Reggae Boy Burton playing for new deal with Wednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reggae Boy Burton playing for new deal with Wednesday

Massive quick question....is there a Reggae Boyz striker currently playing better then Burton right now? - T.K.<TR><TD class=title colspan="2">

Reggae Boy Burton playing for new deal with Wednesday</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textsmall></TD></TR><TR><TD colspan="2">

By Gary Smith

LONDON, England: Former Reggae Boyz striker Deon Burton is hoping to finalise a new deal with Sheffield Wednesday before the end of the season.

Burton's current contract with the Coca-Cola Football League Championship side is set to expire in the summer, but he is confident he will earn a new deal with the club if he continues to perform the way has been in recent weeks.

"Nothing has been sorted yet, all we can do is to keep training hard and playing hard, and something will happen," Burton was quoted as telling the Sheffield Star.

"I want to stay. Hopefully, it I carry on what I'm doing, and then everything will get sorted. Everyone will have their own incentives; everyone will have their own individual battles.

"We have to try to get as many points as we can. I don't set myself targets but I want to score as many goals as I can," he added.

The former Derby County and Portsmouth striker has become a valuable member for Wednesday since the beginning of the New Year.

After a rough start which saw him failing to score in several games, despite opening up key entrances for his teammates, Burton bounced back to score 10 goals so far in the league this season.

On Saturday Burton helped his team defeat Crystal Palace 2-1 at Selhurst Park to move within three-points outside of the top ten teams in the championship league.

The 30-year-old fired home his 10th goal of the campaign to give the Owls an early second-half lead, before Clinton Morrison's goal drew the team’s level.

However, with 10 minutes remaining in the game, Burton's strike partner Marcus Tudgay volleyed home a late goal as Palace crashed to a second successive defeat, which destroyed any play-off hopes they had.

Elsewhere in the Championships on Saturday, another Jamaican international, Ricardo Fuller, got on the score sheet from the penalty spot to guide Stoke to comprehensive win over Leicester, while Trinidadian, Stern John came on the second half to help Sunderland continue their search for a Premiership automatic slot next season.

Despite playing without the experienced Dwight Yorke, Sunderland where still able to secure a 1-0 win over Cardif, after substitute Ross Wallace curled home a second-half free-kick to finally push them into the automatic promotion places. </TD></TR>
    No need to thank me forumites.

RE: Reggae Boy Burton playing for new deal with Wednesday

T.K. (4/3/2007)

Trinidadian, Stern John came on the second half to help Sunderland continue their search for a Premiership automatic slot next season.

Despite playing without the experienced Dwight Yorke, Sunderland where still able to secure a 1-0 win over Cardif, after substitute Ross Wallace curled home a second-half free-kick to finally push them into the automatic promotion places.

Burton is a tireless working, and is a credit to Jamaican footballers world wide. Pity the brazilian clown refused to adequately use his skills during the last futile attempt at WC qualifying.

TK, when are you going to order crow meat?

You must be embarassed how well the Trini-Sunderlanders are playing. Watch them "will" this team to the EPL next season.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

RE: Reggae Boy Burton playing for new deal with Wednesday

Burton is a tireless working, and is a credit to Jamaican footballers world wide. Pity the brazilian clown refused to adequately use his skills during the last futile attempt at WC qualifying.

TK, when are you going to order crow meat?
      You must be embarassed how well the Trini-Sunderlanders are playing. Watch them "will" this team to the EPL next season.
      But wait...is how much crow meat mi mus' eat pon dis forum iyah? From Shelton to Yorke unno ago a gi mi a lifetime's dose of crow to rhatid.

On a serious note I really thought that age would have hampered Yorke's ability to contributeto Sunderland. I did think at the time that Sunderland was making a big mistake on trying to squeeze more out of Yorke.It was my opinionthat hephysically could no longerput in a full season at the Championship level.Clearly I was mistaken.

As for being embarassed....nah i would not go that far. It is not the first time I have been wrong and it won't be the last. I'll roll with the punches. I wonder if I can nice up de crow meat wid a likkle jerk seasoning. (Clap) - T.K.
      No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Working...
      X