Stadium pitch (revisited)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stadium pitch (revisited)

I am sure the field at the National Stadium undergoes keep and care.

I guess because it is not a football specific stadium--it is difficult to keep it pristine.

At the USA/Jamaica game in Ohio, I sat and watched a Jamaican asking a steward 'if the pitch was real....'). I saw his bemused face after he got the answer.

The pitch was watered in segments before the game. At half-time the staff came out to tend to divots . It was again given a watering at this time. I am sure it got a final drink after everyone left.

Maybe the cultivar of grass at the stadium is more hardy...why this type of keep and care is not seen at game time.
    Last edited by HL; October 23, 2012, 06:24 PM.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Originally posted by HL View Post

I guess because it is not a football specific stadium--it is difficult to keep it prestine.

At the USA/Jamaica game in Ohio, I sat and watched a Jamaican asking a steward 'if the pitch was real....'). I saw his bemused face after he got the answer.

The pitch was watered in segments before the game. At half-time the staff came out to tend to divots . It was again given a watering at this time. I am sure it got a final drink after everyone left.

Maybe the cultivar of grass at the stadium is more hardy...why this type of keep and care is not seen at game time.
    Keeping a pitch pristine is insanely expensive. The pitch one of my kids plays on in Sunrise, Florida is in less than immaculate condition but has reasonable drainage, great "roll" and engineered to withstand nuff traffic. The cost of maintaining that ONE field annually is around $60K from what I understand. GULP!! When people in Jamaica are complaining at US$15 tickets for a WC qualifier it is not hard to see why we can't really afford the cost of maintenance that the national stadium would require.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Much of that cost is labor. Jamaica has cheap labor.

But what you said makes sense.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

From a golfer's standpoint, Jamaica's pitch probably has Bermuda grass, which is also common to the southern USA, especially Florida. Bermuda has very shallow roots, and any divots taken must be filled in by a mixture of sand and seed. Bermuda grass is coarse and wiry. Bermuda grass is frequently used for sports pitches in the southern USA.

Columbus' stadium, according to its website uses "four-blend" Kentucky Bluegrass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_bluegrass. It has a softer texture, and properly maintained, grows into a thick, lush, mat.

It must be watered, fertilzed, weeds removed, aereated once or twice a year, and for a field as thick and lush as Crew Stadium, overseeded once a year. The root system is deeper, and divots can be replaced.

Bluegrass could not withstand the constant heat in Jamaica without massive watering. As a golfer, it is tougher to hit a ball out of Bermuda rough, but the ball sits up nice on a Bermuda fairway.

My guess "maintainance" at National Stadium is nothing more than mowing and painting the game lines.
        Last edited by Bruce; October 23, 2012, 10:50 PM.

Comment

http://www.bluegrasses.com/

http://www.bermudagrass.com/

Comment

I guess because it is not a football specific stadium--it is difficult to keep it pristine.

a lot of time when they spray they pitch (not soaked it) right before the game, it's for tactical reasons. It makes the ball move faster allows team to zip passes around faster, and pick up speed when shooting

Comment

Much of that cost is labor. Jamaica has cheap labor.

But what you said makes sense.
              True about labor, but the other cost is fertilizer and herbicide; that crap ain't cheap, but still, can't think it's $60k worth. You also need the equipment to dethatch and aerate; the correct kind of mowers are about $25K a piece and require constant maintenance. Them should borrow one from the golf courses in JA.
              "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

On this topic I can agree with you Paul. That sh*t is expensive. Every season I try to keep up with my neighbours with my lawn. A bag of Weed n Feed cost about $54 and I need at least 6 bags. Then there is the crab grass killer, the amonia for the soil, the grub killers, grass seed and the list goes on. I used to hire a service but couldn't afford it. If it is so expensive and time consuming for a simple homeowner like myself, I can just imagine how expensive it is to maintain a world class field like at Old Trafford.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                  On this topic I can agree with you Paul. That sh*t is expensive. Every season I try to keep up with my neighbours with my lawn. A bag of Weed n Feed cost about $54 and I need at least 6 bags. Then there is the crab grass killer, the amonia for the soil, the grub killers, grass seed and the list goes on. I used to hire a service but couldn't afford it. If it is so expensive and time consuming for a simple homeowner like myself, I can just imagine how expensive it is to maintain a world class field like at Old Trafford.
                  You were going good until you used "world class" in the same sentence as "old trafford" .... Yep, I feel your pain - I have almost 2 acres of grass to maintain; I have left a huge part of it to fend for itself as it is just simply too much to manage.

Comment

....I couldn't say Anfield now could I? It is hard work every frigging weekend....and on top of that, you have to weed and mulch the flower bed and trim and prune the hedges. It's one thing to strive and achieve the American Dream, but it's a b*tch to maintain and keep it.
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

....I couldn't say Anfield now could I?
                      ermm...it would have been more accurate!

It is hard work every frigging weekend....and on top of that, you have to weed and mulch the flower bed and trim and prune the hedges. It's one thing to strive and achieve the American Dream, but it's a b*tch to maintain and keep it.

LOL!! Someone don't sound too happy. I use a service that cost me a small fortune 2x a month and do it myself the other 2x a month. I stop mulching and the hedge dem look like Don King. Nah kill meself yah sah.

Comment

Yard work every weekend takes away from my weekend job of being the expert football analyst and Loserfool hayter that I worked hard to become.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                          Keeping a pitch pristine is insanely expensive. The pitch one of my kids plays on in Sunrise, Florida is in less than immaculate condition but has reasonable drainage, great "roll" and engineered to withstand nuff traffic. The cost of maintaining that ONE field annually is around $60K from what I understand. GULP!! When people in Jamaica are complaining at US$15 tickets for a WC qualifier it is not hard to see why we can't really afford the cost of maintenance that the national stadium would require.
                          Pon pint, boss!

Aside: Why cannot the stakeholders come together and have our JDF create and maintain 14 to 16 international quality fields year round? Just the pitches...not the entire arena?!

Just do not see our costs being on the range of that USD60M per year! ...as to sprinkle systems...after initial costs the ongoing costs should be mininal - JDF soldiers on rotation duty should do the trick working in conjunction with their trained 'groundkeepers' (If none onboard now - develop same) and resident local 'groundkeepers' (If none onboard/available train them)!!!!
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yard work every weekend takes away from my weekend job of being the expert football analyst and Loserfool hayter that I worked hard to become.
                            Has it occured to you that the reason you have to do the yard work is because you're not very good at being an "expert football analyst and Loserfool hayter"? You might start by parting with that JB9 shirt you wear at night time...or better yet, wear it while you doing the yard wuk!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X