• Show
Clear All

• Well done JFF

Four local coaches get Level 3 certification

Published: Saturday | August 3, 2013

Goburn

1 2 3 4 >
    Raymond Graham, Gleaner Writer
    FOUR of the country's top high school track and field coaches now have IAAF Level 3 certification after a recent two-week course in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The course, which started on July 18 and ended on July 31, was held in sprints and hurdles and was for coaches who had previously completed the Level 2 certification.

Some 25 coaches from 15 Caribbean countries participated. The local coaches who successfully completed the course are St Jago High's Keilando Goburn, head coach of their girls' programme; John Mair (Vere Technical), Michael McIntosh (Green Island and Fernando Douglas (St George's College).

Another Jamaican, St Jago's head boys' coach Danny Hawthorne, was one of the main lecturers at the course.

Goburn, who was one of the coaches at the recent IAAF World Youth Championships in Donetsk, Ukraine, stated that the two-week course was very challenging.

"The course was very challenging as we first had to overcome the language barrier and quickly make the adjustments, especially when we went to buy food. We had to attend classes every day from 8 a.m. -5 p.m. doing several theory and practical sessions for the day," he said.

Examination
    According to Goburn, the examination, which was held in three parts - theory, practical and oral - was very tough and they had to bring out their 'A' game to be successful.

"For me, it was even more challenging after being away so long with the World Youth team in Ukraine. I had to leave the following day after returning to Jamaica without getting any rest, but in the end it paid off because I learned a lot and I am extremely grateful for the opportunity," said Goburn.

Goburn, who is in his seventh year as coach of the St Jago High female team, had special praise for Hawthorne.

Hawthorne did great
    "I think Hawthorne did a great job as a lecturer, and I think he is a sprint genius and he is definitely one of the best in the island."

Hawthorne has guided several outstanding athletes at the high- school level, including current World 100 metres champion Yohan Blake and Nickel Ashmeade, a member of Jamaica's team to the 2013 World Championships in Moscow. He is also the coach of World Youth 400-metre champion, Martin Manley.
    Last edited by Karl; September 12, 2013, 02:16 PM.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Well done JFF???

Comment

What game did you watch????????????? They have caused a deterioration to Jamaican football and they are a disaster in youth through senior football development. Many of you still do not get the picture.

Comment

You are both missing my sarcasm
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

It's a condition called seriousmilitis.

Some folks here take themselves waaay too serious
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
          X