• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Bibi' happy to be back home

'Bibi' happy to be back home

Andrew Hancel

Monday, March 26, 2007

After a lengthy absence from the Reggae Boyz squad due to injuries, Jamaica's Ricardo 'Bibi' Gardner is overwhelmed to be back as the Jamaicans take on Panama inside the 'Office' tonight.

GARDNER... it's a long time now I haven't played at the National Stadium, so I just want to go out there and enjoy myself (Photo: Garfield Robinson)

"It's a long time now I haven't played there (National Stadium), so I just want to go out there and enjoy myself with the rest of the players and hopefully we can come out on top at the end of the game," Gardner said.

Gardner, who has made only 13 appearances this season for his England Premiership club, Bolton Wanderers, is just recovering from his third cruciate knee ligament surgery which he underwent last July.

"It's looking good so far," said the 28-year-old.

"It's difficult coming back, as you know what the premiership is like already, but it's taking its little time getting back to that level," he added.

The 1998 World Cup player, last donned the national colours on October 9, 2005, when he captained the team in their 0-5 mauling from Australia in England.

In addition, Gardner's last game at home was in 2004 against Panama - a 1-2 loss.

And naturally he's seeking to avenge that defeat.

"The last game was different, but now I just want to go out there and enjoy it and try to bury them as quickly as possible," he told the Observer yesterday at Brancourt playing field, where the team held its final training session before today's game.

Gardner will be working for the first time with new technical director Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic.

"I think he has a lot in him to show... going into the 2010 World Cup qualifiers," said Gardner of the Serbian-born coach.

"He has his ways and he brings across his thing differently from the other coaches... but the other coaches are good as well."

The left-sided player has made 40 appearances for Jamaica with two goals to his credit.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: 'Bibi' happy to be back home

He sure didn't play like it. By the way the site is taking a long time to load fix it up.

Comment

Working...
    X