Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What went wrong for Austin?

SAN JOSé, Costa Rica:

Rodolph Austin did some serious running Tuesday night in the CONCACAF World Cup qualifying football game.

The big Jamaican midfielder covered almost every blade of grass on the Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica (Costa Rica National Stadium) pitch, trying to help his team win the ball from their Central American counterparts, who won 2-0.

As he explains, however, an imbalance in the Reggae Boyz midfield caused him to do more running than he had to.

Working so hard

"We talked about it before the game (tracking in midfield), that one of the strikers should come back and help, but that wasn't happening. It was me and Marvin (Elliott) alone, three versus two, and they were floating. Sometimes I'm just trying to help someone else," said Austin, noting a factor that had him working so hard many times without success as Costa Rica cleared easy passage through midfield, especially in the first half.

Alfredo Montesso, the Jamaica team's assistant coach, explained the imbalance developed because the flank midfielders weren't consistently adjusting.

"In the second half, we did much better," said Montesso, who was suspended from the bench after being ejected in the Panama match.

"We spoke with them and we asked McCleary (Garath) and McAnuff (Jobi) to get more involved because sometimes we saw that the midfield is empty, but what happen is that the coordination between the two wings (is not right). When the ball is in the opposite side, they have to get inside to compose and release the other gate, so they were not doing that.

"In the second half, especially Austin and Marvin (Elliott), they centralised themselves much better in the middle of the pitch, and then we were able to control that movement in there."

More control

With that restriction on Costa Rica, Jamaica exercised more control in midfield, but could not score, despite creating openings.

"We beat ourselves," said Austin, who rifled a 35-yard free kick that was brilliantly saved by goalkeeper Keylor Navas diving to his left in the first half.

"We played a good game in some phases, but we gave up two goals and we've to be disappointed. We can't want to go to the World Cup if we play like this.

"We're not scoring and, if we're getting chances and not scoring, then we can't win. Goals win games," he admitted.

"But we're not here to point fingers at each other, we just have to accept the fact that we lost.

"It's a team thing and we've already talked about it. We still can qualify, we have the team to qualify, we just have to help each other, support each other, and as I said before, we can't kill each other, we just have to go out there and work hard now," he said.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Madness , desinged to fail , its coming out Tappa give Austin instructions to be the creative midfielder , a hear Shelton saying Tappa saying he should operate as a midfielder , troubling comments , suh Austin and Shelton suppose to run di middle , is that Tappa 4-5-1 ?

Tuff ead ! or mad ead ?
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
      Madness , desinged to fail , its coming out Tappa give Austin instructions to be the creative midfielder , a hear Shelton saying Tappa saying he should operate as a midfielder , troubling comments , suh Austin and Shelton suppose to run di middle , is that Tappa 4-5-1 ?

Tuff ead ! or mad ead ?
      BOTH !!
      Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

"We talked about it before the game (tracking in midfield), that one of the strikers should come back and help, but that wasn't happening. It was me and Marvin (Elliott) alone, three versus two, and they were floating. Sometimes I'm just trying to help someone else," said Austin, noting a factor that had him working so hard many times without success as Costa Rica cleared easy passage through midfield, especially in the first half.

The best forward, for the 'Boyz, to do this is Ryan Johnson (as he did in the Mexico game), BUT he was on the bench.....and they had two straight up forwards starting, and expecting them to execute something they are NOT "comfortable" with.

Comment

Shelton has been playing as a midfielder wide left, but said he favours playing off the shoulder of defenders and admits that the team's lack of coordination and success could be pinned to the fact that there's an influx of new players who have not begun to gel.
          "I haven't been playing striker (out and out) for the national team for a while and I'm always on the left. I think the coach knows best and what he wants. I've been playing on the wing for my club and I've been doing well, so if the coach chooses to put me anywhere, I'm willing to play,"

So exactly what was the tactical instructions for the midfield?

Shelton and Austin to runnnn haaaard ! BTW our play(min) lived on the left .

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

As he explains, however, an imbalance in the Reggae Boyz midfield caused him to do more running than he had to. (Rudi Austin)

Because they had him playing a position that was "foreign" to him PLUS he had to cover for the forward who didn't track back.

Comment

Exactly what I been saying and everybody tearing off my shut about it, we cannot afford to waste two playing forward if you have no control over the mids, they are playing 3-5-2 which means five mids playing four, also two of our four were playing deep and two playing on the flank how the hell are we going to compete, we left the middle of the park wide open, thus Austin and elliott had more space to cover thus creating a vacuum between defense and link, or a hole for cr to exploit.

Comment

The whole set up wrang ,as uttered by the players , Tappa seemed to employ a 4-5-1 with Shelton giving instructions to help Austin in the middle , he did give instructions for the wings to be utilised .

As I saw it , Shelton lived on the left wing and rarely ventured back to help Austin , Austin compensated for this by overdoing it , picking up a silly cards and giving up alot of room.True it was one of Austins worst games , but that wasnt his fault , he played to instructions .

Tappa ead tuff.

Comment

Now yuh gone ! 3-5-2 ...lol ...Tappa set up 4-5-1 from the horses mouth Shelton say left midfield and Austin said man suppose to help im out ...kissteeth....who were the 3 at the back ?

Comment

Cr played 3-5-2 not us, all I said as in posts before if your opponent has five mids and you have four, and your four spread more like a square that a diamond, with the tendency to leave the middle open then you are at a disadvantage. They gambled with 3-5-2 and it paid off, they had the extra guy in mid and cut back on defense and it worked. We gambled the other way add more up top, problem is we did not control mids at the critical time and they did, so we wasted our extra help where we couldn't even get the ball to.

Comment

Gambled ? you dont think they watched us against Panama ? The gamble was hoping Tappa carry on wid di same almshouse and he did .All they had to do was pressure that midfield and shut down the wings .

Come on Stoni...gambled ? gi di man dem credit.

Comment

Austin is saying some players were not playing enough defense!
                        ...that to me means we were playing 'short'.

Said it before...too many times we gave up on the ball (the play). Too times many we said to our opponents - did it in the Panama match and again in the Costa Rica match -"You first"!

That saying "you first" allowed great pressure...not only in midfield but also on the wings - remember Joel Campbell 'murdered' us there? ...and later the Costa Rican #20 came on and burned us for speed there...not to mention his brilliant goal???!!!

We cannot play with any of our players not giving full effort on attack and on defense!!! ...we have guys working at greater pace than 'you know how' and it is plain we need more effort...

...and the solution being banded about is bring in someone in midfield who cannot give us anything on defense and who is 'dead slow'?

WE ARE CREATING CHANCES!!! ....many chances!!!
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                        X