Montesso: We must get our tactics right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montesso: We must get our tactics right

JAMAICA'S players are being urged to be more tactically aware as they campaign in CONCACAF Final Round World Cup Qualifying for a spot at next year's finals in Brazil.

The challenge comes from assistant coach Alfredo Montesso, and follows their 2-0 loss to Costa Rica at the Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica (Costa Rica National Stadium) on Tuesday night.

Montesso, who had been suspended from the bench, watched from the stands and observed set pieces utilised by the home team that Jamaica should have countered differently. He says they had simulated such exercises in practice and should have prepared better defensively.

In fact, one of the set pieces resulted in the opening goal at the 22nd minute, which was scored by Michael Umana. The kick was taken from the right flank near the 18-yard box channel by Ariel Rodriguez, who floated the ball to the back post, where unmarked Alvaro Saborio - the second highest scorer in 2014 CONCACAF qualifying with six goals - controlled then played across the goal. "I think that we took too long to adjust ourselves, especially in the set plays," observed Montesso. "They (Costa Rica) were doing that movement. The guy was running from the middle, turn around and received from behind (back post). This happened in the second half as well, so I think that we need to be more intelligent in those situations and then avoid those chances."

In the second half, at the 69th minute, Costa Rica made a play identical to the one which brought the first goal but this time, only that the player receiving the pass did not have time to control Rodriguez's pass with his feet. However, he headed to Joel Campbell who hit just wide from within the six-yard area.

"We've to be more sharp in our attitude and play to qualify this team to the World Cup," said Montesso, who explained other tactical deficiencies in the defensive set-up.

"Once the guy keeps position, a right-footer, we don't need three or four players in the wall. I think that we missed those players in the 18-yard box. We took too long to be intelligent and adjust to that situation. We should've had two players in the wall.

"The set piece was established, they showed that they were going to do the set piece, so we should have had two more players inside to defend. I think that we had two tall guys in the wall, Marvin (Elliott) was one, that we needed inside and they did that movement - leaving from the middle of the 18 yards and move to the second post ... and we didn't follow," lamented Montesso.

"I believe that this was not the best team that we've played so far. I think that we played Mexico, we played Panama, both more balanced teams and unfortunately our team didn't have the same type of performance we had in Mexico or even close to what we had in Jamaica."

team coordination

Montesso was also displeased with the general positioning of the midfielders as he says it affects the team coordination, both in attack and defence. This was especially so in the first half, when one of the two central midfielders, Rodolph Austin, was not stationary; and the wide midfielders, Garath McCleary and Joel (Jobi) McAnuff, were not getting back into the middle on defence, but staying wide, allowing Costa Rica more numbers and an easy lane to run at the Jamaican back four.

"In the second half, we did much better. We spoke with them and we asked McCleary and McAnuff to get more involved because sometimes we say that the midfield is empty, but what happen is that the coordination between the two wings (is not right); when the ball is in the opposite side they have to get inside to compose and release the other gate, so they were not doing that," he reasoned.

"In the second half, especially Austin and Marvin (Elliott), they centralised themselves much better in the middle of the pitch and then we were able to control that movement in there."

The Reggae Boyz are bottom of the hexagonal series on two points. Panama lead with five, the United States, Honduras and Costa Rica have four while Mexico have three. All the teams have played three of 10 matches.

Jamaica have only scored once in the final round, Elliott's header in 1-1 draw against Panama at the National Stadium and Montesso is concerned about the conversion rate.

"I worry because we don't capitalise," he said. "But at least we are building, we are creating. We created against Mexico very good chances; we scored against Panama; Tuesday we created the chances again - Luton (Shelton) got one with the goalkeeper, Beckford (Jermaine) came outside and the goalkeeper did a very good save; we had another chance with Demar (Phillips), inside 18 yards, so we've been creating those chances. Teddy (Jermaine Johnson) also did a good movement and had one saved from outside 18 yards, but we've to believe more in that because in high-level football sometimes you have to create chances to score two or three goals.

"We had many chances outside 18 yards to kick and then when you start to kick from outside the 18 yards you start to force the defenders to attack the ball and open the options to put that ball between the defenders," Montesso pointed out.

Montesso says Jamaica is still very much in the race for a spot in Brazil.

"Remember clearly our qualification in 1997," noted Montesso, a Brazilian who also worked with the Jamaica team when Rene Simoes was head coach in the successful 1998 qualifying. "We finished four games and we had just one point. I think that we've to believe, we've to keep our team in a positive way, in a positive mood and, of course, improve every day.

The top three countries from the six-team round advance automatically to Brazil 2014. The fourth will engage in a two-way play-off against Oceania champions New Zealand with the winners advancing to the World Cup.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

B.S ...how much of that so call control of the midfield in the 2nd half was down to C. Rica playing a counter attacking game after sitting on a 1-0 lead ?

From what I am hearing these guys didnt have a clue , and its all to blame the players ...centralised after the 2nd half and had more control ? and he harps on the fools gold of launching bombs out of the 18 yard box .

According to them , nothing was wrong with the tactics but the players failure to follow through.

B.S ! ... so C. Rica mussi get nuh credit .
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Who does this Montesso guy trying to kid?

Comment

I don't really see anything wrong with what he saying. The tactical plan is fine, it is their player selection that is the problem and their expectations of people to execute tactically in roles that they are not suited for.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
          I don't really see anything wrong with what he saying. The tactical plan is fine, it is their player selection that is the problem and their expectations of people to execute tactically in roles that they are not suited for.
          Exactly, you can't use a carpenter to wire your house!!

Comment

With that said, man like McCleary, Beckford and Elliott need to stop play foolishness. They have been playing crap in their familiar positions.

Comment

Yuh nuh see a contradiction .....it is their player selection that is the problem and their expectations of people to execute tactically in roles that they are not suited for.....

Yuh expect people to execute and then blame players ?
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

With that said, man like McCleary, Beckford and Elliott need to stop play foolishness. They have been playing crap in their familiar positions.
                You want to take Elliott name out of that, Elliott played 1 below par game against Panama even though he scored, his other 2 performances have been good.

Comment

Sorry, not taking that back. He looked poor in Costa Rica too. He is starting to move like Darren Moore.

Comment

Him probably believe that McAnuff and McCleary will be able to come inside when the ball is on the opposite flank. And he thinks Shelton will drop off to assist Austin and Elliott. Now the the two wingers I understand. Expecting more from Shelton or Beckford, is the issue. Especially when Teddy played that position so well in Mexico and when he came on against Panama and Costa Rica.

Comment

Sorry, not taking that back. He looked poor in Costa Rica too.
                      I can't agree with that, he done exactly what you would want from a holding midfielder, his passing was good, positioning was good and really kept the fort when Rudy went wandering!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                        I can't agree with that, he done exactly what you would want from a holding midfielder, his passing was good, positioning was good and really kept the fort when Rudy went wandering!!
                        By time we got deep into the second half his only positioning was staying still and looking like him couldn't even breathe.

Comment

By time we got deep into the second half his only positioning was staying still and looking like him couldn't even breathe.
                          Eh!eh!eh! you funny to rahtid. That is what happen when your coaches set up your team so you get outnumbered in midfield

Comment

He looked that way in the Panama match also when he had both McAnuff and Austin in the middle with him.
                            He was doing the least running of all the midfielders and look the most buss. Is not even like he was tackling either, he was simply zoning and getting in front of attackers. And from the start of the game, his off the ball movement when we were in possession was substandard.

Comment

He looked that way in the Panama match also when he had both McAnuff and Austin in the middle with him.
                              He was doing the least running of all the midfielders and look the most buss. Is not even like he was tackling either, he was simply zoning and getting in front of attackers. And from the start of the game, his off the ball movement when we were in possession was substandard.
                              You are a perfect example of the so called fans who criticise for criticise sake, without any valid reason to do so. Football is a simple game boss, there is no need to run up and down if you don't need to. If you've got good positional sense and understand the game tactically then that is half the job done. You are the same one that said Elliott is a poor passer and can't keep the ball under pressure, watch that Costa Rica game again and see that his passing was immaculate, he had 1 pass that did not find the target and that was late in the game. Gwaan criticise my youth!!

Comment

Working...
                              X