Maybe the best thing to happen to local football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe the best thing to happen to local football

in a long time. With this and the Digicel Kick start we may have a good grassroot.

Downswell lauds LIME/INSPORTS Primary league

BY ANDREW HANCEL Observer writer
    Monday, January 21, 2013

WENDELL Downswell has lauded state agency Institute of Sports (INSPORTS) for establishing a national football competition for Under-13 children.

Downswell, who has coached at all levels of the national programme, said "Jamaica's football looks bright" following the recent launch of the third edition of the LIME/INSPORTS Primary League.
    DOWNSWELL... I’m absolutely certain that within the next five, six years we will start to see the benefits

DOWNSWELL... I’m absolutely certain that within the next five, six years we will start to see the benefits

#slideshowtoggler, #slideshowtoggler a, #slideshowtoggler img {filter:none !important;zoom:normal !important}
    1/1

Corporate giants LIME, who are in the final year of a $60 million three-year agreement as title sponsor of the competition, were also praised for its role in financing one of the largest competitions of its kind in the Americas region.
    "I must commend LIME, in conjunction with INSPORTS, for the sort of vision that they have displayed by virtue of allowing these youngsters an opportunity of this magnitude to somewhat showcase their talent," said Downswell, a current coach of the National Under-17 team.
    "Not many youngsters get this opportunity at such a tender age to showcase their talent in such an organised competition. I think this augurs well for the future of Jamaica's football and I'm absolutely certain that within the next five, six years we will start to see the benefits," he added.
    He also sees a greater role for the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF).
    "This is a grand opportunity for me and when I file my report (to the JFF)," he told the Jamaica Observer at St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) where the launch was held.
    "Because to have over 400 schools in a competition islandwide is no ordinary feat. I think the JFF needs to give more urgent attention to a league of this magnitude," he said.
    A historic 405 schools will compete for top honours this season.
    That's a jaw-dropping 10,125 player-pool of talent that will be exposed, identified and hopefully placed in the JFF development system JFF through its local parish affiliates.
    The move by INSPORTS, a government agency mandated to develop sport at the grassroots, has resolved a major headache of the country's football governing body.
    Few local FAs had organised competition at this age group due to a lack of financial and other resources. Now all that changed in 2010 — the inaugural year the LIPL, as all parishes are well represented.
    Furthermore, it is mandatory for each team to have at least one female in its squad of 25, thus keeping in line with the philosophy of the football's world governing body, FIFA, that the future of the game lies with women.
    Talks of a new deal between the state agency and LIME are yet to surface, but so far the partnership has been rewarding, acccording to LIME's sponsorship manager Stephen Miller.
    "It is the final year of the agreement, but we are definitely looking at extending this very fruitful agreement with INSPORTS," Miller said in an interview with the Observer.
    "We have invested quite a bit into the competition. A lot has been garnered; lot of intangibles. The values that we've seen instilled in the coaches (and) the players are remarkable, and as a major corporate citizen, these are some of the wins we count when we are looking back at our sponsorships.
    "Financial returns are important, but the values, harnessing and development of these kids are immeasurable," he added.
    According to Miller, the tremendous reach that the LIME/INSPORTS Primary League has is a major plus for its numerous products and services offered to the public, one in particular of having the lowest call rates in the island.
    Since the inception of the competition, LIME has donated several computers to the schools that have progressed to the national round-of-16. In some instances, new computer labs have been established or refurbished. However, this season LIME will be doing something special, Miller informed.
    "For the last two years we have done a lot of telecom service for the schools. But we do have something that we're working on for this year that we think will be very groundbreaking. We haven't announced it as yet, but we are pretty close to (making an announcement)," Miller said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2Ie0R9Ez8
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Good...now cull the best of the lot and place them in academies

Comment

Sounds great but how do you sustain such a competition over time and at the same time derive real benefit from it, I guess if it is a straight knock out tournament it can be done for a while, but that does not mean that the best talent will be exposed or even close to it. Is there already a parish competition at this level, does that get replaced by this or is this a totally new structure for this age level at the parish level, what new value is this creating except calling one school the national champion and creating some pr for the sweet sixteen, elite eight etc.

Comment

This is totally new for most of the parishes. Only in Kingston they have organise prep school football. Most other parishes you don't play organise football until you reach high school. Here talent can be spotted early and work with them.

Cricket and track was a lot more organise as you have parish primary meets which identify talent at a young age and under 12 school cricket competition.

This is part of the reason Kingston,St.Andrew, St Catherint under 13 is always ahead of their rural counterpart.

Now with this kind of competion look for better talent, better coaching. I don't know about the long term but I don't think it is easy to secure long term sponsorship in today's environment. You don't even have to have a national champ. The importance is that primary schools can now take kids after school, train them and compete. This will also get the community involved as I can remember my primary school track meets and school boy cricket games, and how the community was involved. I can remember my brother been identified as a star cricketer and was opening for the St. Mary parish club champions by the time he was 13. And track ahtletes like Doreen Small and MyYout been identified early.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Cricket develop talents through clubs...at least they used to

Comment

it starts at the primary level in Jamaica. Most Primary schools or All age school have a soccer team. This is where most of the talent is identified, not in clubs.

Comment

Yes...but the talent is developed at clubs...only we cling to this schoolboy foolishness...

Comment

"I think this augurs well for the future of Jamaica's football" haha I think Downswell should copyright this phrase. Every time I see an interview with Downswell, the first thing I do is search for this phrase.

Comment

The fact is to identify them early, not when they are 18.
                  Again if you notice most cricketers are identified long before they are 14 years old. Most track stars are identified before they are 13.

That is the first step, identify and give them a chance to develop. Here in the states youth a play ball from them a 3 years old.

Comment

difference between track/cricket and football ...is its easier to distinguish yourself ,,,compared to team sports like football

Comment

far from the truth. It is easy to identify special talent if you know anything about the game. Cricket is not a team sport? The best batsmen can make ducks so how it it easier.

If they play over time then you can judge the talent. As for track that is why they have development meet as people improve over time. The fact is playing at an early age will give you a better chance to pick talent at a younger age.

Most other countries identify their soccer talents early, no wonder we a discover them at 24.

Comment

it is easier for an individual batsman/bowler to shine...in a mediocre team...even easier for track athletes

note easier

Comment

As I said you don't know what you are talking about. As the coach for Akron will tell you, it took 5 minutes for him to decide that Daren Mattocks was a big talent.

You go on trials, coaches know what to look for. How you control the ball, how you pass it. your movement, your tackling technique, shooting techniques etc. Not very hard to see. Just like in running, it is not all about winning but your running technique, arm movement etc. In batting it is about the different stroke play and how you command the wicket. It is no easier to identify it.

Comment

it is easier in track/cricket

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                              Yes...but the talent is developed at clubs...only we cling to this schoolboy foolishness...
                              Development is a process. There is in clubs, as it is in schools, a process of continuing development!

There is never a need to destroy or eliminate one or a part of the process. Different kids (of the talented) will grow and develop in different environment or move throught different environments on journey towards FULL POTENTIAL. ...that of course suggests many there shall be who will never attain development to FULL POTENTIAL.

The key is creating the environments that if exploited will lead greatest numbers to that DEVELOPMENT to FULL POTENTIAL.

Any talk of reduction in numbers of the (business) cubicles as opposed to improving effectiveness of same is nonsense policy! We need excellent teaching from the formative years!

Football and other disciplines: Emphasis on football development specific to the Jamaica environment: It is a display of ignorance to assume that development occurs only in clubs. It is greater display of ignorance to suggest that development should only occur in our clubs.
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X