The blueprint for Jamaica's football development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The blueprint for Jamaica's football development

For Jamaica's football to develop there are a number of issues that needs addressing. The key areas are quality coaching, a clear pathway for success, grassroot participation, and a structure that allows the continuous development of players from junior to adult football.

The JFF,ISSA and the Ministry of Education should work together to
    build a solid foundation for young players.

1.A clear pathway for player development that takes players from when they start at under 10's to the end of their careers. A model for player learning. The suggestion is the 4 corner model.

The 4 corner model explained:-
    A.The Technical Corner
    B.The Physical Corner
    C.The Psychological Corner
    D.The Social Corner

a. The Technical Corner is sport specific and includes basic skills understanding of the game and the formats in which they are coached.
    These include

Un-opposed technique practices
    Un-even sided skills practices
    Even sided games.

b. The Physical Corner is both generic and sport specific. Generic issues include agility, balance and co-ordination and are best developed early in life, these apply to all types of athletic sports.
    Sport specific issues include functional movement with or without the ball, body strengthening, speed and endurance as well as fitness elements linked with speed and endurance, nutrition and maintenance factors including hydration, diet, rest and recovery to fuel and regenerate the body.

c. The Physical Corner is about each individual player, their personality, behaviour and how they learn. How they learn the game and how to perform, how to compete and cope with the many situations during a game and coping with everything the game throws at them.

d. The Social Corner is about external influences. How the impact from others behaviour can affect them positively or negatively. Creating a social and learning environment for each individual and monitoring how that individual react and respond.
    All four corners are closely intertwined and never operate in isolation.
    All coaches should base their coaching methods through all the age groups
    to mirror this 4 corner approach

2. Quality coaching:-The JFF should run coaching courses and make it compulsory for every schoolboy coach to have at least a level 2 certificate. all community grassroot coaches should have at least a level 1 coaching certificate and coaching seminars should be run and attended prior to the start of every schoolboy football season, attendance for these seminars should be compulsory.

3. The JFF should start a major all Island campaign to get children under the age of 10 playing football through community projects and at primary and prep schools, it is important that every single child in the country is given the opportunity to play sports. I suggest using former and current players as ambassadors to go around schools and communities I am sure the likes of John Barnes, Andy Williams, Tyrone Marshall, Fitzroy Simpson etc would be willing to help to promote the game.

4. A football structure designed to produce quality players and also one to keep the whole island involved, the structure is also designed to give young players regular competition against their peers. It is important that a competitive edge is maintained for players to improve technically and tactically. Schoolboy football i believe is one of the more positive things about Jamaica's football so this strucure is designed with this in mind.

The Structure

The Elite Development Programme

Each Parish to have 4 representative teams at under 12's, Under 14's Under 16's and under 18's. Kingston and St Andrew 3 teams and St Catherine and St James would have 2 teams each taking into account the amount of schools and size of the Parishes. This would give us 18 teams in each age group. Every team will be run on an academy style basis with the best coaches that are available. The teams would be based at the centre of excellence for each Parish. The compilation of these teams will be made up of the best players in each particular parish, the scouting will be done during the school competitions. Training sessions for these groups would be held twice per week, transportation to and from training sessions are to be taken care of by the Parish Associations through the JFF elite development programme. The competition for each age group would be on a league basis with the teams playing each other on a home and away basis. The League would commence in December of each year. The junior representative teams for the country would be scouted from these competitions.

5.The Jamaica football Academy

The JFF should build a base that houses EVERYTHING to do with the JFF, from offices to training centre for all the countries represetative teams. All the national coaches should be based here and this is where the teams are prepaired for competition. This would also be the permanent base for the countries under 20 team, these are the best players who have graduated from the parish under 18 league and would play in the KASAFA major league to keep them in competition. The structure should be designed so it can run hand in hand with the education system, and all coaching and player development should be associated with the 4 corner model. "The Pathway for success".
    Last edited by Dunny; March 4, 2013, 05:46 PM.

noice werk
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Two physical corner ? but yuh nuh easy.. wheh yuh seh.. Steel innah di Midfeeel !

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
        For Jamaica's football to develop there are a number of issues that needs addressing. The key areas are quality coaching, a clear pathway for success, grassroot participation, and a structure that allows the continuous development of players from junior to adult football.

1.A clear pathway for player development that takes players from when they start at under 10's to the end of their careers. A model for player learning. The suggestion is the 4 corner model.

A.The Technical Corner
        B.The Physical Corner
        D.The Social Corner

a. The Technical Corner is sport specific and includes basic skills understanding of the game and the formats in which they are coached.
        These include

Even sided games.

b. The Physical Corner is both generic and sport specific. Generic issues include agility, balance and co-ordination and are best developed early in life, these apply to all types of athletic sports.
        Sport specific issues include functional movement with or without the ball, body strengthening, speed and endurance as well as fitness elements linked with speed and endurance, nutrition and maintenance factors including hydration, diet, rest and recovery to fuel and regenerate the body.

c. The Psychological Corner is about each individual player, their personality, behaviour and how they learn. How they learn the game and how to perform, how to compete and cope with the many situations during a game and coping with everything the game throws at them.

d. The Social Corner is about external influences. How the impact from others behaviour can affect them positively or negatively. Creating a social and learning environment for each individual and monitoring how that individual react and respond.

2. Quality coaching:-The JFF should run coaching courses and make it compulsory for every schoolboy coach to have at least a level 2 certificate. all community grassroot coaches should have at least a level 1 coaching certificate and coaching seminars should be run and attended prior to the start of every schoolboy football season, attendance for these seminars should be compulsory.

3. The JFF should start a major all Island campaign to get children under the age of 10 playing football through community projects and at primary and prep schools, it is important that every single child in the country is given the opportunity to play sports. I suggest using former and current players as ambassadors to go around schools and communities I am sure the likes of John Barnes, Andy Williams, Tyrone Marshall, Fitzroy Simpson etc would be willing to help to promote the game.

4. A football structure designed to produce quality players and also one to keep the whole island involved, the structure is also designed to give young players regular competition against their peers. It is important that a competitive edge is maintained for players to improve technically and tactically. Schoolboy football i believe is one of the more positive things about Jamaica's football so this strucure is designed with this in mind.

The Structure

Each Parish to have 4 representative teams at under 12's, Under 14's Under 16's and under 18's. Kingston and St Andrew 3 teams and St Catherine and St James would have 2 teams each taking into account the amount of schools and size of the Parishes. This would give us 18 teams in each age group. Every team will be run on an academy style basis with the best coaches that are available. The teams would be based at the centre of excellence for each Parish. The compilation of these teams will be made up of the best players in each particular parish, the scouting will be done during the school competitions. Training sessions for these groups would be held twice per week, transportation to and from training sessions are to be taken care of by the Parish Associations through the JFF elite development programme. The competition for each age group would be on a league basis with the teams playing each other on a home and away basis. The League would commence in December of each year. The junior representative teams for the country would be scouted from these competitions.

The JFF should build a base that houses EVERYTHING to do with the JFF, from offices to training centre for all the countries represetative teams. All the national coaches should be based here and this is where the teams are prepaired for competition. This would also be the permanent base for the countries under 20 team, these are the best players who have graduated from the parish under 18 league and would play in the KASAFA major league to keep them in competition. The structure should be designed so it can run hand in hand with the education system, and all coaching and player development should be associated with the 4 corner model. "The Pathway for success".
        Maudib you a real good student, well spotted. The second one should have been Psychological, i do apologize!

Comment

did you check the US ODP program? Very similar to this.

I also introduced JFF coach Color to this kind of format. I hope he inform the technical teamand the bigman them in the JFF. Lennie Taylor also created a program with St.Kitts where coaching certification was run through the Ministry of Education. JFF can take a look at that.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I are the Eternal Leaner..

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              did you check the US ODP program? Very similar to this.

I also introduced JFF coach Color to this kind of format. I hope he inform the technical teamand the bigman them in the JFF. Lennie Taylor also created a program with St.Kitts where coaching certification was run through the Ministry of Education. JFF can take a look at that.
              I didn't, this is a programme i use and is used by quite a few successful Academies in the UK. I know the US is doing great things with youth coaching, lets hope the JFF can latch on to some of their methods.

Comment

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/program...opmentProgram/
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Great stuff

Comment

A.The Technical Corner
                    B.The Physical Corner
                    D.The Social Corner

These include

Even sided games.

c. The Physical Corner is about each individual player, their personality, behaviour and how they learn. How they learn the game and how to perform, how to compete and cope with the many situations during a game and coping with everything the game throws at them.

The Structure

There are things to quibble about here but I won't...I respect the time and interest you took to put this piece together

What I will say is that while Jamaica can and should aspire to a comprehensive development program....it's important to start small and simple with readily achievable goals...a phased approach prioritizing goals and resources

Otherwise evvyting crash
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

You mean there are things on the Internet we could use?!?

Den how when Carl Brown say dat wi use to ridicule him?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

We Jamaicans will redicule anything, even the best pick up ideas from others to improve.

Comment

Carl said these things are on the internet. You know Carl statement at the time was dumb as it related to more learning. Call a spade a spade.

There are a lot of things we can learn from but it wouldn't be bad to take a trip to Florida or GA to see exactly how it is run.

Comment

A.The Technical Corner
                            B.The Physical Corner
                            D.The Social Corner

These include

Even sided games.

The Structure

When the snow ballers help to put us back on the football map, get us qualified for another world cup generating some welcome income into the JFF coffers we
                            can get the grassroot development rolling.

Comment

snowballas have recommended local players for trials....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X