• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That woeful display against Costa Rica

Football
    That woeful display against Costa Rica

By CONROD SENIOR
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013

I've not fully processed the last World Cup football qualification game against Costa Rica, but one thing for sure is what I saw on display was woeful from both teams and I'm not convinced that Costa Rica were two goals better than Jamaica.

Jamaica played with little or no ambition, both in offence and defence. What was surprising was our inability to make some simple passes consistently. No one seemed to have had the 'feel' of the field. Our midfield was out of sorts, with Rodolph Austin having one of his, now consistent, poor games. There is an absolute disconnect from one third to the next. It therefore begs the question ... what was the plan going into this game? It was clear in my mind and that of my son, that no thought went into playing against Costa Rica.

BURRELL and WHITMORE ... have they outlived their usefulness to Jamaica’s football?
    (L-R) AUSTIN ... had one of his now consistently poor games BELL ... should take up reins

Up front, we had two players, woefully out of form for their clubs, getting simple chances to put away. The fact that they missed didn't surprise me. They weren't convincing in training leading up to the earlier Panama game or even during that game. So nothing much could have changed in such a short time. They both have poor scoring returns for their respective clubs; at least this season. So they both got a failing grade in this game of three out of 10.

Let's hope that Darren Mattocks will be recalled to the national squad and given a long run and for Luton Shelton, the country's leading goalscorer, to get back in form before the next set of World Cup qualifiers (WCQ).

With almost no cohesion between the four midfield players, again it wasn't surprising the way that they played. What was totally shocking was the inordinately long time for the coaching staff to make the changes, and still they got those wrong.

Austin should've been the first to exit, with a proper ball handler in Jermaine Hue taking his place. I'm sure that he couldn't have done any worse.

And with our forwards constantly taking up real estate on the flanks, our wide midfielders Joel McAnuff and Garath McClearly were forced to seek refuge in an already clustered middle of the park by the Costa Ricans. Yet we could hardly pass the ball 10 yards without turning it over.

I believe that with time, Marvin Elliot will be a good player for Jamaica but I've seen Jason Morrison and Rohan Reid looking much better in a similar position. Collectively they get four out of 10.

I've always believed that Jermaine Taylor is not a good player at the international level and with Nyron Nosworthy out, the JFF selected Montrose Phinn, which was not a bad choice, to replace him. And as I figured, he would be a spectator. Phinn is a much better reader of the game and a better man-marker.

I do believe that the youngster Carlos Wright of Boys' Town is easily the best man-marker in the Red Stripe Premier League. Taylor was squarely at the centre of Jamaica losing this game, and not for the first time.

Lloyd Doyley seemed sure-footed but certainly not as 'good' as a fit Xavian Virgo.

Demar 'Peel Head' Phillips had an unusually average game. This can be attributed to the lack of space on the left flank that nullified his opportunities to go forward.

Adrian Mariappa was his usual self and I'm sure, like all of of us, missed his partner at central defence.

I've said my piece on Taylor already and trust that the adjustments will be made for the next set of WCQ games. I beg of the selectors to look to young Wright and reward him with even a 'call up'.

Plus, we have another youngster, recently signed to Seattle Sounders - MLS, Ashani Fairclough. He was a Wolmer's and Jamaica youth standout before going off to college and is now making the step into professional football. He is highly regarded by the Sounders.

Even though Jamaica let in two goals, I believe that Donovan Ricketts had a decent game in goal and is getting back to his LA Galaxy days form. Taylor gets a 2/10, Phillips 5/10, Mariappa 6/10, Doyley 5/10 and Rickets 6/10.

Dane Richards, who played a pivotal role in the last round of WCQ, needs to be utilised more.

Theo Robinson certainly brings some excitement to the team and looked good in training. Maybe if they were injected earlier they could've had more impact.

We can keep this nucleus of players together with some subtractions and certain additions that were mentioned earlier and we may just be looking at 2018 with some certainty.

It is clearer now that Captain Burrell and Theodore Whitmore together have outlived their usefulness to Jamaica's football. The entire programme is stagnant and need fresh thinking and attitude. My fervent hope is that either John Barnes or Robbie Earle and dare I say Neville "Bertis" Bell will be ready to take up the reins when called upon.

As for the post of top JFF administrator ... I'm thinking I couldn't do worse than Captain for sure! Collectively they get three out of 10.

Strike up the band. It's time to rise up and be true to ourselves. We will go to Rio but only if we pay our way!

Conrod Senior is a football enthusiast.
    frenne17@hotmail.com

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2PJwbmzBZ
    Last edited by Karl; April 2, 2013, 11:43 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Mmmm?
    Carlos Wright of Boys Town?
    Never even hear of him... Is he a kept secret?

Now Virgo I have seen and thought he was on his team...well X1 have to take the field.

...and Dane Richards, his beauty against Antigua not withstanding, has always disappointed me.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X