Gervinho is out of his depth at Arsenal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gervinho is out of his depth at Arsenal

When the number 27 blinked into life on the fourth official's board, the Arsenal crowd roared in approval. For the first and last time on such a disappointing evening in the Champions League against Schalke at Emirates Stadium, they rose to their feet and broke into spontaneous applause. Poor Gervinho, a one-man incompetence bomb, hesitated for a moment under the floodlights, as if a little unsure as to why he was being removed, then nodded and trotted off to the bench obediently. Still, the Arsenal fans celebrated and thus, having spent the entire night getting things wrong, the hapless Ivorian signed off by politely applauding them for what he seemed to think was their support.

Gervinho has been in English football for over a year now and still the question remains: What is he? What is he for?

He has never been what you might consider a typical Arsene Wenger player, primarily because he doesn't actually seem to be very good at football. Perhaps that's a little harsh. Obviously, he has some plus points. When Arsenal's supporters have calmed down a bit, they'll tell you about his directness, his bursts of pace and his moments of gripping spontaneity. But he lacks the technique and close control of his colleagues, or at least the consistent ability to display it. His reading of the game and his decision-making is so poor that he can occasionally make Theo Walcott look like Teddy Sheringham. There are moments when he can conjure up a game-changing moment of magic, but there are more frequent moments when you wonder what on earth he's doing in this Arsenal squad.

- Same answers, less patience
    - Disaster strikes again

There were two incidents midway through the first half of Arsenal's defeat to Schalke that rather summed Gervinho up. In the 23rd minute, he wandered into the middle of an intricate matrix of short, swift passes and quickly snuffed out his own team's threat with one heavy touch. Moments later, he had the chance to make amends. With dazzling pace, he broke clear and scampered into the box, but instead of shooting, he overelaborated, cut inside, drew the attention of another defender, ran out of talent and fell over.

Of course, it wouldn't be fair to ignore the good things that he did, such as they were. In the second half, he dropped deep from the front line and won the ball back with a well-timed tackle. Turning immediately and clattering away into the channels for a return pass, he evaded his man and slipped a well weighted ball across the six yard box. Sadly for Arsenal, there was no-one there to meet it.

It's certainly not a lack of effort that is holding Gervinho back. He's obviously doing his best. Indeed, getting angry with him is like getting angry with a puppy who dutifully brings you your newspaper but then grins and urinates all over the rug while you're saying thank you. Ultimately, it's your fault for not training him better.

He's an awkward winger. The damage he causes when he cuts in is usually neutralised by the lack of awareness of his surroundings. He's certainly not a lone striker, either, regardless of the goals he's scored because he can't provide anything other than a fleeting threat. He's not terrible, but at the same time he's not particularly good.

It is unlikely that any other Champions League knock-out stage stalwart will hold a board meeting this summer where Item One on the agenda is ‘How Can We Sign A Player Like Gervinho?' Manchester City have plundered the Emirates for talent for several years, but it's hard to imagine Roberto Mancini pouncing for this wayward Gunner.

And herein lies the problem. While Arsenal fans and board members fight among themselves at their AGM for the right to influence the future of their club, the present is abundantly substandard. Arsenal may not be able to keep up with the spending of Chelsea and Manchester City, but they're hardly paupers on the world stage and they should be better than this. Despite the gloating of their rivals, their constant qualification for the cash-rich knock-out stages of the Champions League means that they must still be counted as a part of Europe's elite.

Gervinho was by no means the only man at fault for Arsenal's defeat this week. Team-mates, coaching staff and Wenger himself must all share the blame for this debacle. But there comes a time when you have to stop looking for excuses and accept that some of the players just aren't good enough. Gervinho, sadly, is out of his depth.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Dem duh Gervinho bad inna this article. I didn't see the game to determine if the writer was going overboard. I recall when I first saw him playing on the int'l scene there was alot of hype about him being the next Drogba.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

...he has his technical skills - pace, trickery (crafty not underhandedly)...but bwoy does he lack ability to quickly think situations through and thus make correct decisions...

The article is bang on. He too often plays for the opponent!

btw - He is a poor kicker of the ball!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        Dem duh Gervinho bad inna this article. I didn't see the game to determine if the writer was going overboard. I recall when I first saw him playing on the int'l scene there was alot of hype about him being the next Drogba.
        Drogba?
        In what way?

He is a weakling when compared with Drogba...and Drogba has more quality on technical skills - control, passing, heading and kicking the ball! Drogba's movement is also far superior. He, I judge, to be faster than Drogba at the start of games...but I would bet Drogba would outlast him on endurance and thus be faster in last 30 minutes.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Gervinho is a waste !! once we have him, Ramsey, and Santos on the pitch at the same time, its going to take a miracle to win the game. !!
          Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

I remember how Robert Pires was slaughtered and he turned out ok!! The youth has got the basic ability and i think he will come good. There is no way they should be playing him as a central striker, they should play him on the right of the 3 frontmen and stick with it. He needs to also bulk up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
              I remember how Robert Pires was slaughtered and he turned out ok!! The youth has got the basic ability and i think he will come good. There is no way they should be playing him as a central striker, they should play him on the right of the 3 frontmen and stick with it. He needs to also bulk up a bit.
              Pires never lost the ball as much, he never fall down as much, he didnt kick away the ball as much...etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Twan View Post
                Pires never lost the ball as much, he never fall down as much, he didnt kick away the ball as much...etc etc.
                He never lost the ball as much, and his decision making was a lot better but falling down he did even worse than Gervinho and the press slaughtered him. Gervinho will get better, he will get close to 15 goals this season!!

Comment

He has some good traits...but needs someone on the pitch to hold his hands and lead him around. His current faults are legion.

btw - I cannot remember Pires being anywhere near this lacking.

Comment

Arsenal fans ah blame Gervino what ah ting, since dem decimate ah winning side from way back dem kyaan an nevah recover. Dem evah been any good since dem days anyway, flatter to deceive always. Suh dem jus low di yout. Dem tun ballah inna star an dem sell dem, wha dem expect, joke business

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
                      Arsenal fans ah blame Gervino what ah ting, since dem decimate ah winning side from way back dem kyaan an nevah recover. Dem evah been any good since dem days anyway, flatter to deceive always. Suh dem jus low di yout. Dem tun ballah inna star an dem sell dem, wha dem expect, joke business
                      other than Song, who did we sell voluntarily?

Comment

yuh offah one willingly thank yuh sah. Van Persie, an di spanish one. Ah tink yuh was trying to build a winning team like times past. Plus Vierra unnuh nevah recover from dat. An den playahs ah dis Henry an none a dem nevah bettah one bit.

Comment

~sigh~ yuh seeituh?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I think Gervinho just need a bit more time to make his mark at Arsenal, he has been disappointing so far but i am willing to be patient with him. It is quite interesting what a class act like Hazard said about him recently.

Arsenal winger Gervinho is my inspiration, reveals £35m Chelsea new boy Hazard

By Sportsmail Reporter
                            PUBLISHED:08:58, 30 May 2012| UPDATED:09:03, 30 May 2012
                            On a mission: Playmaker Eden Hazard

Chelsea-bound Eden Hazard has revealed how he was inspired by Arsenal winger Gervinho.
                            The pair were team-mates at Lille, winning the league and cup double in 2011, before the Ivorian winger joined Arsenal last summer for £10 million.
                            Hazard, 21, confirmed on Tuesday that he will also be heading for the capital after agreeing a £35m move to join the the Blues

And the Belgium playmaker is looking forward to a Premier League reunion withGervinho.
                            He is quoted as saying in the Sun: 'I watched videos of great players. I was inspired by what they did, then I used to try things out in training.

'When I was small I was the same as everyone else. I used to play in a small council estate nearby.
                            'But it's really my family who taught me. I started watching my dad play from the age of two. I wanted to be like him.
                            'The first pitch I played on, for my first club Braine-le-Comte, was only a metre from our house! I progressed very quickly. Now, I want to be European Footballer of the Year. Sometimes when I lie in bed I think about it.

Team mates: Gervinho (left) and Hazard at Lille

'A lot of players watch videos of others. I'm not scared to say I watch videos of Messi and Ronaldo, I try and inspire myself from them.

'Great players inspire you. The best player I played with was Gervi (Gervinho).
                            'We didn't have the same qualities, but we both tried to make the difference. He taught me some things. He makes the right runs.'
                            Hazard went on to reject suggestions he is a poor trainer, adding: 'What I like best is the nutmeg. I don't go out on the pitch thinking I'm going to do it because it comes instinctively. My left foot's not quite as strong as my right.
                            'I said I preferred playing rather than training. People interpreted that as me not wanting to work hard. That's false. I work seriously. It's helped me get to where I am now.
                            'Weight training and working on being explosive helped me gain a few yards of pace. Even when I was small I was stocky. Even if people pushed me I managed to stay on my feet.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz2AP94Xxkz
                            Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
                              yuh offah one willingly thank yuh sah. Van Persie, an di spanish one. Ah tink yuh was trying to build a winning team like times past. Plus Vierra unnuh nevah recover from dat. An den playahs ah dis Henry an none a dem nevah bettah one bit.
                              Yout !!! all of you mentioned asked to leave, what Wenger mus duh, tie them up to mek them stay or let them leave FREE ?

Comment

Working...
                              X