RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All this talk about goal line technology...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this talk about goal line technology...

The offside rule has allowed more illegal goals, or overruled legitimate ones, than goal line technology could ever be called upon to make a determination. So why aren't we doing something about that?

In today's CL matches there were offside goals by Zlatan for PSG and Muller for Bayern. To me, they were clear enough to be called by the official, but they weren't and the goals stood.

Get rid of that silly offside rule!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    The offside rule has allowed more illegal goals, or overruled legitimate ones, than goal line technology could ever be called upon to make a determination. So why aren't we doing something about that?

In today's CL matches there were offside goals by Zlatan for PSG and Muller for Bayern. To me, they were clear enough to be called by the official, but they weren't and the goals stood.

Get rid of that silly offside rule!
    Every once in a while you say something that makes sense. 99.08% of the time yuh just wrong.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I hope you had a great Easter, Lazie!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Sounds great?!
        ...do we get rid of the assistant referees?

Perhaps we should think on the reason why linesmen/assistant referees were introduced to aid improved managing of games?

...then of course there is technological advances?
        Do we get rid of referees?

mmmm?
        Players?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yes, Karl! Get rid of players too!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

If you get rid of players what's next? no spectators? LOL

In response to your post about the focus on goal-line technology when there are other more pressing issues that are easy to deal with, I will ask (rhetorically) assuming there are no changes to the offside law; how did you know the goals were offside? any special technology that doesn't already exist? how long did it take you to figure out the goals were offside?

FIFA just doesn't have the balls to fix what is easily fixable....
            Peter R

Comment

The offsides were confirmed by slo-mo replay. But some of them were certainly suspected during live action.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Exactly... to fix some of these problems they don't need anything special... the old-fashioned slo-mo can deal with the offside issues and it is virtually instantaneous... using the current technology you can call back offside goals; what is vexing is when you are called offside and your're not...that is a chance (in many instances) that no amount of handing the ball back to the attacker can re-create...(if slo mo shows the refs blew the call.

And I think Karl (apologies if it wasn't ) asked about getting rid of refs etc. the NFL uses TV replays for many calls and they still have a bag of refs on the field.
                Peter R

Comment

Just asking, Peter!
                  ...how far will the nonsense go.

All needed to prevent the offside goals is an introduction of the 'goal-line technology'. What is so hard about that?

There is plenty of time to review 'ball over the goal-line or not'...what with time used during celebrations, protests, retrieving ball to center-circle...as you say, virtually instantaneous.

btw - Would the removal of off-side result in 'cricket scores'? ...perhaps moving from current tight games with greatest of emphasis on defense to all out attacking play and ...even scores of 20-20 or jus ole eap a scoring?
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    All needed to prevent the offside goals is an introduction of the 'goal-line technology'. What is so hard about that?
                    Huh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                      Just asking, Peter!

There is plenty of time to review 'ball over the goal-line or not'...what with time used during celebrations, protests, retrieving ball to center-circle...as you say, virtually instantaneous.

btw - Would the removal of off-side result in 'cricket scores'? ...perhaps moving from current tight games with greatest of emphasis on defense to all out attacking play and ...even scores of 20-20 or jus ole eap a scoring?
                      Karl,

What I am saying is that you DO NOT need "goal-line technology" to mitigate against offside goals. The regular old-fashioned replay with appropriately placed cameras is enough... we see it when they show replays and freeze the picture when the ball is being struck and at the same time they superimpose that marker across the field in line with the last defender... I don't think anything more sophisticated than that is needed.

If the offside rule is eliminated then yes, I think you will see more goals but defensive play will IMO naturally adjust to take into account the no offside situation. It would certainly change the way the game is played both offensively and defensively. Will attackers stay up? will the defence stay back and man mark or support their team if they are attacking? will attackers feel the need to drop back and assist in defence? The advantage would definitely fall to the attackers ... people like to see goals, don't they?

At the same time I do not see the mega number of goals (20-20) you mention; I know they did away with it in field hockey and the game has now readjusted itself... in spite of the no offside you still see many low scoring games but the average per game is definitely well above football.

The main problem is the will of the "powers that be" to make meaningful changes for the betterment of the game, whether with e.g. offside rule, or how they treat with racist behaviour among fans (especially).
                      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        Huh?

Just asking, Peter!

All needed to prevent the 'phantom' goals is an introduction of the 'goal-line technology'. What is so hard about that?

Re: On goal or no goal
                        Please remove "offside" and substitute "phantom"

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                          Karl,

What I am saying is that you DO NOT need "goal-line technology" to mitigate against offside goals. The regular old-fashioned replay with appropriately placed cameras is enough... we see it when they show replays and freeze the picture when the ball is being struck and at the same time they superimpose that marker across the field in line with the last defender... I don't think anything more sophisticated than that is needed.

If the offside rule is eliminated then yes, I think you will see more goals but defensive play will IMO naturally adjust to take into account the no offside situation. It would certainly change the way the game is played both offensively and defensively. Will attackers stay up? will the defence stay back and man mark or support their team if they are attacking? will attackers feel the need to drop back and assist in defence? The advantage would definitely fall to the attackers ... people like to see goals, don't they?

At the same time I do not see the mega number of goals (20-20) you mention; I know they did away with it in field hockey and the game has now readjusted itself... in spite of the no offside you still see many low scoring games but the average per game is definitely well above football.

The main problem is the will of the "powers that be" to make meaningful changes for the betterment of the game, whether with e.g. offside rule, or how they treat with racist behaviour among fans (especially).
                          Peter:
                          I do not think "goal-line technology" was being contemplated for offside goals. I messed up - (inadvertently referred to offside) - by referring to offside goals when the aim in that paragraph was comment on 'goals' where it becomes difficult to tell if the ball had entered the goal or not.

...and yes I am in agreement that a simple "slo-mo review" by a designated individual would greatly reduced problems there.

My second paragraph, that "btw" was aimed at possible outcome of eliminating the "Offside Law".
                          Last edited by Karl; April 3, 2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Why? I am talking about offside goals, or those that were not allowed because of a wrong offside call.

I am not disputing whether the ball actually crossed the line or not.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Eliminating the offside rule in hockey did not result in 20-18 scorelines and it would not happen in football either.

Here are some views:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...w-sepp-blatter

http://www.sidelinesoccer.com/should...e-offside-rule

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X