All this talk about goal line technology...

The offside rule has allowed more illegal goals, or overruled legitimate ones, than goal line technology could ever be called upon to make a determination. So why aren't we doing something about that?

In today's CL matches there were offside goals by Zlatan for PSG and Muller for Bayern. To me, they were clear enough to be called by the official, but they weren't and the goals stood.

Get rid of that silly offside rule!
    Mo - at first I thought Mueller's goal was offside, but replay shows it was not. The player in question was the fellow who made the assist, his run was timed perfectly. Ibra's however was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy offside.

Muller was not the one offside. Mandzukic was in an offside position when the shot was taken. Once the save was made and it rebounded to him, the offside should have been called. That same fellow whose run you say was timed perfectly, he was offside!

On second watch, it was close enough to be missed by any official, but it was still offside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ-fkF7YINw

See 1:49 minute.

Paul - Mosiah is correct. Both goals were offside.

..and we can sit here and within a few seconds make the right call with the assistance of the slo mo replays while the idiots at FIFA twiddle their thumbs...

Yuh seit!

On second watch, it was close enough to be missed by any official, but it was still offside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ-fkF7YINw

See 1:49 minute.
                Mo, the video is not there any more, but there's another one (below). In my opinion, he was not offside as he timed his run almost perfectly; look at this video, freeze it at 1:51 and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88ag5fVUu6g

Nice!
                  Imagine if Barcelona had not to play to prevent off-side?

Well I think in future years the best TEAMs will be more like Barcelona than Sam's Bolton! ...if no offside = Goals galore!

Nice!
                    Imagine if Barcelona had not to play to prevent off-side?

Well I think in future years the best TEAMs will be more like Barcelona than Sam's Bolton! ...if no offside = Goals galore!
                    That is what you'd expect, but doesn't have to be.

I took a look at your video here and he was still offside - by inches, but offside nonetheless! Who is closer to the goal line, Paul?

I see you are now saying he timed his run almost perfectly. And you are right - almost!

I took a look at your video here and he was still offside - by inches, but offside nonetheless! Who is closer to the goal line, Paul?

I see you are now saying he timed his run almost perfectly. And you are right - almost!
                        Look at the defender's left foot - it is in line with the attacker's shoulder. Plus, in such situations, the practice is *supposed* to be to give advantage to the attacker.

The left foot is inline with the forwards waist.. there is a body part of the forward that is closer to the goal-line.. that is not in question..

It is close enough however for it to be immaterial in real-time judgement.. the problem was the defender made his move to bring the forward offside too late and thus had his momentum in the wrong direction.. giving the forward a huge advantage when the pass was made..

Karl if there's no offiside...defensive tactics would shift to compensate

Cricket type scores are highly unlikely

Karl if there's no offiside...defensive tactics would shift to compensate

Cricket type scores are highly unlikely
                              Don1, I can only see leaving a player as far forward as possible....therefore that amoeba-like movement of TEAMs - (not talking pace here...but shape i.e. movement of whole unit) - Now if the width of the field remains the same then coverage of acreage means huge holes that just cannot all be plugged will always be there. That is unlike the current situation where the offside - i.e. performing within constraints of OFF-SIDE LAW - demands relative compact team structures (i.e. amoeba-like shape)!!!

Goal-scoring opportunities galore! Goals galore!!!

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                                The left foot is inline with the forwards waist.. there is a body part of the forward that is closer to the goal-line.. that is not in question..
                                I pointed out the left foot in my earlier post to highlight the fact that the forward was not closer to the goal, not that it matters about "body parts", whether it be the defender's foot or some other part of the forward's body. The law reads:

"A player is not in an offside position if:
                                • he is in his own half of the field of play or
                                • he is level with the second-last opponent or
                                • he is level with the last two opponents"
                                I can't see how anyone can say he was not "level" with the last defender...and hence, not offside.