Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julio Baptista - Wants Madrid Chance

Wants Madrid Chance
    Julio Baptista may just have made his point on where he thinks his future lies, having made a scathing attack on English football. The Brazilian did not spare the English weather either.

Boot It Up, Lads
    "The teams from the north of England are terrible," Baptista told The Times.
    "When we play them I have counted their centre-backs booting up to 30 long balls upfield per game.
    "Premiership football is very hard. I am Brazilian and I enjoy playing the ball, making clever touches and taking bicycle kicks.
    "Arsene Wenger does not forbid me from doing them, but the game is so fast I don't even have time to think about them. "The moment you stop to think, someone has taken the ball off you and knocked you to the ground. Over here they value a corner kick more than a fancy flick."

Where's The Sun!
    Having had his saw on the football, he went on to English weather.

"The weather over here is killing me," he said. "We'll get one day of sunshine for every 30 days of rain, and it is driving me to despair.
    "My girlfriend and my mother are frightened about not seeing the sun in England. They miss being in Madrid."

The Future
    However, he refused to suggest that his Arsenal career was over. He is scheduled to return to Real Madrid at the end of the season, unless Arsenal choose to buy him.
    "I am lucky to be with Arsenal, as they are a team that likes to play proper football," he said, finally dropping something positive for Wenger to latch on to.
    "I could stay at Arsenal, but right now I can't see myself anywhere for definite.
    "But it's clear in my mind that I would tackle my second chance with Real with far more strength and maturity than I did in my first spell."
    It looks more than likely that Real Madrid will want to keep Reyes in Madrid even if Capello leaves. Los Merengues could be happy with the current loan arrangement being made permanent, but there are doubts over whether Wenger will want to spend the 20-25 million euros (that Reyes is worth) on acquiring Baptista.

His performances, and in particular his finishing at Arsenal, will have given Wenger little reason, but the Frenchman is known to back talented players to come good. But will he back Baptista when the Brazilian is clearly so unhappy with everything in England? Will Real Madrid want him back?
    Last edited by Karl; April 19, 2007, 12:16 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X