The Jamaican Premiere League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jamaican Premiere League

If the Jamaican Premiere League was to adopt the MLS model, wouldn't it strengthen the league, clubs and play a stronger role in the development of your players???

I think that if you had a permanent group of 12 JPL teams then you would have your best talent concentrated in this one league, and stronger competition among the players & coaches/managers.

Yes, I think it would be the best setup for Jamaica. Make sure all regions have a team that is relatively close and put a lot of investment into those franchises. The coaches at these clubs, particularly at these levels would have mandatory training sessions and internships with professional clubs. Could even be an MLS club like the Galaxy, they have relatively new academies (that overseas clubs have been raiding) and would be able to provide a lot of info on setup and interactions with other local clubs/high schools. As you have noted, we also have Jamaican coaching talent involved in the US system.

I would start with only 10 teams and have them play the other teams 4 times for the year. Once the quality looks decent maybe add two more and that is it. Approximate population to target for each club should be fairly even.

1. Portmore United (Portmore - 200k)
    2. Rivoli (St. Catherine - 400k w/o Portmore)
    2. Sporting Central (Clarendon - 200k)
    3. Reno (Westmoreland/Hannover - 200k)
    4. Montego Bay United (St James/Trelawny - 275k)
    5. St Georges or Highgate (Portland/St Mary - 200k)
    6. Harbour View (East Kgn/St Andrew/St. Thomas - 200k)
    7. Tivoli (Kingston)
    8. Arnett Gardens (Kingston)
    9. Waterhouse (Kingston)
    10. Boys Town (Kingston) - possible a different club that provides greater Geographic diversity within the City.

Comment

The thing about Jamaica is the support at football games, not a lot of people would go through the turnstiles

Comment

If is even to offer discounted tickets to local community support. It will be difficult and nuff going to cuss, but we have to start somewhere.

Comment

Put one in St.Ann and the other in Portland. St.Ann have a huge population and tourism growth and another in St. Elizabeth or Manchester which both have huge population as well.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
            The thing about Jamaica is the support at football games, not a lot of people would go through the turnstiles
            And this is the primary problem.

As important as The recent WC qualifiers that were played at the stadium had sparse attendance.

Dunny, if you ask Mosiah--he will tell you that 'Jamaicans prefer cricket over football' (that includes him).
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

The clubs should seek to have on average a minimum of 5000 paying fans coming to their home games. Seating and infrastructure need to be improvement along with the quality of play.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Seating? wha kinda metal you suggest?
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Now you have me thinking TK. We export tonnes of bauxite, but do we import aluminum?I know there was a time when we used to import SUGAR.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Still import sugar.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                      Now you have me thinking TK. We export tonnes of bauxite, but do we import aluminum?I know there was a time when we used to import SUGAR.
                      Jamaica cannot economically produce aluminium....it's extremely energy-intensive. Our retail electricity cost is ~US$0.40/kilowatt hour. We would need power at ~US$0.05/kWh to have a shot at a smelter operating cost effectively

Trini dem shock wi wen dem flop wi wid dem gas
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

50% of NPL clubs do not have an enclosed grounds for payment to take place, only Waterhouse, Harbour View, Arnett Gardens, Portmore Utd, MoBay Utd and Cavailer FC are enclosed.
                        Wadadah (peace & love)

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                          Now you have me thinking TK.
                          Really Jangle? Really?
                          No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Originally posted by Delly's View Post
                            50% of NPL clubs do not have an enclosed grounds for payment to take place, only Waterhouse, Harbour View, Arnett Gardens, Portmore Utd, MoBay Utd and Cavailer FC are enclosed.
                            Tivarli???
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                            X