RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This The End Of The Line For Luciano Gama?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This The End Of The Line For Luciano Gama?

IS THIS THE END OF THE LINE FOR LUCIANO GAMA?

If Jamaica Football Federation President Captain Horace Burrell sticks with his current trend then Luciano Gama, coach of Jamaica’s Under-20 squad, might be heading back to Brazil shortly after they arrived home Thursday night. Following the debacle of the Caribbean Football Union Caribbean Cup where Jamaica, the two-time defending champions, failed to win a game and were bounced from the competition Captain Burrell fired Technical Director Walter Gama and goalkeeping coach Armando Bracali.

According to a newspaper report on the firing; “Following a review conducted by the JFF Technical and Development Committee into the Reggae Boyz’s wretched performance at the recent CFU Caribbean Championship, it was found that Gama “lacked proactive leadership”, while Bracali was deemed to have “not shown enough teeth” in the execution of his duties. “We have decided to terminate the employment of both gentlemen following recommendations of the Technical Committee arising out of a review of the below-par performance of the team at the Caribbean Cup,” Burrell said.”

After another wretched performance at the Under-20 qualifiers, will we be getting a similar reaction?

The national Under-20 squad left Jamaica with high hopes of qualifying for the World Cup in Turkey later this year. Things started brightly enough with an impressive 4-1 over Puerto Rico but from there everything went downhill – fast. The young Reggae Boyz were on the wrong end of a 4-0 drubbing at the hands of Panama and then were humiliated by the home team by a similar scoreline. After the drubbing by Panama, an international coach asked me who was the coach of the Jamaican team. When I told him he remarked “This guy is out of his element.” I asked him why he made that call to which he responded. “He looked like he had no idea on what tactical adjustments to make. That game should never have ended 4-0. Jamaica played poorly,” he said.”The team has no real concept on how to play at a high level. For example, the supporting angles, distances made it impossible to pass. The team could not make a pass. It was shocking!”

These comments came from a highly qualified coach whose judgement I respect highly but I still went out and got a second opinion. Not surprisingly, there was consensus among both that Jamaica’ U-20 team, a team that included members of last year’s U-17 World Cup team, was tested and found tactically wanting.

Now, I don’t know if the tactical deficiencies were solely because of the coaching but when a team makes adjustments and they make no impact on what the opposing team is doing then something is very wrong. I suppose a review of the team’s performance will be done by the JFF Technical Committee and their findings put into a report that Captain Burrell will use to make a decision on the fate of Gama and perhaps Alfredo Montesso. As of right now there seems to be only one option left for the JFF President to do, and that is start from scratch and that means a new approach and a new coach.

That could well mean the end of the line for at least one of the two remaining Brazilians.

http://gleanerblogs.com/sports/?p=1684
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Well Jawge, again I ask: how do account for the Brazilian's results? ...not so much the scorelines but the quality of play by each player and that of the TEAM?

This is not a dig at you...but a longing for an explanation for level of performance of each player...and that of the TEAM (at least we should have had a TEAM).
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Bottom line in both cases it looks like the communication lines are nonexistent, I would really like to hear from someone on the inside what was really going on with these brazilians, there seems to be no fire, no intensity in these teams and the execution to a plan if there ever was one is nonexistent.

Poor leadership and weak communication typically result in any team looking lackluster, confusion in execution and no sense of purpose we have seen that twice in a few months.

Comment

Karl, we saw the same kind if thing when we were in Montego Bay to watch the Under-17 competition. Players did not seem to know how to play as a team. They seem to lack some of the basic fundamentals. These players have graduated to the Under-20s and there is no improvement.

I do not think Gama's coaching is helping the youths.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Okay!

So we replace them with a German coach and we fail to give them the sort of preparation amateurs need to compete effectively in these tournaments.

Then what?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            Okay!

So we replace them with a German coach and we fail to give them the sort of preparation amateurs need to compete effectively in these tournaments.

Then what?
            Mo, is there many youngsters under 10 playing football in Jamaica?

Comment

No need for any foreign coach necessarily just a little passion, what do you think about the communication line issue is there an issue between team and coaches.

Comment

There are a few clubs, and academies, that have programs for U10 players. At least one has a program for 3 year olds! Yes, no typo.

The question is, what are these programs comprised of? Who teaches? For how long? Do they make sense or is it a way to take people's money?

I have never really say thru any to know exactly what takes place. I would like to think some of them are worth it.

Remember, it is when we get up in age that the gap begins to widen. Remember the U17s did rather well in their World Cup last year. Our youngsters always impress. But something happens after 17 years old. I don't know is what.
                Last edited by Mosiah; March 2, 2013, 10:12 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

This is not an endorsement or anything. Just introducing you to one such academy.

http://www.goballaz.com/

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The passion can go so far, Stoni. Unless you can translate that passion into corporate sponsorship so the team can get some international matches and longer camps in Jamaica.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Passion is actually first order of the day, with passion you first infuse your charges, then you get results etc etc.. I have never seen a team, any team which was successful that did not have a passionate leader and or great communicator on it. Every team needs that emotional back against the wall core to it, if you don't have then you have apathy and you get the kind of results we saw with the u-20, in a word they were non-combative, it is all about human psychology.

Comment

And I agree! But it can only go so far!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It is like building blocks, it a corner stone and then that affects all after that, it is a and b in the alphabet you do still need c to z, but without a and b don't bother with it.

Comment

Kinda what I am saying, no?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I am agreeing, we on the same page in a way.

Comment

Working...
                              X