Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelton hoping to impress coach Bo****

Shelton hoping to impress coach Bora<DIV class=KonaBody p4E55="true">

file - Luton Shelton waiting for his chance at Sheffield United.

By Nodley Wright, FreelanceWriter

National striker Luton Shelton will be hoping for a change of fortune when he takes the field of play for Jamaica against CONCACAF rivals Panama in an international friendly at the National Stadium on Monday.

The 21-year-old former Harbour View striker, Jamaica's second most expensive export behind Claude Davis, his teammate at Sheffield United in the English Premiership, has seen no Premiership action since his ?1.75 million transfer from Swedish club Helsinborg. The closest he has come to Premiership action was to make the bench for last weekend's game against Manchester United which the Premiership leaders won 4-0.

"I am being more than frustrated not to play but I have to wait until my chance comes," said Shelton in an interview with Star Sports on Wednesday.

injuries not to blame

His inactivity, Shelton said, had nothing to do with injuries, a feature of his standout season with the Swedish club.

"The situation is that the Swedish League finished in November and I was in Jamaica over the Christmas holidays not playing any football. Because of that I lost my match fitness so because of that I needed to get fit. Right now I think I am getting to where I need to be. I am now getting up to a good level right now. I think right now I am fit enough to start playing and I believe the coach has seen that," said the youngster blessed with searing pace.

The fact that he was the most expensive of the signings brought in by coach Neil Warnock and the fact that he was not playing did not put any pressure on, Shelton said, as he had the support of the manager, his teammates and the fans.

"Actually everyone wants to see me play and I did not see my price tag placing any pressure on me at all. The manager, my teammates, the fans have all been supportive so from that aspect it has not been hard," said the player who has represented Jamaica at every age-group level.

adjusting off field

While he has not been playing, Shelton has been adjusting well off the field, much better than he did in Sweden.

"It is much easier than in Sweden first of all because of the language and there are more Jamaicans in England. I have friends here and Claude being another Jamaican at the club has helped me tremendously.

"Claude has helped me a lot and it makes life much easier with another Jamaican being at the club. I am much more comfortable with him around," he said.

As for the Panama game, Shelton said that he will be giving of his best as always without making any definite promises.

"I will not promise anything but I will try to do my best as always and whenever I play I try to score."

He also expressed a desire to shine in front of new coach Bora Milutinovic."

"I need to do my best to impress him so that I can continue to be a part of the programme and hopefully I will eventually be seen as the number one striker. I know he is a great coach because his record says it and I have had conversations with him already," concluded the player who was due in the island last night.</DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X