RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The good Captain let the Puss out the bag...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good Captain let the Puss out the bag...

And we were led to believe Marlon King was acting like a primadona

Airfare is killing us! JFF seeks suitable travel mode for Boyz

BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

THE Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), even with the burden of high air travel costs, is determined to shape a way to fly its players across the Atlantic in more “comfort and style”.

Its president, Captain Horace Burrell, said it was unfair to the players to be travelling long distances to represent their country and have to be crammed into economy class, which presents great discomfort and health risks.

Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) President Captain Horace Burrell (centre) speaks at the Jamaica Observer’s Monday Exchange at Beechwood Avenue on Monday. Looking on (from left) are JFF board member Leighton McKnight and assistant senior coach Alfredo Montesso. (Photo: Naphtali Junior)

“We can’t ask players after playing a hard game that they can’t even stretch out their legs… a lot of players are playing all over the world… in Europe and even as far away as Vietnam and I can tell you that for the final phase we will be pulling out all the stops to ensure that they travel more comfortably,” he told the Jamaica Observer Monday Exchange.

Burrell, on his second stint as JFF president and the visionary leader behind Jamaica’s four World Cup appearances at various levels, said even without an airline sponsor he intends to vigorously pursue a solution that would see on duty Reggae Boyz travelling home and back to their clubs do so at business or first-class upgrades.

“Our biggest challenge is to get some sponsorship for the airfares because I believe that our players should be able to travel comfortably, which will allow them to play in a way that they know how to do it best,” he told editors and reporters at this newspaper’s Beechwood Avenue headquarters on Monday.

“It’s important to note that it’s an embarrassment to have our players squeezed up in the back of an airplane, while their opponents travel in comfort and style. It’s unacceptable that those players travelling across the Atlantic for more than six hours to be squeezed up in the back,” said the CONCACAF executive committee member.

Now that Jamaica have qualified for the CONCACAF Final Six of the World Cupqualifying tournament and with most of the nation’s first-choice players plying their trade overseas, Burrell said the matter requires urgent attention in the final push for a spot for Brazil 2014.

“Airfare is what is killing us, we tried to talk to American Airlines, but they are no longer interested in that kind of thing as there is no competition there. We would be on our way if we could get our players from the UK, and other parts of Europe flown in business class. But we are really not giving up,” he said in his impassioned comment.

The Observer understands that there are at least 30 Reggae Boyz plying their trade in Europe.

Burrell, who is also the principal of the Captain’s Bakery and Grill chain, said he shared the concern of Leeds manager Neil Warnock in the way midfielder Rodolph Austin was forced to travel after playing “his heart out” for his country recently.

“His player (Austin) was flown in ecomony class, and of course the coach is right because it’s hard to ask a player to travel for 10 hours with his legs not being able to be extended after playing for his country,” said the Jamaican football boss.

“When our players are travelling, and sometimes they travel on the same plane as the Costa Ricans and the Americans who they just played against and who are always in business class, while our poor players have to be in the back of the plane,” Burrell lamented.

He suggested that the way to go is that any player who has to fly for six or more hours to come for a game should do so in the more spacious and preferred cabins.

“For that period you have to travel comfortably, there is no way around that. It’s hard to ask them to come and then to go back and not travel comfortably,” Burrell noted.

The JFF and Burrell, who recently faced flak in a public discourse over why out-offavour Birmingham City striker Marlon King was given “special treatment” when he was flown business class for home-andaway friendly matches against Panama in August, explained the circumstances.

“He (King) had played for his clubs in the play-offs and he had played two hard games and we wanted him to come the day after for a match. He said to me ‘Captain, honestly I would ask you to send me an upgraded ticket because I just played two hard matches’, and this is how he travelled in the business class.

“I authorised it because I thought it was fair and there were no other players coming down at the time, and he was the only one who was coming down. But to say that all our players who travel from England should continue in economy class is something this JFF is going to fight for,” said Burrell.

Meanwhile, Chairman of the JFF Finance Committee, Leighton McKnight, who also addressed the weekly forum, disclosed that air travel can run the federation between $2 million and $5 million per game.

“Back in the 1998 campaign, we had an airline sponsor (American Airlines) where we got heavily discounted or even free tickets, but we don’t have that anymore. We have to fly our players in from all over the world, so that makes the situation much more challenging,” he said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Airfare-is-killing-us-#ixzz2AsctoXNT

why can't professional players with money upgrade

their own tickets whenever the jff can't afford it.
    "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

me want fi know if the back of the plane nah reach same place???
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What exactly do you mean "with money"? How do you determine the cutoff as to who earns enough money and who doesn't?

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          me want fi know if the back of the plane nah reach same place???
          Sass, the front reach before the back, BUT ..its a case of the comfort of the players after exerting so much physically to play. Some might have injuries and being able to realx and stretch out is important when on a flight of over 6 hrs.
          Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

for injury ones I can understand, but it don't mean they should always get it. Most times a regular seat in my opinion is fine. If the clubs want them to get it like Leeds wanted it they should pay for it.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

maybe they did it that one time for the reasons stated and that thereafter it was a standard demand by king.

I actually do not know what happened and this bits and pieces do not cobble together a full story...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Unnu can stay deh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

This is a waste of time discussion. Trust mi!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh serious... if i am marlon king is 1st class or mi tan a mi yaad... a man of his physical size and stature suppose tuh inna business class... nutten less...
                    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                      yuh serious... if i am marlon king is 1st class or mi tan a mi yaad... a man of his physical size and stature suppose tuh inna business class... nutten less...
                      You do realize that first class and business class are different....right?

Comment

Well you tan a you yard cause JFF can't afford it. Nuff other baller a represent them coutry and a fly regular and nah complain. Depends on priority.

Comment

pay the difference!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The head of the JFF is also complaining

Comment

First Class or no first CLASS

First Class is actually a much better mode of flying, especially if the flight is more than 5 to 6 hours long. However, my original point stands someone like King who has money should be able to supplement their mode of travel whenever with due course the JFF can't afford it. Due course means he should try and get the flight paid for during a reasonable time period by the Jff then if it's not successful pay from his own pocket.
                              Assassin you are wrong to suggest traveling in economy class trust me I traveled last year to the Uk first class and this summer economy class and there is a vast difference. I fervently requested and got an aisle seat this summer just to ease my cramped legs. It felt so much better trust me when I say it does. Moreover, I am only 5' 8'' tall.
                              These little comforts might seem minute to you but it makes a world of a difference to athletes. Try to remember Bolt's insistence on his bed preference.
                              My personal belief echoes that of these players and the captain's all these ballers should and must travel at the very least business class. Now you can see Bricktop's reason for suggesting it is in Sterling's better interest to play for England who charter their flights. Arsenal used Emirates Airlines to travel this summer, and you would be best to see inside one of these airplanes, pure hotel 5 star on wings.
                              The JFF marketing arm need revamping in selling our brand. I notice the good captain always ask for monies for specific items, without regards to sustainability. They need better financing and sustainable financing whether from better deals or branding.
                              Last edited by PeeJay; November 2, 2012, 10:31 AM.
                              "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

Working...
                              X