Ferguson to 'deal with' Rio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferguson to 'deal with' Rio

Sir Alex Ferguson has said Rio Ferdinand "will be dealt with" after not wearing a Kick It Out T-shirt in a protest against the campaign group.

Manchester United's Ferdinand and Reading's Jason Roberts both made the gesture to demonstrate against a perceived lack of action about racism.

"At the press conference I spoke about it, it is disappointing," said Ferguson. "It is embarrassing for me."

The United manager also told MUTV Ferdinand's actions "let us down".

On Friday Ferguson said: "All the players are wearing it [the Kick It Out T-shirts]. I have only heard that Jason Roberts is different.

"I don't know what point he [Roberts] is trying to make."
    Kick It Out facts

Kick Racism out of Football began in 1993

It became the more wide ranging anti-discrimination body Kick It Out in 1997

Its first Kick It Out week of action was held in 2001

In season 2010-11 the organisation had an annual budget of £453,913

Of that, £330,000 came from the Football Association, the Premier League and the Professional Footballers' Association

It employs seven staff

In contrast, Roberts' decision not to wear a Kick it Out T-shirt before the 1-0 defeat at Liverpool was backed by Reading boss Brian McDermott.

"I support him 100%," McDermott said. "He had his reasons. Jason had his view and it was a very strong view. We spoke on Friday and I totally respect his view."

A Kick It Out period of anti-racism action started on Thursday and ends on 29 October.

Premier League players traditionally wear T-shirts during this time as a show of support for the campaign group and its message, although on this occasion the action is spread across two weekends and some clubs have chosen to wear the tops next week.

Ferdinand and Roberts' protests came about following disquiet over the punishments handed out to Luis Suarez and John Terry after they were found guilty by the Football Association - a body that partly funds Kick It Out - of using racist language.

In September Chelsea captain Terry was banned for four matches and fined £220,000 by the FA for racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand in a Premier League match at Loftus Road on 23 October 2011.

The centre-back had previously been cleared of the offence at Westminster Magistrates' Court in July.

Liverpool striker Suarez received an eight-match ban and £40,000 fine for the same offence against Manchester United's Patrice Evra in a Premier League game on 15 October 2011.
    Play media

Rio Ferdinand will be dealt with, says Sir Alex Ferguson

All Ferdinand's Manchester United team-mates donned the jerseys as they warmed up before the 4-2 victory against Stoke at Old Trafford.

At Anfield, Reading's Garath McCleary and Jem Karacan also took their Kick It Out tops off soon after entering the pitch ahead of their game against Liverpool, but the former gave his to someone in the crowd and the latter apparently took his off because he was too hot.

West Ham confirmed substitute Leo Chambers and youth player Matthias Fanimo, who warmed up with the team prior to the 4-1 win against Southampton at Upton Park despite not being part of the matchday squad, did not wear one as the club had run out.

Chelsea did not put on theirs before the 4-2 victory at Tottenham as they plan to join in the action during next week's fixture against Manchester United, with Sunderland and Newcastle also expected to do the same thing rather than show their support before Sunday's derby.

Similarly, champions Manchester City confirmed that next weekend's home game against Swansea would be their designated Kick It Out day
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Fergie is unable to identify with Rio(he has not the skin of the victims)which I understand.
    To threaten action against Rio is insensitive to the victims.Those shirts are mere symbolic gestures with subtle appeal to end racism, Rio's action is in recognition that the powers that be(the ones that can deter..)lack the will and commitment needed(maybe because they can't identify with the victims).
    Another thing missing to Fergie is the concept of team,as demonstrated in team Ferdinand(brothers).

Comment

yeah but him ,Rio , still embarrass de gaffer, nuh true Gamma?
      Peter R

Comment

I wonder how the dark skinned EPL players feel about Rio's refusal? I am sure embarrassment isn't a reaction.
        Fergie unwittingly is victimizing Rio,and in doing so has embarrassed himself.

Comment

Cant see why Rio would be in any trouble when his personal demo could - in Rio's case - be a personal matter of conscience and experience of the penalties applied (or not applied) for racist behaviour in his Bro's case.

Comment

yup! and that is not the done thing ...... except of course if you are suarez then the gaffer finds a way to try to cover up for you ... OR lose his job!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

you notice most of the teams dealing with their issues except one that condemn everybody???

Chelsea suspend and fine their player, Cole apologised. I support the fact that Rio made his statement but the manager have to do what they have to do.

You notice AVB said that that incident with Terry coincide with the downward spiral of Chelsea last year and it played a big part in him losing his job eventually?

These things ahave to be managed carefully.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Fergie overreacting here. He jumped the gun in knocking Roberts for saying he won't be wearing the shirt. The position of the players have merit. Where was the organization during the 2 high profile incidents?
                But as soon as an incident happened in Serbia everybody tun activist?
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  Fergie overreacting here. He jumped the gun in knocking Roberts for saying he won't be wearing the shirt. The position of the players have merit. Where was the organization during the 2 high profile incidents?
                  But as soon as an incident happened in Serbia everybody tun activist?
                  Everton striker Victor Anichebe joins other players in refusing to wear a 'Kick It Out' T-shirt

Everton striker Victor Anichebe has confirmed he will be the latest player to refuse to wear a 'Kick It Out' T-shirt this weekend.
                  Anichebe joins Jason Roberts, Joleon Lescott, Rio Ferdinand and the entire Swansea and Wigan squads in refusing to acknowledge the anti-racist gesture.
                  Anichebe and the other dissenters appear to be concerned that the campaign is simply paying lip-service to the problem of racism in football.
                  Anichebe said: "Are we really kicking it out? There's a situation that's just happened.
                  "I believe in kicking racism out of everything, not just football - kick it out of society.
                  "Situations have happened and I don't feel the outcome has been just. I won't wear the T-shirt, I don't think it's right to wear it. If other people want to wear it that's their right.
                  "I don't want to be some poster boy for Kick Racism Out of Football. You don't really see the T-shirts until something happens, then we decide to wear the T-shirts."
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

while everybody have their own opinion and in my view the players are free to do what they want and I know players like Jason Roberts have been at the forefront of this, before throwing out "kick it out", let us look at the other work they have done, and who is heading it. Let us think, what is the plan to replace it. Are these players advocating changes or disbanding the organization?

Next question is how do we go about the changes. What can these players do as a group to change the deficencies they see. I know Lescott hasn't worn "Kick it out" since 2007
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      while everybody have their own opinion and in my view the players are free to do what they want and I know players like Jason Roberts have been at the forefront of this, before throwing out "kick it out", let us look at the other work they have done, and who is heading it. Let us think, what is the plan to replace it. Are these players advocating changes or disbanding the organization?

Next question is how do we go about the changes. What can these players do as a group to change the deficencies they see. I know Lescott hasn't worn "Kick it out" since 2007
                      Not aware of anyone saying to throw it out. The question is, where were they when racist incidents popped up in the league? They were very much silent.

Comment

what you think about this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...ited-game.html

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          Viv has his opinion, so does Rio? Rio supported Evra when Suarez refused to shake Evra's hand. He has supported his brother after his issue with Terry. Earlier in the week when the PM was expressing outrage at the incident in Serbia, Rio said they needed to address the problem at home. Rio has been consistent and I think Fergie is an a/hole for fining the man for standing up for what he believes in.

Comment

I have no problem with what Rio do, it is his personal decision but I can see why a manager wouldn't support it. Rio is directly affected and while we would lik "kick it out" to be screaming on the street we have to also look on the overall work of what they have done and maybe try and make them stronger.

Comment

Slurgie the slimeball...we will make sure he suffers through a second straight trophyless season...arrogant arsehole

Comment

Working...
                              X