Diaby blow confirmed for Arsenal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diaby blow confirmed for Arsenal

Arsene Wenger confirmed the news when speaking ahead of his team's Champions League Group B match against Olympiacos at Emirates Stadium on Wednesday.

"Diaby is out for three weeks with a thigh injury," Wenger told a news conference. "(Mikel) Arteta to have test tomorrow."

The injury-prone Diaby had to be substituted early in the Premier League match against Chelsea on Saturday which Arsenal lost 2-1, their first defeat of the season.

Better news for Wenger was that 20-year-old midfielder Jack Wilshere played an Under-21 game on Monday, his first competitive appearance after missing 14 months through injury.

"You always have to make that first step, and he has done that today and that is fantastic," reserve team coach Terry Burton told the club's website.

"He is a quality player, it is great for the club that he has taken that first step on the road towards getting back into the first team."

Wenger wants his side to make amends for Saturday's defeat to Chelsea when they play Olympiacos.

The north Londoners saw a successful start to the season abruptly halted at the weekend as they fell to a 2-1 defeat to Chelsea at Emirates Stadium. Arsenal sit seven points shy of the Premier League leaders as a result, but attention now turns to their European campaign.

The Frenchman said: "The players are focused and disappointed that we lost the game. They are still down of course, but we have a Champions League game in front of us at home and we want to put things right."

He added: "There were a lot of positives in that game as well, what was not good is easy to correct. I believe the championship is long, but we have to make sure the Champions League is long as well.

"It is about how we respond. I am impressed by the mentality of my team, but the mentality is as well about how you respond to disappointment. I am confident we will, but that is what we want to show tomorrow."

Arsenal will be hoping to make it two wins from two Group B games, having returned from Montpellier with three points on matchday one.

Olympiacos, who Arsenal also faced in the group stage last year, are without a point after losing their opener at home to Schalke and Wenger knows Wednesday's clash at the Emirates provides a chance to take a stranglehold on the group.

He said: "Olympiacos are already in a position where their backs are to the wall because they have lost at home and in this Champions League when you lose at home it is very difficult. They are highly motivated to know they have to give everything to make it through."

http://au.eurosport.com/football/cha...88/story.shtml

it was always a question of "when" rather than "if" diaby would get injured!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

...like our friend RVP!
      ...anyway back to Diaby - I would love to hear of the physical training program and physical therapy he undergoes as efforts are made to keep him fit?

It just seems to me that he needs a 'specially designed program'. ...somewhat similar to a 100M runner???? Just wondering - strengthening (weights - lower & upper body), stretching, massage and physiotherapy, sprinting - aerobic and anaerobic workouts...along with the dexterity obstacle courses exercises...do not know? ...but bwoy im get hurt often bad???? Cho, r!@#$$????

..di young man his a good-good footballa dat jus need tuh get few years run hopefully widhout hin-ju-ry. A playa dat good, bad!!! im being hout dat of-ten a deprive man di pleasure a watchin good-good balla
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

wha you say? him coulda drop offa bench too? LOL

him born fi get injured.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Arsene Wenger angry at French FA over Abou Diaby call-up

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has criticised the French FA for picking Abou Diaby for September's World Cup qualifiers against Finland and Belarus.
          The midfielder is set to miss the next three weeks after picking up a thigh strain in the early stages of Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Chelsea.
          Diaby, 26, has struggled with injuries but started the season in good form.
          "I think it was a mistake to play him with the national team," said Wenger, who asked the FFA not to pick him.
          The knock will see Diaby miss Wednesday's Champions League clash with Olympiakos after Wenger told his compatriots to give him a rest if they wanted him fit for next month's qualifier against Spain.
          "I said many times that if France wanted Diaby in Spain they should not take him for Finland and Belarus," he said.
          "They could have taken him but not played him because the guy has been out for a year, played four or five games. You have a breather, give him two weeks to recover completely."
          Diaby has started just 87 Premier League games since joining Arsenal in 2006.

Diaby's problems began in May 2006 when he was on the receiving end of a tackle from then Sunderland defender Dan Smith that fractured his ankle and required three operations to repair.
          After eight months out, Diaby began to cement his position in the Arsenal midfield before a thigh injury ended his 2007-08 campaign prematurely.
          But he was a near ever-present two seasons later and started all three games in France's disastrous appearance at the World Cup in 2010.
          He was only fit enough to play 16 games in the top flight in 2010-11 due to more injuries, and made five substitute appearances in all competitions for Arsenal last season following ongoing issues with his ankle, a condition that forced him to miss France's Euro 2012 campaign.
          Diaby had started all but one of Arsenal's league games this season before he was injured once more when taking a shot from distance against Chelsea and was replaced by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain after 17 minutes.
          While Diaby is set for another period on the treatment table, fellow midfielder Jack Wilshere returned to action on Tuesday in an under-21 fixture after more than a year out with ankle, foot and heel injuries.
          "He came through it all right," Wenger said. "It is now down to taking the right time to ease him slowly back.
          "We are all very happy and he especially must be exceptionally happy. He has been out for 14 months."
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19802166

Comment

Working...
          X