Diouf pleads for rethink on African Nations Cup timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diouf pleads for rethink on African Nations Cup timing

With African stars playing ever bigger roles in Europe's top leagues, next year's Cup of Nations in Ghana has the potential to be the best yet.

But El Hadji Diouf, Senegal's former African player of the year, believes the tournament could be wrecked as a spectacle because it is once again scheduled to take place in January and February, at the height of the European season.

In 2006, Diouf was one of five Bolton players who missed a chunk of the Premiership campaign to represent their countries in Egypt.

And the Senegalese striker says he can understand why his manager, Sam Allardyce, was so annoyed at having to do without himself, Abdoulaye Faye, Khalilou Fadiga, Radhi Jaidi and Jay Jay Okocha.

"We are not playing the African Nations Cup at the right time -- we need to look at it again," Diouf told AFP.

"Why can't we play when the Premiership is finished? We can play the African Nations Cup in a month at the end of the season. This would make it easier for us and easier for the clubs as well.

"It's normal that the clubs don?t want us to leave and go and play in the African Nations Cup, because they pay us every week.

"You can't leave the club and your team-mates like that, because the Premiership is very difficult. A team like Bolton may lose three or four players.<DIV class=pictureCaption style="FLOAT: right; WIDTH: 245px">

El Hadji Diouf (L) vies with Mozambique's Macamo Paulo (R) in an African Nations Cup qualifier 02 September 2006 at Dakar. With African stars playing ever bigger roles in Europe's top leagues, next year's Cup of Nations in Ghana has the potential to be the best yet. But Diouf, Senegal's former African player of the year, believes the tournament could be wrecked as a spectacle because it is once again scheduled to take place in January and February, at the height of the European season.</DIV>

"I don't think (Chelsea manager) Jose Mourinho would be happy about losing Didier Drogba or Barcelona happy about losing Samuel Eto'o."

Diouf believes governing bodies in Africa are to blame for the current, unsatifactory situation.

He explained: "If you look at the Premiership you will see that African players are doing well -- like Shabani Nonda, Benni McCarthy, and Didier Drogba.

"Also if you look at Spain we are doing well there and everywhere else in the world. African players don?t have a problem playing in Europe -- the problem is in Africa.

"Some federations don?t respect football, don?t care what month we play the Nations Cup just as long as we do. We need good people in charge who will safeguard African Football."

Senegal were World Cup quarter-finalists in Japan and South Korea in 2002 but surprisingly failed to qualify for last year's finals Germany, a setback that Diouf says has made him more determined to help his country reclaim their former status as one of the continent?s elite teams.

In a qualifying group consisting of Burkina Faso, Tanzania and Mozambique, the West Africans are strong favourites to progress to the Ghana showpiece.

But Senegal still have unpleasant memories of the World Cup qualification, when they were unexpectedly leapfrogged by Togo.

Diouf added: "We want to win the Afr
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Diouf pleads for rethink on African Nations Cup timing

Yeah I agree with him 100%. As well don't have the tournament during a World Cup year. Concacaf should stop the two year Gold Cup business as well. - T.K.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

With the state CONCACAF football is in, the 2 year thing is needed.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie (4/3/2007)With the state CONCACAF football is in, the 2 year thing is needed.
        Hehe....Lazie! What kind a wicked argument is that?

Seriously man....They should make it once every 4 years and expand the field of the Gold Cup. They should really look to make it an event. Having it every two years cheapens it to the point that teams send their 2nd string to compete. Who wants to travel to go see that? I wish CONCACAF would step up and put their full resources behind the tournament. - T.K.
        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

"When you see Cameroon, Nigeria and Senegal all staying at home, then it is not a true reflection of the strength of the game in Africa."
          Well? Well? Well?

After viewing the performances of the African countries at that 2006 World Cup, my reply to the above comments is, "goodness gracious" ...or, in my own tongue "Jeeeezzzzaaaasss Christ"!

....dem teams outta A- fi-ka bad nuh r@###$$$! (tup)

Wish I could say the same for CONCACAF! (Pray)
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Who wrote this crap? What self serving European "think dem brain bigger than the African Ras" wrote this? I mean seriously now with all these club tours to Asia and to the America's you think the African Nation Cup have time to schedule their season at the end of the EPL.

Who the F&^*%k!! the EPL think dem is? I mean seriously now no one is holding a gun to their head and telling them to buy Africans they are doing so because now they HAVE TO and because for as long as they tried to UNDERDEVELOP AFRICAN FOOTBALL the way they did the continent we kept going.

NOw I don't agree with the AFrican football administrators on a lot of things but two things I can agree on.

1 Holding the African Nations Cup every helped to make African football what it is now the fastest growing and most exciting Continental championship in the world and with the advent of the internet now the world will see it as dem can't stop the time anymore and watch dem run come with dem money fi show it(watch and see if Fox no try and buy it out before we see our potential to do without them)

2 We compromised with making the African Nations cup and world cup qualifiers one and the same so its the same as the European championship with the exception that we play one more Nations Cup finals.

Now if the man dem note Europe and South American teams hardly play African teams in friendlies so how are the minnows to get better without playing against their own? How you think Togo get so good? Its because dem things came about from a competitive qualifying race in Africa?

European coaches have always tried to stifle Africa's growth and now it has come back to haunt them as most of these coaches were the last to move on cheap african talent and look at Charlton and dem in the relegation zone.

I say good for them and Sheffield a try hype pon dem Africans from Jamaica bout dem a save him fi next year like dem things already seal up.

Leggo Luton fyah!! mek him blaze it pon dem!!

okay back to the topic.

One a level note

IF the man dem in the EPL no like how the African Nations thing set up they are more than welcome to visit Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and the MLS to get talent and leave the Africans to Belgium, Sweden, France etc.

No one is holding a gun to their head.

Now Big Sam nah hype up dem a push the player to do it for them. Tell you bout dem Europeans and dem mental manipulation but dem can only manipulate people who no know demselves as a fi we feet dem sit at and learn so how dem fi know more than dem teachers?

Man medi strong round here, TK you finished the assigned book yet? (40 million dollar slaves)

stop hide and come with the book report no man

Comment

Ras Chatta, yuh understand that words within " " are quotes from Diouf? Suh how yuh a refer to the youth as European now?

When him duh him thing on the field you see him as an African, but because him express himself yuh see him as an European now.

Now yuh see why thinking people cyaan tek yuh serious? By the way, where you get it from that European teams NEED African players? Yuh need fi duh stand up comedy.

Comment

Lazie you want a serious discussion or you out fi disrespect people?

Done tell you say the name is Shatta and mi nah tell you again

When you ready to be respectful you know where to find me

respect

Comment

A wha mek unuh suh touchy round yahso? By the way? Whats in a name? Shatta Cleve, Lil Zee, Ras <STRIKE>Chatta</STRIKE> oops Shatta? Fi a man whey change him name every 2 months I don't see the disrespect.

Lazie ever ready fi a serious discussion, but is not everyone can be serious and objective. Suh I guess yuh gonna run now.

Comment

Working...
                  X