RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freddy Adu: Too much, too young for 'wonderkid'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddy Adu: Too much, too young for 'wonderkid'?

Freddy Adu: Too much, too young for 'wonderkid'?
    By Ben Dirs
    BBC Sport
    Yeah, yeah, we know, your boy is a bit handy at football. In fact, he's "special". He's had trials with a Premier League club, he's better than all the other kids - and the coaches think he's special, too.

But I hate to break this to you: he's not going to be "the next Pele". He's probably not even going to be the next Freddy Adu. If you don't believe me, ask Freddy Adu. You do remember Freddy Adu?

Adu was, in his own words, "the footballing wonderkid": signed up by Nike at 13, playing Major League Soccer at 14, turning out for the United States at 16.

Now all washed up, according to some, at 23 - on the rocks at Philadelphia Union when he was supposed to be sizzling under the floodlights at Old Trafford or the Bernabeu or the Nou Camp.

Read more...
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Either he was never the age they claimed he was or he just simply hasn't physically grown much since his days as an under 17 player.

Comment

he hasn't grown since "14"? hmmmmmm

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

That happens!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

i hear you and feel your "pain" but not even his head??! how often does that happen????

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

hey, it happens! dammit!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

i mean since 14 ..... your head kept growing...and continues to grow even thought the rest of you hasn't

Comment

You don't know that!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I feel it for him though. Can't recall another such sad tale of over-expectations and hype!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And this is supposed to be his younger brother. Them really need to go look back into the birth certificate thing.

http://gomason.cstv.com/sports/m-soc...adu_fro00.html

Comment

i feel for him too... i think many people resented his early success and hype... from coaches to players to fans of the game... he was never going to be treated fairly or looked at objectively... its like too many people were rooting for his failure rather than for him to be successful... like i said from coaches, to players -teammates and opposition, fans of the game... hope he banks some money and has it invested for his future... it will be even harder on him if he ended up broke... too much resentment...
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

The minute he got so big as a young teen that he thought he could dictate to Nowak how he should play, is the when his career started to fall. And the minute people realized he wasn't going to be special, the supporters disappeared and he was suddenly in a situation he didn't know how to handle.

Comment

The problem is, not may of us thought he was a teen when he came on the scene.
                          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

tank yuh.....for all i know him is abedi pele grandfaada

Comment

I remember Mo posting on this very forum that Adu was 6'-2" 185 lbs and was a monster...dat bredda love drink the kool aid bwoy

Comment

Working...
                              X