• Show
Clear All

• New Boyz braced for Office debut

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports1.html

Taking shape!

Tappa sees improvement as Boyz zone in on Panama
    BY HOWARD WALKER Observer senior reporter walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013

HEAD coach Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore was a somewhat satisfied man following yesterday's relatively light training session at the National Stadium by his band of Reggae Boyz, as they continued their preparation for the World Cup qualifier against Panama on Friday.

With the full complement of all 24 players available at his disposal following the arrival of Dane Richards, Tramaine Stewart and Duwayne Kerr on Monday night, Whitmore, along with his technical staff including Brazilians Alfredo Montesso and Luciano Gama, took the Reggae Boyz through their paces.

When quizzed as to how he would describe the session, Whitmore shrugged his shoulders. "Not 100 per cent, but we are getting there. It's a day by day situation, but somewhat pleased."
    Yesterday's session was the second following the arrival of the core of the players on Sunday in Montego Bay, and they did it in an easy but serious fashion.
    Whitmore gave a hint of what could be the starting team for Friday, by playing the same 11 that started against Mexico on his 'A' team. Donovan Ricketts in goal, Adrian Mariappa and Nyron Nosworthy in the centre of the defence with Jermaine Taylor and Demar Phillips as wing backs.
    The impressive Jobi McAnuff, the steady Marvin Elliott, Rodolph Austin and Garath McCleary formed the midfield with the tricky Jermaine 'Teddy' Johnson partnering Ryan Johnson up front.
    "We called a 24-man squad and we are pleased with the 24 players to represent the country at this time. We are yet to select the starting 11, so any of the 24 can still make the starting team," was Whitmore's response to the possible starting 11.
    However, he did tinker with the 'A' team, by switching the striking pair with Jermaine Beckford and Luton Shelton, two players who missed the Mexico game due to injury.
    The players were then guided through another technical session involving crossing and finishing, with Beckford catching the eye,
    showing glimpses of class and calmness in his efforts.
    But with point man Ryan Johnson having a good game against Mexico, Whitmore might be spoiled for options.
    "It is good, I wouldn't see it as a problem. I see it as a plus, as anyone who gets the opportunity to go out there is expected to give 100 per cent," he said.
    "We have seen improvement from our last training session, yesterday (Monday), so it's a day to day situation," he reiterated.
    But following their encouraging display against Mexico, Whitmore is not taking anything for granted.
    "I don't think the result in Mexico is any pressure, but everyone is coming out to see magic on Friday, and all we have to do is warn our players against complacency," said Whitmore.
    The Boyz will be engaged in another training session which is expected to be more intense, as the time draws nearer to that crucial CONCACAF World Cup Qualifier at 8:30 pm on Friday.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2O40EfSVB

Comment

A fit Shelton ready for Panama

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports3.html

Comment

Come on, Howie. Beckford did not look special during those drills. He swung at one of the crosses and missed completely, looking quite cloddish in the process. He looked better in the scrimmage and that would only be by a smidgen.

Now, I'm not saying him cyaan play ball. I don't believe he received the greatest of service. Ryan Johnson had more chances to impress and struggled to do so. At one point Rico asked me if Beckford was playing midfield because he had dropped back and was actually sending some nice passes forward to his teammates.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Come on, Howie. Beckford did not look special during those drills. He swung at one of the crosses and missed completely, looking quite cloddish in the process. He looked better in the scrimmage and that would only be by a smidgen.

Now, I'm not saying him cyaan play ball. I don't believe he received the greatest of service. Ryan Johnson had more chances to impress and struggled to do so. At one point Rico asked me if Beckford was playing midfield because he had dropped back and was actually sending some nice passes forward to his teammates.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I recalled in the past...report on training was found to be scintillating!!

Come game day...the team ended up losing.

I prefer unimpressive training reports. A game-day win is all that matters.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

You are welcome!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Who do you think will start on Friday ?

Comment

TMI that.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                  X