Beasley, Donovan, Dempsey...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beasley, Donovan, Dempsey...

These guys (like it or not) are very close to their sell-by date.

Dempsey must NOT be allowed to take another penalty. His penalty against Costa Rica bearly got through the keeper; the one against Mexico to make it 3 NIL... is still in flight in the stratosphere...

Donovan is a step or two slower. Still a wiley player, but his legs seems to be getting tyiad.

Then there is Beasley. Won't say he cause the first goal in the Costa Rica match, but a younger Beasley (though not playing in defense) would be more reactive.

All 3 are in there early 30's. They have lots of milage on those legs.

Luckily the bench is deep, so i will not be surprised if these 3 foundation players see reduced playing time come World Cup.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Agreed!
    ...but Donovan and Dempsey to have time reduced or see more reduced playing time before Beasley.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I guess Donovan knew what he was doing when he too that extended period off......

HL

Comment

Look for Klinsman to rest most of the main starters.

Jamaica will likely play against a less experienced group.

HL

Comment

It is natural for a player to loose a step as they get older, BUT have you seriously taken a look at who will replace them, because none of the young players really impress me. When those 3 were in their early 20s (especially Donovan & Beasley) you had a sense of confidence that they would be U.S. stars & contribute a lot to the team/program, BUT I think the jury is still out on their "replacements".

Hopefully US Soccer will start to seriously make investments in developing & growing the game in the inner city.
          Last edited by USAF; September 12, 2013, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I think when Dempsey and Donovan is in the squad many of the other players perform at less than full ability as they are often looking to pass to one or other of those 2 first.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by USAF View Post
              It is natural for a player to loose a step as they get older, BUT have you seriously taken a look at who will replace them, because none of the young players really impress me. When those 3 were in their early 20s (especially Donovan & Beasley) you had a sense of confidence that they would be U.S. stars & contribute a lot to the team/program, BUT I think the jury is still out on their "replacements".

Hopefully US Soccer will start to seriously make investments in developing & growing the game in the inner city.
              Don't think Graham Zusi is all that....

The 'new' forward Aaron Johannsson, seem to have some potential. The little i have seen of him-- is kinda impressive!

But you are right, the replacements for these 3 foundation players are not yet apparent.
              Last edited by HL; September 12, 2013, 04:30 PM.

HL

Comment

I'm hoping to get surprised, BUT don't see any stars/game changers.

Comment

Working...
                X