X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelton tipped to shine at Blades

By Charlie Henderson

Shelton impressed at Old Trafford

Luton Shelton has the potential to be a big hit at Sheffield United, according to the striker's former manager.
    The 21-year-old Jamaican joined the Blades in a £1.85m deal from Helsingborgs in January.
    Shelton made his first start on Tuesday and proved himself a real handful for Manchester United's defence.
    "If Luton makes the progress I think he can he'll be a firm favourite at Bramall Lane," Helsingborgs boss Stuart Baxter told BBC Sport.
    "He's very quick, nimble, has good feet and a bit of a trick and I'm sure that's what caught Neil Warnock's eye."
    Blades boss Warnock was hoping to let Shelton settle in slowly but an injury to striker Rob Hulse means Shelton could play a major part in the Yorkshire club's battle to beat the drop.
    Against United he showed signs he could be the man to lead the line for Warnock's men.
    He came close to scoring after getting the better of United defender Wes Brown and could have earned the Blades a penalty when he looked to be tripped by Gabriel Heinze.
    PLAYER RATER
    You voted Luton Shelton as Sheff Utd's best player on Tuesday with a rating of 6.62, but you can still register your vote for 24 hours after the game
    Man Utd v Sheff Utd rater

Baxter is a huge admirer of Shelton, although he admits there are definitely elements of the player's game that need work.
    "Luton's not a powerful player in terms of build, he's slight and that's why he has to be nimble with the ball to feet and he can dance away from you," Baxter explained.
    "He won't be knocking people out of the way, which is a part of the game he has got to build on. That and his core strength.
    "And his goals-to-chances ratio is not as high as it should be, but that's an area United will be working on and with experience that will come.
    "He's still only a young player to be playing at the top level.
    "He's good when facing defenders and when he's behind them, but he has to work a bit on receiving the ball under pressure and bringing other people into the game - but we're getting close to talking about the perfect striker in the perfect world now."
    Baxter is sure Warnock and his staff will be ironing out those flaws, but in a perfect world would have liked to have been doing so himself.
    "Maybe he could have got his move and been loaned back to Helsingborgs for a few months to help him come on a bit more in an environment he knows," he added.
    "But when you pay that much money for a player it is difficult not to want him straight away.
    "In a dogfight a manager wants options and that must be what Neil was thinking.
    "And when his players have been doing the business it means he can leave Luton to come along more slowly."
    Neil may have to put his arm around him now and then, but I never had five minute's trouble with him

Baxter on Luton Shelton

Despite reflecting on the price, Baxter says United have landed a bargain.
    "The rationale behind the deal is very sound and I think that's what managers should be judged on, not did it hit the post and go in or did it hit the post and go out," he adds.
    "And the price is cheap when you see what some Scandinavian players have gone for.
    "I went for a Scandinavian striker between two Scandinavian clubs and they wanted £1m. If a Premiership club's in it goes through the roof - double it, triple it and take away the number you first thought of!
    "Players suit leagues and some don't, others come on, others don't, some get homesick and some don't. "There are lots of variables so you never know, but I'd say it's good business. "Luton's a quiet lad, and Neil may have to put his arm around him now and then, but I never had five minute's trouble with him."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X