Weak points and local potential- Carib Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak points and local potential- Carib Cup

Weak points in terms of squad strength and scouting for best local talent.

Wing backs and defense in general - we need to see two best wing backs on either side and at least one more centre half from the best of the local crop based on current year and previous year performance, centre half looking strongest with nose, maps and Taylor as a backup if any issues, need to really expose best potential for possible squad for cup.

Midfielder
    Need to see at leat one or two best local talent defensive mids, attacking mids even more, who are the best 3 or 4 players locally, no retreads, new people, need good skill and control, high intelligence, low center of gravity, trong lik a bull over the ball, them need to go head to head on a good training camp prior to Carib Cup see who have most desire, discipline and intelligence.
    Wingers out of mids, we have l a lot of talent here between current crop and England crop not a massive issue, but would love to see more speed and skill down the flank towards the corner where there is so much space and a lot of weakness in pretty much every team on defending against the attack, it is a lot of space to cover and speed and skill can truly exploit this mismatch, need ability to beat, accelerate and cross, a forgotten skill when I see Jamaica pay, but we have a lot of players who have an assorted combination of these skills but not superior in all. Do we have any interesting local talent here.

Forwards, we need really to fill this out on the England side, the team is stocked with pretty decent talent, just need some cohesion and playing time.

Carib Cup s a good time to bring in some new blood on a strong base and really see if we can truly develop some good substitutes behind the primary squad of 18, we need 30 players ready to step in and be able to really contribute if called, the lack of depth, the skinniness of our squad is the greatest weakness. Losing maps and Austin in one game showed just how truly vulnerable this team truly is.

Looking to promote discussion and potential names for the next step, we talk enthusiastically about the English players with yard roots, we talk even more enthusiastically about the Epl and specific dies almost as if we were actually English, but little discussion on the development on the second 22 and their readiness for Concacaf combat in the Hex.

No discussion on the Rspl or very little and who are the emerging stars that have the real combiation of true potential, hard working, disciplined and skillful. I find it to be a consistent waste over the years to discuss players with great talent put poor attitude, how do we spot those with talent and real desire, that is the real challenge. So what about the next level of upcoming under 25 talent with a real potential of making it based on the above criteria.

Comment

Brethren, you will not have any English based players for the Caribbean cup...non FIFA dates

Comment

And we shouldn't need them or want to use them. Let's see what we have in our RSPL.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I'm all or this, Stoni! Been longing for it, actually, but not enuff JLIJ to have this discussion. Even those living here, like Shola, don't attend enuff local matches to see what is out there. And Me and Brickie say the standard not good enuff.

Regarding "great talent put poor attitude", many times you never know who is who until later in the game of life. But these days, I come across so many "poor attitudes" that right off the bat, I assume the next one is another one. The onus is on him to prove to me that he isn't! It is that bad!

I have thrown out some names of defenders and midfielders who should be called to the national team for the Digicel Cup. Closer to home, we have the U20 CFU qualifiers coming up in early November. That should be interesting to watch. Andre Lewis and Jorginho James should feature prominently and should bring their senior team call-ups to boost their confidence.

Unfortunately, Shawn Lawes, the central defender for the U20 will not be there as he is injured. It is quite possible that he may have had a call-up to the senior team were he fit.

I understand Lennie Hyde's son, Damian, I believe, should be coming in for the tournament. he's a versatile player who could really be used anywhere on the field. I also understand one of the English Reggae Boyz' son will also be here to tryout for the U20 team. Can't recall his name right now. Oh, Fitzroy Simpson's son.

So, we are not taking the tournament lightly. Antigua & Barbuda, Surinam and Cuba are our opponents and we know very little of them. Surinam knocked us out the last time, I believe, so we should expect a strong side.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            And we shouldn't need them or want to use them. Let's see what we have in our RSPL.
            True, but I still want the MLS and Scandinavian players who should be on a break to strength the local contingent.

Comment

I thought Jake Simpson already had his trial during the summer? Any update on fat man Kelly?

Antigua, Surinam, Cuba is a strong group for the Digicel level so them better not play around. Tremaine time to shine and show that him ready to play at a higher level.

Comment

Thus the opportunity to discuss local players that should get a shot.

Comment

Me - repeat afta me (no pun intended) No more retreads, give the upcoming youth them a shot!

Comment

The tournament will be about the MLS, Norwegian and local baller already in the squad along with one or two young baller.

Comment

I can understand some of that sentiment with the town youth and it must be hard to find humility and desire amongst those lauded for their perceived immense talents.

Is that also the case across the rural areas as well, one would expect a different kind of cultural mindset and a greater sense of community and their role within that which grounds one from soaring too high into the clouds of self delusion.

Is there still is a connection between rural youth and farming which tends to produce a more grounded, humble and more apt to have less issues with putting in more at seed time to gain a better harvest. Maybe that was another generation, I went on a little farming survey across south west Jamaica a few years ago and was most impressed with many of the small farmers many of them young, working hard to turn a dollar from the soil. Tell me that we still have the real Jamaica still tucked away somewhere there and that the new generation is not as you say, so poor that it is more the exception to find a good one than the other way around.

Comment

That group is for the U20 tournament, not the Digicel Cup.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
                          Me - repeat afta me (no pun intended) No more retreads, give the upcoming youth them a shot!
                          I will tell you this (exception goalkeepers)...the last U-17 lot showed greatest potential I have seen from any of our U-17s (that ofcourse includes the squad that went to the FIFA U-17 finals in Argentina).

Unfortunately the technical team could not/failed to make them into TEAM! It was plainful...heart-rending to watch them in Mexico being overturned by man for man less talented technical players from Argentina, France and Japan. The quality of our players - man for man - was such that if we were a TEAM we would have won our group hands down.

In teaching (Mico taught teaching assessment) that output by the technical staff would be termed 'trying to destroy Jamaica's future' - marring of/to the infinite degree!!! It was, based on the quality of the players a damn awful...******** poor...teaching effort by that technical group!!!

*Rider: Our main striker (will not call name) on that U-17: Is extremely slow. May turn out to be little more than a journeyman player. ...and that is a stretch.

There was also a small super-sub who showed glimses of Messi-type (hey...this guy was I understand about 14-15 years old....I think? ...and should not be compared to even U-16 Messi as per TEAMplay...but looked at with eye on future/building physical strength, building on his explosiveness, building on his 'thinking' through plays, i.e. decision-making and improved shooting <----> this guy just needs development/teaching...it was obvious that the technical staff had not attempted such)...he was just operating on natural talent/playground skills/playground type play...what we would call at MC - padda-footie -Hope I remembered the term correctly???).
                          Last edited by Karl; October 30, 2012, 09:20 AM.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

The thing that i find disappointing about the local set up is that not even one young baller is deemed good enough to step up straight from under 20 to the national squad. I don't know if it is short sightedness of our coaches or is it that our ballers take longer to develop more than anywhere else. All over the world you look and see outstanding young players 22 years old and under. Players earning close to a hundred caps for their contry by the age of 26 or 27 yrs but no not Jamaica we keep drawing back for the same old players who've had their chances, failed multiple times but still back in squads over and over again. There is no doubt in my mind that there are players in Jamaica that are under 20 that is a better option than some of these players in our squad. I ask - Where is the next Bibi Gardner?

Comment

Our weakess point - The poor job our local coaches do in the various leagues on teaching TEAMplay. If "Tappa" gets TEAM oriented players with same level of competence as presently had our local (and our 1st sting) REGGAEBOYZ would be x10 stronger. I have no doubt that in 2 - 5 years we could be FIFA < top 40 consistently!!! ...and 5+ years on FIFA < top 20.

Aside: Before our last match I wondered aloud on the absence of Demar Philips...this time I am wondering on Omar Daley! He should not have been out of our squad and he should be called if not injuried/if currently playing!

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/player...eam/omar-daley

Last match - Sub on - Team lost
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20000664
                              Last edited by Karl; October 30, 2012, 10:30 AM.
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X