No play now, no World Cup - Burrell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No play now, no World Cup - Burrell

No play now, no World Cup - Burrell says players who shun programme won't be selected for Brazil 2014 finals

Published: Wednesday | November 28, 2012

Burrell

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) boss, Captain Horace Burrell, has made it clear that overseas players yet to accept the federation's invitation to represent the nation will not be welcome should the team qualify for the FIFA 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Burrell, along with Reggae Boyz head coach Theodore Whitmore and his assistant Alfredo Montesso, recently returned from a United Kingdom recruiting mission, which will see eight new players added to the national programme, in an attempt to bolster Jamaica's chances of qualification ahead of next year's CONCACAF final round.

The general consensus is, however, that the JFF failed to land several top targets on its wish list.

In addition to missing out on talented Liverpool youngster Raheem Sterling, who is set to continue representing England, names like Queens Park Rangers' Junior Hoilett and the Swansea pair of Nathan Dyer and Jonathan de Guzman from the English Premier League were among those being bandied about.

no immediate intention
    However, several of those players, while not outrightly refusing to join up with the Jamaica squad, have made it clear that they have no immediate intention of doing so.

According to Burrell, in the case of Dyer it was made clear, by his agent, that the player would not be available until July of next year, six games into the team's final round of matches.

"What I can tell you is that those players who we have invited now and they have asked for more time, they are not going to be invited if we qualify for the World Cup," Burrell said.

"It would not be fair to those who have worked so hard to help us to qualify; we will not remove those players for players who could not come at the time," he added.
    "It makes no sense inviting a player to come here if he has no real interest."

Initially approached to join the national squad a few months ago, Leicester City's Jermaine Beckford and Reading's Jobi McAnuff, who already has one cap for Jamaica, along with Hoilett, all asked for more time to consider the decision.

Beckford and McAnuff were among the players who recently accepted the invitation to join the team, but on their most recent visit Hoilett again asked the JFF for more time.

Despite recently expressing an interest to play for the England national team, the 24-year-old is currently eligible to play for Jamaica and Canada at the international level.

Other players taking up the JFF on its offer were Germany-born Daniel Gordon, Garath McCleary (Reading), Lloyd Doyley (Watford), James Vaughan (Huddersfield), Marvin Bartley and Theo Robinson, a 23-year-old striker, who plays for Championship side Derby County

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports1.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    "It would not be fair to those who have worked so hard to help us to qualify; we will not remove those players for players who could not come at the time," he added.
    I see the Captain reads this Forum, particularly my posts. So, I guess he is also saying that it was not fair to those who brought us this far to go Euro hopping the other day, right?

But I guess most of us here don't care about "fair". Getting to the WC has nothing to do with fair. Eh, Stoni?

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    "It makes no sense inviting a player to come here if he has no real interest.
    "Duh!" statement of the month! Although, one may have to be invited before we know how committed he is. It would be best if the player gets in touch with the JFF and begs to come!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo you are killing me, I have already posted that the door should be shut now. We opened it and some man step forward now everybody else step back.

At the end of the day, I just want Jamaica to be the best possible, a showing in the second round or beyond will do a world of help that you just cannot get a better bang for the buck for a country like Jamaica. With that all the things that everybody talk about especially Don Juan and Tilla will be more easily attainable.

Comment

Ok, Stoni!

Yuh need oxygen or anything? Bear in mind, certain forms of resuscitation are not available!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Ok, Stoni!

Yuh need oxygen or anything? Bear in mind, certain forms of resuscitation are not available!

Gentlemen, fairness should NOT be the measuring stick...rather fitness, attitude and form. If a player elects to 'wait' to see if we qualify, then he runs the risk of not making it into the program - he has to accept that risk, just as the JFF has to accept the responsibility of fielding the best available team. Fairness in football? What a nice concept!! I bet you still believe in Santa Clause don't you? BTW - we would probably be the ONLY country in the world to shut the door on players at this stage. Not very smart and rife with gamesmanship. For example, are you telling me JFF wouldn't put Raheem into the line up if he makes himself available after we qualify?
          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Don't think for one minute that I believe we will stick with this rule! Mi naive, but nuh suh!

I actually would leave the door open. Yes, I know I have said that they should declare their hands from early, even before this Hex round, but there will be situations that will have to be dealt with case by case.

Yes, Raheem may be one of those cases!

So, in other words, generally, I agree with the Captain!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nuh bax dem up Paul , dem too smart .A coach selects his team for the WC when ? this stage that we enter in is just that a stage or round its not the WC , that said man muss understand the politricks in Burrels talk , im ave more sense than dat, im nuh guh beg King the man with a federal charge highlighted by Mo to be excluded.

Hopefully sterling bruk im foot and England bumble out a di WC campaign and we cap im later , mi nuh tink it dun , well I hope not.
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Marin: there are certain threads you should avoid...example this one.

You should just sit back and and watch folks who cannot wrap their minds around the concept that football is business first. It has nothing to do with 'fairness'.

At this stage, the players on board are at best average.

If top premier league professional players ( who we know little or nothing about, and have Jamaican geneology), come out of the shadows --and offer their mercenary services late into the competition--the Good Cap'n Burrell will gladly accept them.

In business it's not whats fair...it's what negotiable.
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

So if I am to be serious for a minute. It seem Jonathan , Junior and Dwyer are the culpritts here. I am saying for Jonathan and Junior if they are not in now move on. Jonathan is half foot in the Dutch setup and may not want to make the commitment. If he does not want to then forget him for good. Although I think if he comes we qualify. I am not sure Junior starts for us as we have many of him he is good, but he is not the general we seems to want.. he is not a conductor of the orchestra but he is good. Dywer is the real ironic choice. Because if Sterling is playing for england along with walcott and chaberlain.. Dywer certainly is the odd man out.. .They all cant play for england and those guys are way ahead of him although they should not be... It is funny how he dont see this. So make him gwan wait... BTW I do think the youth Perch was a better strategic fit as he can play wingback and DM...

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                    Marin: there are certain threads you should avoid...example this one.

You should just sit back and and watch folks who cannot wrap their minds around the concept that football is business first. It has nothing to do with 'fairness'.

At this stage, the players on board are at best average.

If top premier league professional players ( who we know little or nothing about, and have Jamaican geneology), come out of the shadows --and offer their mercenary services late into the competition--the Good Cap'n Burrell will gladly accept them.

In business it's not whats fair...it's what negotiable.
                    Too funny. Ah bwoy...its on days like this that I wish I had Oprah money and could buy off JFF. ~sigh.
                    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                      Too funny. Ah bwoy...its on days like this that I wish I had Oprah money and could buy off JFF. ~sigh.
                      Wouldn't you go for Liverpool first?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No no Cappo, please don't say that trust me, you will go back on your word. Look at Rafa Benetez what he said about the Chelsea job! aaaah bwoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          Wouldn't you go for Liverpool first?
                          No...I would need Bill Gates money to buy Liverpool...Oprah not rich enough for the Prem. You don't see what happen to bruck pocket Tony Fernandes at QPR? Not rich enough with only a networth of $400m (although his minority partner Lakshmi Mittal is worth $16b). There is an old saying: "The only way to make a small fortune in football is to start with a large one". Oprah not rich enough.

Comment

Really ah wouldah hope wi nevah did haffi reach out to dem, but tings nuh allow dat. Man kyaan mek time an travel fi meet wi playahs an dem still waan more time. Nuh more time nuh lef, it done.

Comment

Any man that say the waiting on England would be automatically off my list. I would not contact them again.

Comment

Working...
                              X