• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIS IS OUR YEAR 2013 'Wadadah Fc'

WESTERN NEWS

Big boost! 'Tegat' to assist Wadadah in JFF's Premier League play-offs
    BY PAUL A REID Observer West Writer
    Thursday, May 09, 2013

MONTEGO BAY, St James - VETERAN coach Paul 'Tegat' Davis has joined the Wadadah coaching staff for next weekend's start of the Jamaica Football Federation's Premier League play-offs, the Observer West has learnt.
    Davis who had led another St James club, Tomorrow's People, to the semi-finals of the Captain's Bakery and Grill Western Confederation's Super League where they lost on penalty kicks to eventual champions Wadadah FC two Sundays ago, has responded positively to an SOS from the Wadadah coach Daniel Ricketts to help them in their quest to return to the Premier League next season.
    Tegat Davis
    1/1
    When contacted yester-day Davis confirmed the reports but hastened to clarify that he would not be the coach on the bench giving game instructions.
    "I have no problems helping out Daniel and Wadadah. Daniel is a young coach and I will do what I can to help him and the team," Davis said. Minutes after beating Reno FC 5-4 on penalties in a gripping second-leg final played at Jarrett Park on Sunday night, Ricketts told journalists he would be seeking help to take on the six games play-off series.
    "I will get another coach to come in and help us over the next hurdle," Ricketts said.
    "We need a tougher coach, one who can help with the football discipline. I am an inexperienced coach and I am doing this for Wadadah."
    Without calling any names, Ricketts, who was a player when Wadadah last campaigned in the Premier League before taking up coaching roles a few years ago, said the coach had worked with the team during the week leading up to the return leg against Reno, after they had lost 1-0 at Frome in the first leg.
    Few local coaches boast the resume of Davis when it comes to qualifying teams to the Premier League, having worked his magic with Village United and Seba United (now Montego Bay United).
    Wadadah FC who were winning their second Super League title in four seasons and who were in back to back finals after losing to Savannah SC last season, will face the champions of the other three Confederations in a home and away series, with the top two replacing the two relegated teams from this season.
    Indiscipline almost saw Wadadah losing in back to back finals, as after clawing their way back from a 1-0 first leg deficit, led 2-0 on Sunday for a 2-1 aggregate win.
    Levardo Whyte who had received a yellow card for taking off his shirt while celebrating the first goal in the 49th minute on Sunday to tie up the game at 1-1, was then sent off in the 85th minute for kicking away the ball after the referee had blown the play dead. Before this, Damaine Reid's 82nd-minute goal appeared to have secured the title for Wadadah, but Reno with a one man advantage then struck back through Craig Foster in time added to force extra time with the aggregate scores locked at 2-2.
    After two tense periods without any other goal, it was down to penalties where Wadadah FC, as they did a week earlier against Tomorrow's People, were perfect from the spot, while Reno had one miss.
    Alex McFarlane, Steven Irving, Palmer, Loxley Thomas and Shaunovan Wilson all scored for Wadadah, while Obrian Woodbine, Delano Rankine, Melvin Blair and Craig Foster scored for Reno, as Jashane Foster had his _14229863#ixzz2T7Nx4LAs
    Wadadah (peace & love)
Working...
X