Beckford's injury blow for Boyz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beckford's injury blow for Boyz

Jamaica's Reggae Boyz have suffered a huge setback ahead of what promises to be their toughest match in the final round of qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup, with one of the team's highest profile striker, Jermaine Beckford, will not make his scheduled international debut for the country due to injury.

The 29-year-old Beckford, who plays for English Championship team Huddersfield Town suffered a hamstring injury after coming on as a 86th-minute substitute against Crystal Place on Wednesday. He had to be replaced by Alan Lee in the 90th minute.

Beckford, who came through the ranks at Chelsea and previously represented Everton in the English Premier League, was expected to lead Jamaica's front line against the Mexicans. Beckford had made 12 appearances for his club so far this season, scoring four goals.

Houston Dynamo's midfielder Je-Vaughn Watson has been called up to replace Beckford in the squad.

"He will definitely be out and Je-Vaughn Watson will replace him," head coach Theodore Whitmore confirmed. "Losing any player is a big blow."

The forwards that Whitmore will now have to choose from are Dane Richards, Theo Robinson and Ryan Johnson.

"I am confident and I am positive with the 23 (men squad) that we have selected," Whitmore said.

"Based on the game I saw last night (Wednesday) between Mexico and Denmark, I have no regrets about the 23 that I have picked."

FIFA's world 23rd ranked Denmark had to come from behind to secure a 1-1 draw, with the highest-ranked team from North America in their international friendly played on Wednesday at the University of Phoenix Stadium, in the USA.

ideal replacement

With speedy forward Luton Shelton absent from the squad due to injury, Darren Mattocks seemed an ideal replacement. Mattocks hit a hat-trick for Vancouver Whitecaps in a 4-1 win over New England Revolution in their Major League Soccer preseason match on Wednesday.

Whitmore previously said that Mattocks was overlooked because MLS is in preseason and therefore he would not be as sharp as the other forwards, yet Ryan Johnson, who plays for Portland Timbers has been included.

"Ryan Johnson is more experienced than Darren Mattocks and that is our choice to pick Ryan Johnson over Darren Mattocks," Whitmore explained.

- R.J.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Originally posted by Twan View Post
    "Ryan Johnson is more experienced than Darren Mattocks and that is our choice to pick Ryan Johnson over Darren Mattocks," Whitmore explained.
    Really?

So why take along, not one, but two youngsters, in Alvas Powell and Andre Lewis. They barely have experience playing senior football period!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Them using the senior team money to stretch into the Under 20 travel budget. Patty shop economics.

Comment

Oh! Dat mek sense den! Dem shoulda did bring more of the U20 to the senior match then because some of those senior players nah go get game anyway!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not a fan

of the cool and deadly style that Watson brings. In this regard i am in agreement to give more of the youths exposure. But let's wait till after the u-20 tournament.

Comment

Some man might start turn down call after a few roundtrips of emptiness.

Comment

The best youths should get the exposure. I have no problem with that.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mek dem stay deh!

It's pretty interesting. Some of these UB-40s may play their first match for Jamaica without ever having stepped on the soil of our fair isle. And they may also play their last match one day without ever having done so still!

LOL!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  Mek dem stay deh!

It's pretty interesting. Some of these UB-40s may play their first match for Jamaica without ever having stepped on the soil of our fair isle. And they may also play their last match one day without ever having done so still!

LOL!
                  I believe most of them, if not all, have already been to Jamaica.

Comment

How do you call in Watson to replace a striker? Watson hasn't scored two goals all of last season. He is also in preseason and is not a forward, he is adding to the midfield.

We are going into this game with ONE or two forwards. Not good.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Ok, great!

I could not care less, really.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Sass, this is the strongest squad available. Yuh neva 'ear!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well it better them did call Adderly. Too much choice here to call Watson. Yes name pon paper.LOL.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sistah 'P' Wi need an enquiry into this !!

How can Watson get called before Mattocks !!!

Is what dem have gainst di yute.. nuhbbaddy cyaan tell mi nutting.. mi seeit fi mi owna eyes.. certain elements nuh like di yute !

Some Big Ego Man dem a play dollyhouse wid Jamaica WC Qualifying..

Is muss intructions Tappa get.. because mi know him know balla...

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                              Sistah 'P' Wi need an enquiry into this !!

How can Watson get called before Mattocks !!!

Is what dem have gainst di yute.. nuhbbaddy cyaan tell mi nutting.. mi seeit fi mi owna eyes.. certain elements nuh like di yute !

Some Big Ego Man dem a play dollyhouse wid Jamaica WC Qualifying..

Is muss intructions Tappa get.. because mi know him know balla...
                              Why the I them fixated on Mattocks? Only 14 players can see the field, had Mattocks been there chances are he wouldn't see the field. That being said mattocks appears to be a very talented driven player that should jump ahead of the pack before this campaign is over.

Comment

Working...
                              X