• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Formation

New formation for Boyz - Schäfer

Published: Thursday | September 5, 2013

Robert Bailey, Gleaner Writer

Reggae Boyz head coach Winfried 'Winnie' Schäfer, said he will be employing a 3-5-2 formation when they oppose Panama in their crucial CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying football match in Panama City tomorrow.

"We have changed our system; we have come back to a 3-5-2 (formation) what the players played before in Jamaica because everyone plays this system before in their club in England," said the German-born Schäfer, following last night's final training session at the National Stadium East field.
    "I have watched our match here when we played against them and so I think our team is prepared and everybody knows what we have to do in Panama," he said.

"We have talked to the players about what they have to do. The left defender from Panama, the number four and 19 are very good on the left side and we've to stop these players," Schäfer said.

Continuing he said: "I watched two matches with them in the United States against Mexico and Costa Rico and I have watched matches on YouTube."Meanwhile, Wolry Wolfe and Adrian Reid were omitted from the Reggae Boyz 25-man squad, which will travel to Panama today, while goalkeeper Richard McCallum has replaced Dwayne Miller, who got injured in training yesterday.

Schäefer pleased
    Schäfer said he was very pleased with the Reggae Boyz's showing in the two days of training.

"I am happy because everybody was focused in training," said Schäfer. "We are looking forward to the game in Panama City and everybody is aware of what they need to do."

SQUAD: Adrian Marriappa, Alvas Powell, Chris Humphrey, Daniel Gordon, Darren Mattocks, Donovan Ricketts, Richard McCallum, Garath McLeary, Gariece McPherson, Jermaine Anderson, Jermaine Beckford, Jermaine Johnson, Jobi McAnuff, Kemar Lawrence, Lloyd Doyley, Luton Shelton, Marlon King, Marvin Elliott, O'Brian Woodbine, Rodolph Austin, Ryan Johnson, Shaun Cummings, Theo Robinson and Wes Morgan.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports5.html
    Last edited by Karl; September 5, 2013, 01:57 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Well I am not sure bout this 3 in the back business, mariappa is out Morgan is new, Doyley is still very new and Taylor may not be quick enough (ok Karl, i know you been waiting on me to say that for a few years now) on the flank in the defensive position, lots of opportunity there if panama gets control of midfield.

Back to good old 4-5-1 the one time we played it with sensible personnel we got the best result of the hex round versus Mexico.

4-5-1 transforms very quickly to 4-3-3, especially when your flank mids in the 4-5-1 are fast, athletic and skilled. Start the game conservatively and build control, play shut down pressure defense in the middle of the pitch and pounce on the breakdown in the panama defense.

Comment

Somebody send come call me if it's time to jump back on the wagon.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo, mek sure yuh bring the beers cause a six love me a drop pon yuh inna the domino game tonight. Me naw go out a me way fe go watch Jamaica play tonight.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I'm off the wagon as well...After watching those two disappointing games in June, I need a pull to get me back on...Good luck to the Boyz tonight and I hope they give me a reason to plan another trip to JA soon

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            Somebody send come call me if it's time to jump back on the wagon.
            Man-- you are fun---nneee!!
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
            X