Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Rica snaps U.S. winning streak in World Cup qualifier

Costa Rica snaps U.S. winning streak in World Cup qualifier

The United States' 12-game winning run came to a crushing end with a 3-1 defeat against Costa Rica in their CONCACAF region World Cup qualifier in San Jose on Friday.

Two early goals for a fired-up Costa Rica set the tone for a tough encounter and although the Americans sit in second place in the six-team qualifying group behind the hosts, the result will be of concern to head coach Juergen Klinsmann.

"We knew they were going to come out that way and we gave away a careless corner and they scored from it," midfielder Landon Donovan told reporters.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

USA were outplayed...badly!
    ...and it appeared Klinsmann realized that early. He certainly was not his usual animated self on the touchlines.

I wondered on his comfort with Donovan's and Dempsey's performances?
    From this game it appeared those two cannot be relied on to lead....provided leadership.

Granted that on their quality of play they contributed to the numerous turn-overs i.e. handing the ball to the opposition frequently...but where was the effort at getting TEAM only plays going...encouraging TEAM (teammates) to just play 'simple' passing and moving game...cut out all extra holding or extravagant extra touch play???? ...play safe sensible possession and then sudden' attacks???

I do not know....???? ...but those guys, in that game, were a waste!

I was let down by Donovan and Dempsey. I am sorry but as senior men...supposedly of high quality...they disappointed. What was up with those displays???
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Donovan and Dempsey weren't stellar but they weren't terrible either (don't forget that Dempsey hit the post).

The big letdown was the midfield. Bradley getting hurt in the pre-game warm-up really threw a wrench in the plans, and Jermaine Jones played a stinker. Too many turnovers had our defense under too much pressure.

I think Klinsmann was counting on CR to take a more measured approach from the start and not come out so aggressively, which is what actually happened. Letting in 2 very early goals was a huge setback.

Our 2nd half was much better and their keeper kept out the equalizer on a couple of occasions. But their counterattack 3rd goal killed the game off for good.
      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
      - Xavi

Comment

Working...
      X