JFF, Whitmore fail to explain veteran keeper's sudden omissi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFF, Whitmore fail to explain veteran keeper's sudden omissi

There continues to be no clear answer from the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) or national head coach Theodore Whitmore regarding the mysterious omission of veteran goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts from the national squad in recent matches.

Ricketts, who had been Jamaica's first-string goalkeeper until last summer's Gold Cup, is yet to make an appearance since that time, some 18 internationals later, which has included the semi-final round of the World Cup qualifiers.

Unconfirmed rumours had surfaced that Ricketts, who was a part of the historic 1998 World Cup squad as a third-string goalkeeper, had retired. The player, however, has since denied the claims. Head coach of the Reggae Boyz, Theodore Whitmore, now claims that a meeting must be held between himself and the player before he is once again considered to represent the national squad.

"We know what Donovan did, so we have to have a meeting with Donovan before we consider him," Whitmore said about where things stand with the 35-year-old shot stopper. However, when pressed further as to what exactly the keeper had done and as to what the meeting would be about, the coach gave the same response, this time, in a much more irritated tone.

"I need to have a meeting with Donovan," Whitmore snapped, indicating that he would be pressed no further on the subject.

Ricketts last played for Jamaica in a 2-0 loss to the United Stated in the Gold Cup and has since been replaced as the number-one custodian by Dwayne Miller. Miller, however, had a bit of a shaky time in the previous round, leading to more questions regarding the veteran goalkeeper's whereabouts. Ricketts, who had a strong spell at one point for Major League Soccer (MLS) team Los Angeles Galaxy, was traded to the Portland Timbers for veteran goalkeeper Troy Perkins earlier this season.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Excuse me to say it, but Ricketts done!
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

you been saying that since 2007
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

He is way better than Miller...that dude blows...

Comment

Yes, the writing was on the wall from then.
          I have to admit that Miller made some telling mistakes which caused us to be in a bind near the end of the last round. I feel though that his handling of the game and distribution from the back is way superior to that of Ricketts.

Ricketts seem to do a better job when playing for his club side LA Galaxy and his current side. I did not see that form getting carried over to the national team.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
          X