• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Mission To Rio' is still on, say Boyz

'Mission To Rio' is still on, say Boyz

BY IAN BURNETT with the REGGAE BOYZ in Costa Rica - WORLD CUP QUALIFIER
    Thursday, March 28, 2013

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica -— There is still belief in the Reggae Boyz camp that they can gain qualification to the Brazil FIFA World Cup Finals next summer, despite slipping to the bottom of the hexagonal after Tuesday night's 0-2 loss to Costa Rica.

They got their campaign off to an exciting start when they held the mighty Mexico goalless at the Azteca Stadium on February 6, but followed up with two sub-par performances against Panama (1-1) at home last Friday night and against Costa Rica.

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica — Jamaica’s Garath McCleary dribbles away from Costa Rican players during their CONCACAF World Cup qualifying match at the National Stadium here on Tuesday. Costa Rica won 2-0. (PHOTO: GARFIELD ROBINSON)

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica — Jamaica’s Garath McCleary dribbles away from Costa Rican players during their CONCACAF World Cup qualifying match at the National Stadium here on Tuesday. Costa Rica won 2-0. (PHOTO: GARFIELD ROBINSON)

The Panamanians led the six-team group with five points, one ahead of Costa Rica, Honduras and the USA, with Mexico next on three and Jamaica on two.
    Costa Rica, who were desperate for the win, opened the scoring in the 22nd minute through Michael Umana, and substitute Diego Calvo made the game safe eight minutes from the end.

In between, Jamaica had two decent first-half chances to hit the target but were far from clinical. In addition, they failed to connect with their passes with any degree of consistency, which made the game easier for the hosts.
    There was consensus that the team failed to perform at an acceptable standard for the second game running.

"A pretty poor effort again," explained captain Donovan Ricketts at game's end. "I think we have the ability to do much better. We have things we need to sort out and get back on the right track and I think we have time to do it," he added.

For Jermaine Johnson, who will be suspended for the next game on June 4 against Mexico at the National Stadium after receiving his second yellow card of the final phase, it's time for introspection.

"I think we didn't do ourselves any justice by going out there and putting on that display," Johnson asserted. "... but I think the second half was a much better team game, but to be honest, we need to look at ourselves and come again and just try to recover for the next game."

Central defender Jermaine Taylor thought the team could have done much better.

"Everything is for a reason, and you don't want to talk too much on the negative side of the game, but I think overall we could have done much better in the game in terms of tactics and things like that, and working on and off the ball, and that hurt us in the game."

Marvin Elliott, the central midfielder who notched his first international goal for Jamaica against Panama last Friday night, explained that the players are disappointed because they genuinely know that they are capable of much better.

"We are definitely in with a chance, and the reason why we are so disappointed is that we know we are better than we are showing. If that wasn't the case then maybe we wouldn't be how we are," he said.

He added: "First half we let in a sloppy goal, which I thought we could have defended much better, but the first half we thought was quite even though we were one nil down. We thought if we could come into the second half and get the first goal we could go on and win it. There was a lot of space on the park to play; they were letting us play.

"In the second half I thought we were dominating it, but we couldn't get the goal really, and they got the second goal and really killed the game, so yeah, we are disappointed, especially with that amount of space that they gave us and if they allowed us to play we have got to be more clinical, be more ruthless and punish them and obviously not let in two goals."

He also lamented the fact that the Reggae Boyz were guilty of giving away the ball far to frequently, and even when there was no pressure on them. "We'll work on it and hopefully get it right in June. We need to keep clean sheets for starters, score more goals, keep the ball better, we've still got a few things to work on."

Elliott's partner at central midfield, Rodolph Austin, preferred to look ahead, as he struggled to find a reason for the team's dismal showing..

"We are disappointed as a team. We have talked about it, but we just have to help each other. We tried to play, but it didn't happen, I don't know (why), to be honest with you, but we all talked about it in the dressing room. It is history now; we can't do anything about it."

Skipper Ricketts was also unimpressed with the quality of defending on the first goal.

"I didn't think we reacted quickly in the box. The ball came back post, then it came back across and we were pretty slow in getting the ball cleared and getting it sorted in the box to defend the cross; that was just sloppy play all round," he explained.

"I think basically we are not on the same page. Some want to play and some want to go long, so I think that needs to be better and everyone on the same page."

Taylor identifies miscommunication for the first goal, and he believes the team needs improving in that area.

"I think it was just miscommunication and missing a marking. I think overall we need to do better at set pieces and defending because it is one of the things that cost us games. I think when you have guys coming back to pick up and not knowing defensive roles, it is going to be tough, but it is one of those days when guys get free and it hurt us, so we just have to move forward and leave this game behind."

Despite languishing at the bottom of the points table, the Boyz are firm in their belief that they can turn their fortunes around and gain a spot in Brazil next summer.

"It is not time to panic, we have four games at home and if we sort what we need to sort out and get our game right, I think we still have a chance," the captain asserted.

Said Austin: "We definitely can still get the job done, it is not going to be easy, but we just have to stick together as a team, we can't point fingers at each other because it is a team thing. Sometimes when things like these happen it can be good because you know that your back is against the wall and you work hard and do better. We just have to win our home games and play tighter away."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2Opq4Geai
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

'A chicken without a head'

'A chicken without a head'

Experts lambast Boyz for ‘poor’ Costa Rica rendition

Thursday, March 28, 2013

A chicken without a head, a lack of cohesiveness, lack of movements, poor communication, the need for a good passer of the ball, players out of positions; were some of the reasons given why Jamaica slumped to their first defeat of the CONCACAF World Cup qualifying play-offs on Tuesday night, crashing 0-2 to Costa Rica in that country.

Coaches Dr Dean Weatherly of Montego Bay United and former Sporting Central Academy's Nigel Stewart struck similar notes in their assessment of the Reggae Boyz.

STEWART... most of the bad passes were because of poor communication

WEATHERLY... there was no composure, but the team spirit was there
    Jamaica defender Jermaine Taylor makes a sliding tackle against Costa Rica’s Diego Calvo during their CONCACAF World Cup qualifying match at Costa Rica National Stadium on Tuesday night. Costa Rica won 2-0. (PHOTO: GARFIELD ROBINSON)

Dr Weatherly noted that the team started very well defensively, but lost concentration and conceded the first goal in the 22nd minute.

"For players of that calibre that we have, there is no way we should have a free man standing at the far post and nobody marked him," noted Weatherly.

"After the goal scored everything went through the window as far as game plan. We were disjointed and there was no leader on the field to say 'come on now, get back together and forward again'.

"We were like a chicken without a head. It was very obvious and I didn't like the game," Dr Weatherly told the Jamaica Observer yesterday.

"Donovan (Ricketts) in the goal is kind of too far to motivate them like that. We needed somebody like a senior midfielder to do that," he added.

"Panama came here and [taught] us football possession-wise and playing a similar team like Panama, which is Costa Rica, we lost everything. There was no composure, but the team spirit was there, I saw the fight and they never lie down and play dead. But the fight was individualism. I didn't see the cohesiveness," said Weatherly.

Meanwhile, Stewart pointed out that the team started well and looked as if they went there to win, "but then for some reason we just crumbled".

"We lacked movement and we needed somebody in midfield to pass the ball. We just win it and turn it over, win it and turn it over," noted Stewart.

He then made mention of players playing out of position and a few names came to mind.

"If Jermaine Taylor cannot make the team at his rightful position he must sit down. I not sure which position he really wants to play and which one suits him.

"Plus, I think once Austin (Rodolph) start to play the offensive role... he must go back in front of the defence and play that role. Since he has been up there we haven't got any shots from him. We need to look at that," said Stewart.

"They make it look like we play our best game against Mexico. Last night the movements were poor, we were not consistent, and I think because the players not playing in their right positions. For me Austin is one of the best holding midfielders, not attacking midfielder," he reiterated.

"We have forwards and nobody to pass the ball to. I am not saying he (Jermaine Hue) is the solution, but at this time he should play.

"Tappa as a skill person playing midfield (in his playing days), it is very hard for me to believe that he is picking the team and not picking a skilful person. Everybody in midfield is just hard tacklers. Like Austin last night, a lot of bad passes. We don't have anybody who can weigh the ball and secondly, we don't have anybody, to score the goals," Stewart added.

"For some reason I don't see Shelton right now in the team. We should give the guy Ryan Johnson another chance, because if you don't put yourself in the position, you are not going to get the chances. He gets himself in the positions," he argued.

"Most of the bad passes were because of poor communication. The player want it at their feet, while the passer want him to run it down. I don't think we have the cohesiveness needed.

"I would start Teddy Johnson, because he need to prove a point, Shelton is already concrete in the side... we need hungry players to prove themselves. How can we play 90 minutes of football and only get two chances," noted Stewart.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2OprTFcyT
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Play the best passers and our most skillful players in the middle of the park, try that once and if we fail I'll accept that we're not good enough.

Comment

<"Tappa as a skill person playing midfield (in his playing days), it is very hard for me to believe that he is picking the team and not picking a skilful person. Everybody in midfield is just hard tacklers. Like Austin last night, a lot of bad passes. We don't have anybody who can weigh the ball and secondly, we don't have anybody, to score the goals," Stewart added.>

It is very hard for me to believe tuh !

Hmmmm..

Comment

But you believe Tappa dismissed King from the program with strong objection from Burrell with Burrell pleading with King to reconsider ?

Tappa a carry belly fi Hue , dis nuh ave nothing to do with Burrell/JFF big wigs, why ave di man on the bench fi sidung and look pretty ?
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Why would Tappy carry belly for Hue ?

I for a fact know the opinion of JFF big wigs regarding Hue.. suh me work with what mi KNOW !

Comment

Den share it nuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mi work wid what mi see, man run King , man ave Hue pon di bench when wi need im.
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

What you see is Hue on the Bench.. there a scenario where a coach is given players and then instructed to make magic...

They don't see a certain player as the long term solution so the attempt is to try and create magic and then develop players into a role..

That has failed...

Time to admit the error and do the right thing... there is a lot of time to find a more palatable player once you qualify for the World Cup...

In regards to the Mattocks situation.. they believed they could send a message to him and have Beckford do his thing... oops...

Time to admit the error and do the right thing...

Comment

Isn't it "Mission to Brazil "? Rio is the Olympics two years later (2016). World Cup will be held all over Brazil, not just Rio.

Trivial point anyhow. I keep hearing people say "to Rio". If some qualify they may not even see Rio as not every group will have matches there.
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Well, maybe it's really Rio, Tilla. Cobre, Minho, Grande, dem have all sorts of Rios right here in sunny Jamaica!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                        What you see is Hue on the Bench.. there a scenario where a coach is given players and then instructed to make magic...

They don't see a certain player as the long term solution so the attempt is to try and create magic and then develop players into a role..

That has failed...

Time to admit the error and do the right thing... there is a lot of time to find a more palatable player once you qualify for the World Cup...

In regards to the Mattocks situation.. they believed they could send a message to him and have Beckford do his thing... oops...

Time to admit the error and do the right thing...

but there is nothing about this team that is long term.....

Mattocks got the message, now lets give him a call up !!

Jamaican immigration need to cancel Beckford's Jamaican passport, suh him caan come back!!
                        Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

DWL.......chupid!!!
                          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

That's what I say too. Dem must know it should be Road to Brazil. Was it Road to Berlin or Cape Town?

Duh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                            X