RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2012-13 EPL season: Manager of the Year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2012-13 EPL season: Manager of the Year!

Sir. Alex Ferguson.

The truth is there were only 4 teams with a realistic shot at the EPL trophy - Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United. ...and I have put them in the order that the player personnel on each team on paper suggested how they should have ended the season.

Looking at the expected order within which I had expected each, all things being equal i.e. minimal affect by injuries it does not require deep thought to say, "OK, I can see how come the conclusion of Sir. Alex as Manager of the season". If there was an expectation of ManU finishing 4th and Sir. Alex molded them into TEAM that ran away with the league...then 'tah dah'!!!

All four teams had the quality in player personnel to run out winners of the trophy. Granted only one team could be expected to be the new champion. If the quality of players in each team is considered such that the trophy could be won then the only 'difference maker' would be preparation and match day management. In both departments Sir. Alex came out on top.

Sir. Alex brought in strikers to complement those already in house and to enabled him to rotate his strike pairing and not overwork his strikers.

His glaring weakness was in midfield...yet he was able to get good service from his most experienced and ageing midfielders, Paul Scholes and Ryan Gibbs. He also had Rooney provide yeoman service there. His wide midfielders and defenders...Young, Valencia, Rafael, Evra, Jones, et al...put in untiring shifts and had good speed... All others he used contributed significantly in a number of matches.

In my opinion Gibbs has been only a step behind Rooney as midfielder. (You may gasp as I am here referring to Rooney as a midfielder...but Rooney operates at different times...and even within games as out-and-out striker or marvelous midfielder. ...and very often as midfielder Rooney combines attacking and defensive midfielder qualities. Often playing each role as the occasion demands.

Michael Carrick was his usual calm, steady...unflappable...strong man - good passer and mover (so skilled at this he appeared to most invisible - his ease on and off the ball would be akin to how Frank Worrell and Lawrence Rowe batted to extreme pace...appeared to have all the time in the world yet doing the work with minimum fuss in minimum time). Michael Carrick is an artist and for this type artist time appears to stand still while others around them are scurrying around/'killing up selves'.

Then there is Sir. Alex's defenders. His defensive pairing were at times derided yet the record speaks for itself.

However the greatest feat Sir. Alex did was make of his players...entire squad...believers. He got them to work unceasingly...every minute of each game...throughout the season. His opposite managers could not match him in getting the best out of each of their players as individuals or the collective as TEAM. Too often were the times during the season when the managers of those other teams named above appeared in games to have 'dropped their heads' or were caught taking a rest. Not the ManU players...not those answering to Sir. Alex.

Sir. Alex had his players always full of desire to win. Never a drooping head.

Finally: The way ManU played?
    ...always attacking...always probing for other TEAM's weaknesses...always working for TEAM 1st, 2nd, 3rd...never getting away from TEAM...

Each player was always providing support to the TEAMmate on the ball and when the ball was lost put in tremendous work to win it back. The ManU team always came ready to win! ...well prepared to execute! ...and that team seemed to always do!!!

Analysis of ManU's performance after 30 matches by Martin Lewis -

Stats:

http://www.eplindex.com/29894/scouti...-analysis.html

The team that performed best throughout the season won the title. That team had the best manager.
    Last edited by Karl; April 22, 2013, 07:00 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Who name Ryan Gibbs???? On paper, Sh!tty has the best team in the league followed by Chel$ki. Right now, RVP, Carrick and maybe Rooney can start on those two teams.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
      Who name Ryan Gibbs???? On paper, Sh!tty has the best team in the league followed by Chel$ki. Right now, RVP, Carrick and maybe Rooney can start on those two teams.
      Rafael better than Zabaletta and the Cesar.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

No. Zabaletta is better.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

No. Zabaletta is better.
          Jangle, its rare that you openly oppose anything me say. I will welcome it. Zabaletta better than Rafael, put your arguments forward.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Don't fire me please Mr. President............... IMO Zabaletta is a better and more solid defender than Rafael. Rafael however, after this season's performances, shows that he has the potential to become a world class RB. His obvious role model has to be Danny Alves whose game he will soon take.

Comment

Who name Ryan Gibbs???? .
              Oooops!!!!!
              Cho???? ...Giggs!!!! ...he of Wales and BoyU!!!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Don't fire me please Mr. President............... IMO Zabaletta is a better and more solid defender than Rafael. Rafael however, after this season's performances, shows that he has the potential to become a world class RB. His obvious role model has to be Danny Alves whose game he will soon take.
                In Your Opinion? Well, lets look at the numbers.

See the comparison attached. The only thing Zabaletta better doing is fouling the opponents.
                Attached Files

Comment

Well I can't argue against such emperical proof. however, if I had a choice between who to pick in my team, "for defensive purposes", then I would choose Zabaletta.

Comment

Well I can't argue against such emperical proof. however, if I had a choice between who to pick in my team, "for defensive purposes", then I would choose Zabaletta.
                    Oh ... one more thing Rafael have more EPL titles than Zabaletta. Matter of what what does Man City and Rafael have in common? 2 EPL titles.

Comment

hehehe...you win

Comment

Working...
                      X