Prolific Ronaldo lauded by Real legends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prolific Ronaldo lauded by Real legends

Cristiano Ronaldo's achievement in becoming Real Madrid's sixth-highest all-time goalscorer, in just three-and-a-half years at the club, has been hailed by Blancos legends Paco Gento, Pirri, Emilio Butragueno and Amancio.

GettyImagesCristiano Ronaldo is already in the pantheon of Real Madrid greats after just three-and-a-half years at the club

Delaney: Mourinho's Decima quest
    Ramos: Ronaldo is at his peak
    Rio: Emotion could get to Ronaldo

The four men, all in the top ten of all-time scorers at Madrid, were brought together at the Bernabeu on Monday afternoon - three days after Ronaldo's hat-trick in Madrid's 4-1 Primera Division home win over Sevilla lifted him to joint sixth on that list with 182 goals, level with Gento, who won six European Cups and 12 La Liga titles in the 1950s and 1960s.

The Portuguese attacker, taking time out from preparing to face former side Manchester United in Wednesday's Champions League last-16 first leg at the Bernabeu, said he was honoured to have a place on the list with such legendary figures.

"It is an honour to be one of these legendary scorers and to be one of the top-scorers," Ronaldo said "To make this list in the short time I've been with the club, to see my name associated with these players is a reason to be proud, motivated and happy."

The former Manchester United man took just 179 games to reach the mark, Gento took 605. Only Ferenc Puskas, who scored 242 goals in 261 matches (an average of 0.93 goals per game) comes close to Ronaldo's ratio (1.02).

Gento, now 79, said he would have liked to have shared a pitch with the club's current superstar.

"Watching Cristiano Ronaldo on the pitch is a delight," he said. "He is a unique player that will mark a period with all of the goals he is scoring. I would have loved to have played with him."

"[That's] Quite an honour coming from the only player to have won six European Cups," Ronaldo responded.

Butragueno, ninth on Madrid's all-time scorers list with 171 in 463 games and now Madrid's director of institutional relations, said Ronaldo's personal ambition kept driving him forward.

"Cristiano Ronaldo is amazing," El Buitre said. "We are extremely proud that he plays for Real. His ambition is perhaps one of his greatest virtues. He wants to get better and he takes each game as if it is a personal challenge. Having a player that guarantees a goal per game is a problem for rivals because it means that they have to score two to win. "Very few teams throughout history can claim the same. I hope he stays that way for years because he is very important to us."

The top ten list is headed by Raul, with 323 goals in 741 games. Ronaldo said he had that mark already in sight.

"I have always said that records are made to be broken, not just by myself but by the next generation of players," he said. "I am happy to have beaten these records and I am happy to have reached these numbers. What I want more than anything is to keep on going and try for first place."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Man score 182 goals in 179 games and people afraid to give the youth the credit he deserves?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Which credit is that.. 3rd Best player all time.. ahead of Zindane ???

Sorry.. wheel and come again..

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
        Which credit is that.. 3rd Best player all time.. ahead of Zindane ???

Sorry.. wheel and come again..
        Who name Zindane?? The man's record is there, in 3.5 years how many goals him score. You just afraid to give the youth his credit because you're a Messi fan. Well, I too is a fan of Messi and isn't afraid to give Ronaldo his due.

Comment

Me ? Is me rank Zidane 3rd best player all-time ?

Or is everybody nuh waan give him credit ?

Wheh yuh seh.. is a conspiracy.. ? Yuh need to understand the basics of football.. a goal is the end product of certain actions... goals are the end product of producing chances.. the more chances the more goals.. logic would dictate that it is the creation of chances that is paramount..

Apply some Critical Thinking.. if you can..

Comment

Me ? Is me rank Zidane 3rd best player all-time ?

Or is everybody nuh waan give him credit ?

Wheh yuh seh.. is a conspiracy.. ? Yuh need to understand the basics of football.. a goal is the end product of certain actions... goals are the end product of producing chances.. the more chances the more goals.. logic would dictate that it is the creation of chances that is paramount..

Apply some Critical Thinking.. if you can..

Karl Lewis was the fastest man in the world, does he still hold the title? goals are the end product of producing chances.. the more chances the more goals.. " Really? I suggest you watch the Liverpool v WBA highlights. Goals win matches. Me see yuh changing yuh tune now. To justify Messi getting world player, everybody spoke about the goals he scored, but now we gonna move the goal post. How many times Ronaldo create a goal out of nothing?

Comment

1. Pele
              2. Maradona
              3. Zidane

Dat is di consensus.. sorry.. if you don't understand why.. a fi yuh prablem dat..

Last edited by Muadib; February 12, 2013, 08:49 PM.

Comment

1. Pele
                2. Maradona
                3. Zidane

Dat is di consensus.. sorry.. if you don't understand why.. a fi yuh prablem dat..

Really? Sorry, I don't normally follow popular consensus. Zidane was great yes, but then came Messi and Ronaldo.

Comment

mi nuh cyar wheh yuh fallah.. a fi yuh prablem dat..

Comment

Let see, Zidane is better(according to you)because the people dem seh he is rank third...,it has everything to do with what they said.
                    Also, it was said at a time there wasn't a Renaldo to challenge...ergo,up to that time he was raked third...
                    There are many things Ronaldo is better than Zidane at doing, ergo, it is certainly easier to state the few things Zidane was better at.
                    ZZ is a seal,he had superb ball control.
                    His(by virtue of being a midfielder)game was crucial to RM players being serviced,a team player(despite as Lazie stated CR isn't really a solo act)of the tallest order.
                    Finally,his impact on his teammates wasn't limited to just making crucial passes,at the end of a less than stellar performance Real Madrid players probably apologized to Zidane(for proving unworthy on the day)than to their coach.
                    ZZ is incredible,with or without the approval of voters.

Comment

mi nuh cyar wheh yuh fallah.. a fi yuh prablem dat..

You present popular concensus. I guess you having a problem propping up a weak point.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                        Really? Sorry, I don't normally follow popular consensus. Zidane was great yes, but then came Messi and Ronaldo.
                        The problem for the last two (not that I neccesarily agree with it but it is a popular notion) is that they haven't won a World Cup. If Ronaldo could ever bring Portugal to win a World Cup, he would hold the trump card over Messi (until Messi won one). The Argentinian probably has 3 more World Cups that he could be useful in, although he will be 34 in the last one in Qatar if that holds true which would put him on the cusp of being past his "sell by" date. Ronaldo will be 29 in Brazil so realistically, Russia will be presumably be his last World Cup unless Portugal takes him at 37...possible, but unlikely.
                        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                          The problem for the last two (not that I neccesarily agree with it but it is a popular notion) is that they haven't won a World Cup. If Ronaldo could ever bring Portugal to win a World Cup, he would hold the trump card over Messi (until Messi won one). The Argentinian probably has 3 more World Cups that he could be useful in, although he will be 34 in the last one in Qatar if that holds true which would put him on the cusp of being past his "sell by" date. Ronaldo will be 29 in Brazil so realistically, Russia will be presumably be his last World Cup unless Portugal takes him at 37...possible, but unlikely.
                          Win world cup? So its now back to winning something? Pity that was thrown out the window in order to give the award to Messi.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                            Win world cup? So its now back to winning something? Pity that was thrown out the window in order to give the award to Messi.
                            I am only the messenger.
                            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

How Messi come innah dis.. yuh have some sort of preoccupation with Messi and Barca ?

Zidane > Ronaldo

Anybody wid knowledge of the game and will understand why...

Comment

Working...
                              X