How good is Langdon Donovan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good is Langdon Donovan?

I know many on this forum do not give him any rating as a footballer. He however never fail to deliver for both his club and country. We see him do it all the time, against Jamaica, Mexico many European teams and now scoring a hatrick against Equador. We know Equador is no walk in the park tea too from what we have seen in the World Cup in Germany recently.

I think he is a good intelligent little player and we would do well to even have one Donovan in our side (we can do without 25 Adus). Suh wha unuh tink forumites? Is Donovan a Don or a Rucks?

(Clap)(tup) for Donovan:exclamationmark:
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

RE: How good is Langdon Donovan?

He is a forward a little above averageand has

good shooting technique, no Jakan forward can't really match himbecause he is well coached to give a good work rate, and do the basic with the ball. His weakness is that he has no one on one skill. He has no dribbling ability (don't confuse push and run with dribbling) He is not up there with the world's best, he can dominate the concacaff because of our mostly poor fooftball infrastructure. I don't think he has it mentally to run with the big boys either.

Comment

Jawge (3/25/2007)He is a forward a little above averageand has

good shooting technique, no Jakan forward can't really match himbecause he is well coached to give a good work rate, and do the basic with the ball. His weakness is that he has no one on one skill. He has no dribbling ability (don't confuse push and run with dribbling) He is not up there with the world's best, he can dominate the concacaff because of our mostly poor fooftball infrastructure. I don't think he has it mentally to run with the big boys either.
      He has no one on one football skills? Do you remember him beating Marshall that the latter had to resort to pulling down Donovan in the penalty box in 2001 at Foxboro?

He can onlydominate against CONCACAF? Tell me something, did you watch World Cup 2002 where he scored there? Is Equador CONCACAF? What about all those European teams we see him register goals against?

Your arguments are typically what we come to hear from the Jamaican fans.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Have to agree with Jawge to some extent.

He is above average and a superstar in CONCACAF and it stops there.

His one on one skills are more so based on him using his quickness as opposed to being able to use creative footwork. That is why he usually looks ordinary when he has to play against those stronger, faster European teams.

Excellent finisher. Too much of a spoilt bratto realize his full potential. Something like Andy Williams, except he has achieved much more than Andy.

Comment

Erm Tilla are you speaking about the

goal that bounced off his back and went into Portugal's goal? BTW what about WC 06, did he play there? The coaching system in the use can't and doesn't teach one and one skills, hence Donavan became a victim there. Tell me which top team's defencedid donavan ever open up with creative dribbling (to see dribbling skilss I hope watch Robinho and brasil against Chile).

Comment

His one on one skills are more so based on him using his quickness as opposed to being able to use creative footwork. That is why he usually looks ordinary when he has to play against those stronger, faster European teams.
            This is a load of horse radish! We are too taken up with fancy fotwork that we miss the big picture. I know Jawge is about to point to Robinho, but Donovan is not of that mold. Also if the player is not Brazilian, Jawge cannot see nothing in them.

Give me a player like Donovan any day who will play team and do the simple things to help his team. I would take him on my side any day over a Fullerwho is so focused on fancy foot works that he miss the big picture of what the game is about.

If we are to compare apples to apples, let us leavethe Brazilians out of this. Right now there is no better forward in CONCACAF than Langdon Donovan. Argument done!!

Comment

Tilla (3/25/2007)
              This is a load of horse radish! We are too taken up with fancy fotwork that we miss the big picture. I know Jawge is about to point to Robinho, but Donovan is not of that mold. Also if the player is not Brazilian, Jawge cannot see nothing in them.

Give me a player like Donovan any day who will play team and do the simple things to help his team. I would take him on my side any day over a Fullerwho is so focused on fancy foot works that he miss the big picture of what the game is about.

If we are to compare apples to apples, let us leavethe Brazilians out of this. Right now there is no better forward in CONCACAF than Langdon Donovan. Argument done!!
              Look like you just want to get emotional. We already said he is a CONCACAF star, suh why are you repeating that.

The fact is at the highest level he is slightly above average.

Comment

Tilla (3/25/2007)I know many on this forum do not give him any rating as a footballer. He however never fail to deliver for both his club and country. We see him do it all the time, against Jamaica, Mexico many European teams and now scoring a hatrick against Equador. We know Equador is no walk in the park tea too from what we have seen in the World Cup in Germany recently.

I think he is a good intelligent little player and we would do well to even have one Donovan in our side (we can do without 25 Adus). Suh wha unuh tink forumites? Is Donovan a Don or a Rucks?

(Clap)(tup) for Donovan:exclamationmark:
                Let's put it this way, duppy know who fi frighten.

Comment

Jawge (3/25/2007)Erm Tilla are you speaking about the goal that bounced off his back and went into Portugal's goal?

No, he's probably talking about the one that he scored against Poland. Or he could be talking about the one he headed in against Mexico that sent the USA to the quarter finals.

No Jamaican attacker can come anywhere close to him. Like it or not.

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                  - Xavi

Comment

Okay point taken go on to tell me

about the goals in Europe (WC 06). I know of Jakna attacker that scored two goals to give Ja (in Europe).Educate me Zeppo.

Comment

We have players like Donovan in Jamaica its just that we don't see or reward them and so they have to go overseas to be respected.

Players like Teofore Bennet who scored a peach of a goal against the USA and was duly dropped for the next game in England(such is our poor grasp of the mental side of this game)

Landon Donavon plays with supreme confidence at times and thats when he is the most dangerous. We can exalt him as well as we should if he deserves it but let one of our own express such confidence and see how fast we instinctively slap them down and berate them for daring to think big.

sidenote: That guy who told us that "without confidence we are twice defeated in the race of life" what country is he from again?

Every player you see thats great in the world we have in the physical form in Jamaica. Whats missing is the mental side of the players and the fans.

We exalt every other person but our own and if we do exalt our own be prepared to catch flack, that is if you really care about being loved or being popular.

Donovan get his due for being a good player and his due cannot be taken away from his as his work is his evidence but where I draw the line is us not taking the time to see that we too can have that if we first believe that its in us too to be great.

How much more mi have fi tell unnu say what man has done man can do? what more unnu want from the guru? A blood unnu want?

NO guy no more dan mi(repeat that 10 times daily)(tup)

respect

Comment

Would Tilla ever exalt Tappa or Lowe the way he is doing Donovan? Okay then dem old so let us not go there so what about Luton Shelton or Davis?

Unnu realise that if we do exalt our players we do so "reluctantly"? Donovan can't hold a candle to Luton shelton no time no day and mi nah beg dat.

history will prove me right as for one dem no have the heart of a lion like the youth does. Any player who isn't called up for a national team and has the desire to fly home to impress the coach and nah wait pon dem club team fi buss dem gets my undying respect 10 fold and our problem as black people is that we don't grow up mentally and so when a person don't like a player like Luton dem stay not liking that player no matter what dem do and when dem do good dem quiet but when dem do bad dem all over it.

Right now the Luton Shelton story of returning to Jamaica should be the biggest news in local football. We should have had someone with a video camera taping an interview with the youth and putting it on youtube to link to the reggaeboyz supporters club myspace page much like what everyone else is doing.

If you look at the first friend in my myspace page the reggaeboyz you will see where he has done that with the world record 100 meter run. www.myspace.com/cdfreakmusic and while the man dem there take the time to listen to the sweet sounds of Bitty mclean who is in my friends list too at the bottom.

No its not a promotion tilla as I am not selling anything its more a lets get this thing going as its not hard to do and a full time we take this club back to its rightful place and stop exalting other guy as dem nah exalt we pon dem forum

respect

Comment

Which part of CONCACAF???

Where were you, fan, when Beasley had the lion's share(of glory)when he inked that EPL contract?Even the most ardent of Donovan's fans were tightlipped when Beasley was toasted as a better player than Donovan.He has scored a hatrick and pow,here you are. Is he now better than McBride?

Pity Nandi did not end up in the EPL, after all hindsight is much easier than foresight.

Blessed

Comment

Jawge (3/25/2007) no Jakan forward can't really match himbecause he is well coached to give a good work rate, and do the basic with the ball.
                            Our local club ballers?

Blessed

Comment

Shatta: I simply asked a question "How good is Donovan". Why do you want to turn it into a Tappa argument? Was Tappa a striker? I made comparison to our premier striker Fuller and deliberately not mention Shelton. Shelton has potential to be a good striker, but his career is shorter than Donovan's at the international level.

I asked the question on Donovan becauseI noticed tht everytime his name is mentioned here, weunderate the man.

I rate Shelton, but he does not necessarily take on an beat players like a Fuller does. Fuller is so focused on beating men that most times the game has gone and left him trying to beat two or three players before passing the damn ball. This is why he is so inefficient as a striker.

Anyway, mi ah beg yuh, do not turn this in a Tilla 'gainst Tappa argument. The last time I checked, Tappa was not a striker.

Comment

Working...
                              X