "This is another test for Arsenal, who are without the injured Aaron Ramsey, but I still think they are comfortable in these kind of games.

"Against the absolute top teams - like in their defeat by City or their draw with Chelsea - they have probably not quite got enough. But against the likes of Newcastle, I would always back them."

On 29 December 2012, Arsenal beat Newcastle 7-3 in one of the highest-scoring matches of the Premier League era.

You can't rule it out happening again - both teams have already been involved in goalfests in December, with the Gunners losing 6-3 at Manchester City while Newcastle put five past Stoke on Boxing Day.

And this fixture has a habit of throwing up big scores, with Newcastle having fought back from 4-0 down to earn an unlikely point in February 2011.

Newcastle's Boxing Day win was helped by red cards for two Stoke players - and their manager - but that shouldn't detract from the form the Magpies have shown throughout November and December, when they have picked up 21 points out of a possible 27.

Depending on other results on Sunday, Alan Pardew's side could find themselves going into 2014 in the top four.

Arsenal's 1-0 win in the corresponding fixture on the final day of last season clinched their place in the top four but the Gunners currently have their eyes on a higher prize.

Manager Arsene Wenger said the fighting spirit his side showed to come back against West Ham, ending a run of three games without a win, has proved that Arsenal are title contenders.

And they now have the chance to go into the New Year top of the table, something they haven't done since 2007-08.

That season, they slipped up in the second half of the campaign to finish third - should they go into 2014 top of the pile, Arsenal fans must hope that a repeat of that particular ending doesn't get an airing.

MATCH FACTS
    Head-to-head

•There were 11 goals in the two meetings between these sides last season but only one came at St James' Park, where Arsenal won 1-0. The Gunners won 7-3 at the Emirates.
    •Newcastle have won just one of their last 12 Premier League games against Arsenal (W1, D5, L6).
    •The Magpies have not won on any of the last six occasions they have hosted Arsenal in the league (D4, L2).
    Newcastle

•Newcastle have won seven of their last nine games.
    •The Magpies have scored in 15 of their last 16 league games, only failing to score in a 0-3 defeat against Swansea.
    •Yoan Gouffran has scored in five consecutive Premier League home games for Newcastle United.
    Arsenal

•Arsenal's victory against West Ham on Boxing Day came after three games without a win, the Gunners' worst run of the season.
    •Alongside Tottenham, Arsenal have won the most points away from home in the Premier League this season (19).
    •Arsenal have won the most Premier League points in 2013, and their current 79-point tally in the year cannot be surpassed by any other side.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25482700
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Pardew relishes Arsenal test

Pardew relishes Arsenal test

28 December 2013

In-form Newcastle United host Arsenal on Sunday eyeing their first home Barclays Premier League win over the title contenders since 2005.

Alan Pardew's men have won seven of their last nine League fixtures, with their latest success a 5-1 victory over Stoke City on Boxing Day.

That run - which includes victories over Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United - has seen Newcastle move to within three points of the UEFA Champions League places. However, Arsenal are undefeated in their last six League trips to St James' Park, although the London club have triumphed in only two of those encounters.

Pardew is relishing the visit of Arsenal, though, and feels the clash will give him a better idea of the capabilities of his side.

"We've set ourselves up for what will be an intriguing encounter and we'll probably know a little bit more about this team after Arsenal," Pardew said. "We've been on an incredible run really. I'm not sure if any team has beaten that run over the last nine or 10 games this season, not even Arsenal."

Midfielder Cheick Tiote returns from suspension for Newcastle after missing the win over Stoke, leaving Pardew with almost a full squad to choose from.

Arsenal will be boosted by the return of Jack Wilshere following a two-match ban but Aaron Ramsey misses out after picking up a thigh injury in Thursday's 3-1 victory over West Ham United.

Defender Laurent Koscielny is a doubt due to a knee problem, while Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is also likely to be unavailable with a similar injury, although the winger is thought to be nearing his return.

Arsenal's Boxing Day triumph against the Hammers was their first in four League matches and moved them back to the top of the division.

Manager Arsene Wenger felt the victory at Upton Park underlined Arsenal's title credentials, but midfielder Tomas Rosicky is expecting another stern test of their character against Newcastle.

"Obviously it will be a tough game but Newcastle will always give you a good match," Rosicky told Arsenal's official website. "It will be very interesting, I love these kind of games so I'm very much looking forward to playing them. I think it will be an exciting match."

Newcastle United (from): Alnwick, Elliot, Krul, Coloccini, Debuchy, Dummett, Good, Haidara, Santon, Streete, S Taylor, Williamson, Yanga-Mbiwa, Anita, Ben Arfa, Bigirimana, Cabaye, Gutierrez, Marveaux, Obertan, Sissoko, Tiote, Vuckic, Sh Ameobi, Cisse, Gouffran, Remy.

Arsenal (from): Fabianski, Szczesny, Martinez, Viviano, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Monreal, Sagna, Vermaelen, Flamini, Arteta, Cazorla, Eisfeld, Flamini, Frimpong, Gnabry, Miyaichi, Ozil, Rosicky, Wilshere, Yennaris, Zelalem, Bendtner, Giroud, Park, Podolski, Walcott.

Match Appointments
      Referee: Lee Probert. Assistants: I Hussin, M Scholes. Fourth Official: A Marriner.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/m...tle-vs-arsenal

---------------

Looks like the writer thinks we (My GUNNERS) need a double dose of Flamini?

Comment

Working...
      X