Last updated at 09:34 GMT
    Facebook
    Twitter
    print
    Riches to Rags: Millionaire footballers who lose everything

By Rajeev Gupta
    BBC Radio 4 You and Yours Reporter
    Comments (385)
    At the peak of his career, Lee Hendrie was earning more than £30,000 a week playing for Aston Villa in the Premier League.
    He won an England cap and was considered one of the best young English players of the late 1990s, in the same generation as Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand and Steven Gerrard.
    But at the age of 35, his days of luxury cars and million-pound houses are well and truly behind him. In January 2012, faced with spiralling debts and repossession, Hendrie was declared bankrupt after twice trying to take his own life.
    Hendrie, who is still playing for non-league side Tamworth, has spoken of his dramatic fall from grace and, according to sporting charity XPro, he is just one of a number of footballers facing serious financial problems. The group claims as many as three in five Premier League footballers face bankruptcy within five years of retiring from the game.
    Players who have gone bankrupt

John Arne Riise
    Brad Friedel
    Keith Gillespie
    Celestine Babayaro
    Eric Djemba-Djemba
    John Barnes
    Jason Euell
    Carl Cort
    "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

How is this possible?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You never ask Barnes when you and him was friend? prior to the wholesale UK recruiting.

Comment

Brad Friedel??!!

Naaah!!
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Maybe this is why he is still playing at age 42.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Very Interesting!

Very interesting reading, and I must admit that I am very surprised!

Thanks for posting this, Peejay.

Comment

Erm, no. We don't talk football when we see each other. So many other things to catch up on!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X