RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let’s look at the Jamaican football scene from a different angle - fan support.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let’s look at the Jamaican football scene from a different angle - fan support.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">After watching the Champion Cup and the international match between <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">Jamaica</st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Panama</st1lace></st1:country-region>, it was very disappointing to see the number of empty seats in the stadia. We know that our football has thousands of followers, but why is it so hard to fill the Harbour View “MINI” stadium which has a capacity of what, 10,000 (I’m only guessing). I read in a post below where the poster is asking questions about our failure to beat and dominate the Central American teams. He also made reference to their league matches, which, according to him is not much of a higher quality than our NPL. Yet their stadia are usually filled to capacity.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Passion? Security? Better pitches? Quality of Play?<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I was an Uptown bwoy, and I could never envision myself going to <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Arnett</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:PlaceType>, <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Tivoli</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:PlaceType></st1lace>, Railway Ovals or anywhere below Cross Roads to go watch a NPL match. This was because of fear. I always did like <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Arnett</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:PlaceType></st1lace> play however. There was also a small fear of attending any football match at the National Stadium. The fear of my car getting stolen or being held up walking to or from my car to the venue before or after a match. Jamaicans have no discipline and it was never enforced at these matches. Everybody was/is a badman and woman. Here (<st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">USA</st1lace></st1:country-region>), I see families at football matches. I see larger crowds entering and leaving Giant and RFK stadia<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>in an orderly fashion. I see fans sitting in their assigned/numbered seats and enjoying matches.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">It goes without saying that better pitches will improve the quality of play. <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Passion. I think it should be part of each club’s mandate to go about developing their fan base. The concept of marketing is lost on our club officials and the JFF. The clubs need to take a more active role in the communities that they are based in. Teams should do the rounds. Visit schools, churches and other charity events within their communities, and of course make sure that a camera-person is with them at all times. Where are the fan jerseys for sale? Where are the flags and banners? Where are the club memorabilia? Where are the scantily clad cheerleaders? Where are the mascots? Where are the drums and the noisemakers? Where are the fan incentives? Winning a day with the team. That’s how passion and loyalty is generated. This inevitably will manifest itself into national support.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Rom
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

RE: Let’s look at the Jamaican football scene from a different angle - fan support.

[quote]Jangle (3/27/2007) <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">After watching the Champion Cup and the international match between <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">Jamaica</st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Panama</st1lace></st1:country-region>, it was very disappointing to see the number of empty seats in the stadia. We know that our football has thousands of followers, but why is it so hard to fill the Harbour View “MINI” stadium which has a capacity of what, 10,000 (I’m only guessing). I read in a post below where the poster is asking questions about our failure to beat and dominate the Central American teams. He also made reference to their league matches, which, according to him is not much of a higher quality than our NPL. Yet their stadia are usually filled to capacity.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Passion? Security? Better pitches? Quality of Play?<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I was an Uptown bwoy, and I could never envision myself going to <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Arnett</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:PlaceType>, <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Tivoli</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:PlaceType></st1lace>, Railway Ovals or anywhere below Cross Roads to go watch a NPL match. This was because of fear. I always did like <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Arnett</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:PlaceType></st1lace> play however. There was also a small fear of attending any football match at the National Stadium. The fear of my car getting stolen or being held up walking to or from my car to the venue before or after a match. Jamaicans have no discipline and it was never enforced at these matches. Everybody was/is a badman and woman. Here (<st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">USA</st1lace></st1:country-region>), I see families at football matches. I see larger crowds entering and leaving Giant and RFK stadia<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>in an orderly fashion. I see fans sitting in their assigned/numbered seats and enjoying matches.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">It goes without saying that better pitches will improve the quality of play. <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Passion. I think it should be part of each club’s mandate to go about developing their fan base. The concept of marketing is lost on our club officials and the JFF. The clubs need to take a more active role in the communities that they are based in. Teams should do the rounds. Visit schools, churches and other charity events within their communities, and of course make sure that a camera-person is with them at all times. Where are the fan jerseys for sale? Where are the flags and banners? Where are the club memorabilia? Where are the scantily clad cheerleaders? Where are the mascots? Where are the drums and the noisemakers? Where are the fan incentives? Winning a day with the team. That’s how passion and loyalty is generated. This inevitably will manifest itself into national support.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

RE: Let’s look at the Jamaican football scene from a different angle - fan support.

Clearly the footballing product has to improve to improve the current situation. This is not just on the field but also those ancillary areas/issues as well, in particular people's feeling of security.

As we know football, particularly in the urban areas, has never been the place to have a family outings, and Ican't think of anywhere on this planet where it is not the game of the "working man" or woman (less so).

Other than the scantily clad females (good grief), I am sure that things would improve dramatically should our per capita income increases, a professional league is formed, clubs can better control their venues for security, viewingand gate receipts, etc. I think the sentiments on this site is that it's all about ineptitude, but franklyI think thecompeting demands for scare $/resources is more a factor.

Guidance

Comment

I think the sentiments on this site is that it's all about ineptitude, but franklyI think thecompeting demands for scare $/resources is more a factor.
        Spot on Gary D. Good post! - T.K.
        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

am sure that things would improve dramatically should our per capita income increases, a professional league is formed, clubs can better control their venues for security, viewing and gate receipts
          Rahtid .. how much time mi say this and I'm accused of posting politics on Football Friday? One by one people start to realize.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

<DIV>If yuh listen to some people (not you, TK!) yuh woulda tink say a bay eediot deh a Jamaica.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Good post, GaryD!</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Calm down, Lazie. It's hardly the most profound thing said on this site.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The Emotional Mosiah telling a man named Lazie to calm down? Comical. Lazie ever calm ... yuh nuh learn dat yet?

As mi say, when unuh use to claim unuh a have football friday pon the previous forum and Lazie put forward those thoughts, unuh screw up unuh face claiming mi a talk politics.

When yuh see Ras Shatta, mek him know, politics affect every aspect of our lives. Just keeping it real.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
                X