The state of our fields and Facilities in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The state of our fields and Facilities in general

I watced last night's game on TV and I thought to myslef that if the playing surface was even as good as the field at the public park down the road from where I live, the quality of both games would have been much better. The QuestionI am going to ask is this: What would it take to re-surface the fields in Jamaica, plant good grass, and employ a man to water them at leats once per day?

If, as the commentators suggested last night, the Harbour view field is one of the best in the NPL, then its clear for everyone to see that something needs to be done about the satte of our football fields.

I bought10 rolls of Sod (turg grass) at Home Depot last year for $3.00 per roll. I laid it down myself and applied water and fertilizer,it grew beautifully.

I would assume that a typical football field would require about 3000 such rolls of sod, works out to be roughly US$10K per field. we have 12 or so NPL venues in the islands...The JFF could easily make this an initiative, and then ask the clubs to do whatever in their means to maintian (water, fertilize etc). A US$500K initial amount could easly get all the NPL teams playing on proper surfaces. Would it be out of the way to get some assistnace from FIFA with this?

President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

RE: The state of our fields and Facilities in general

While the vast majority of the fields are far below standard, I understand from speaking with a few people that there are about 5 fields which are worth mentioning.:

H/View; Edwards Seaga Stadium; Brancourt; Boys Town and STETHS.

These fields I understand have been well tended to and do facilitate good playing conditions.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Harbour view is rated the best...and it still is not up to par. You could see that the players definately are apprehensive at times, simply because they do not know how the ball will bounce.
      President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

<DIV>Brancourt and STETHS are at another level. Both are better than anything in the NPL.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>The problem with many fields is overuse. Most clubs do not have a second field on which to practice. HVFC for instance has so many teams, including its masters team, playing on the surface and then it is rented for other matches. The finals of the high school girls was played there last week.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Boys Town has a huge playing area and doesn't have to pound the same field into the ground day after day.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>There is hope. Sabina's pitch is a carpet! That has always been the case to a point, however, not just since World Cup cricket. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>So, it's not as simple as that RF. I'm sure your front lawn don't tek a beating every day. Many NPL teams have half way decent surfaces up to December. After that - almost anything will pass! Schoolboy football wuss!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>It's also a money issue. Yes, Shatta, it is! It takes lots of water to maintain the fields. Would be nice if clubs try and get their own catchment area and not rely on NWC.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You need more than 1,000 rolls of sod...

Let us say a roll of sod is 6 feetlong by 3 feet wide. (2 yards x 1 yard)

A soccer field is 120 yards (360 feet) x 80 yards. (240)

You would need 60 rolls of sod to make a 1-yard wide strip running the length of the field. Multiply this by 80 strips, and you get 4,800 rolls of sod. This does not include re-sodding the sideline (bench) areas or behind the goal lines.

Then, if you live in the middle to northern USA, your sod is probably bluegrass, or rye grass, which does not hold up well under heavy use on an athletic field. The Green Bay Packers are installing a hybrid natural /artificial grass surface which plugs of artifical grass are embedded in the dirt, sticking up through the surface and mixing with the grass. This surfacs is used at NFL stadiums in Denver and Philadelphia.

You need a grass native to Jamaica, such as Bermuda grass, or kikuyu. These grasses are coarser, and hold up better under heavy traffic (athletic field) Do a Google- KIKUYU GRASS. This grass is commonly used as athletic field turf in Australia and Africa.

Then you have to find volunteers to lay the sod, and the expense of mowing, watering, and patching when necessary.

In the US, a first-class artificial turf installation costs about $500,000 which is more expensive than sod at first, but pays for itself over three to five years because of the minimal maintainance.

Comment

I would like to add Drax Halland Prison Oval to this list.

Comment

Thanks, Bruce!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X