X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunny or any of the Massive: Please post our last U-17 game

...if you can locate it?

Thanks!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Pint-sized Davis relishing trial stint at Levante

Pint-sized Davis relishing trial stint at Levante

BY SANJAY MYERS Observer staff reporter myerss@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, April 07, 2013

VERACRUZ, Panama — Jamaica Under-17 footballer Martin Davis is being courted by Spanish first division club Levante UD.

The 16-year-old, who left for Spain two years ago through the Next Generation Camp, said the programme has enhanced his blossoming career and has already opened doors for him.

Martin Davis (left) and team captain Junior Flemmings in discussion at the team’s hotel on Friday. (PHOTO: SANJAY MYERS)

Martin Davis (left) and team captain Junior Flemmings in discussion at the team’s hotel on Friday. (PHOTO: SANJAY MYERS)

The small-framed Davis, who is currently here with the national squad competing in the CONCACAF Under-17 tournament, said one such opening has been a trial invite from the Valencia-based club team. According to him, the feedback has been on the positive side so far.

"I've been learning a lot and I'm constantly improving. In Spain, they've given me many chances to prove myself as a player, and I've been in talks with Levante, so I'm doing some trials there.

"By the looks of it they are liking it (what they see in the trials), but I don't want to jump the gun. I'm just being positive and will keep doing the best I can," said the former St George's College student.

Now he attends the Caxton College — a reputable British-curriculum institution — which boasts of offering good educational and sporting facilities.
    Davis, who likes playing wide on either side of his team's attack, assured the Jamaica Observer that he has found that middle ground between the books and his beloved football.

"It has always been a balance. I play football in the evenings and I have school in the mornings. It's all about prioritising -- knowing when to study and when to play and just striking that right balance," he said knowingly.
    How hard was it for him to leave behind his family as a pint-sized 14-year-old?

He candidly remarked that he was tear-stricken at first, but gradually comforted himself in the knowledge that the move was for the greater good.
    "The first few months you cry a little because you miss your parents, but as you go along you adjust. It's always tough leaving so young, but as a young football player you have to have in mind that what you are doing is for the better of your career. That's how I got myself through that time," Davis said.
    Jamaica are hunting at least a semi-final spot at these CONCACAF Championships to be assured of progression to the FIFA Under-17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates later this year.

The young Reggae Boy expressed confidence that this squad can be successful.

"I'm here to support my team in any way possible, whether it's coming off the bench or playing in the starting XI. We have a good chance (of qualifying) and we'll do our best," he said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2PmhxJqka
    Last edited by Karl; April 7, 2013, 11:16 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Did Martin start? ...did he play any at all?

If he did, was he good?

Comment

He sounds intelligent and determined.

Comment

Do not remember seeing him.
          Chicken, Chipper, Andy Williams, Davis.., all short.

Comment

Martin started and was subbed at some point in the second half. No idea how he played.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Some of us have been interested in him for about 2+ years! He has been at a top world academy for some time. Therefore *he is a guinea pig whereby we can compare our local talent. May among things point to what we can do to improve teaching our local based kids????

I am very, very interested in what he brought to the table - movement and passing, passing and movement...work-rate...intelligence...technical skills.

*Comparison with the local home developed kids:-
              Far advanced - somewhat advanced - not too far advanced - on par (no better) - not up to par with the locals???
              Last edited by Karl; April 7, 2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

He didn't play that well. Was weak defensively, had a couple good moments in attack and turned over the ball on others. I am not sure how old he is now, but he looks very very small compared to all the other players.

Comment

Thanks!
                  16+ years old (I think).

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X