Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need to build

<DIV id=printReady>

Let the big man rectify the madness of the past failed campaign.

'We need to build this team'
    published: Saturday | March 24, 2007
    <DIV class=KonaBody p4E55="true">

Gordon Williams, Contributor

FORT LAUDERDALE, Jamaica's Lovel Palmer (24) controls the ball in front of Switzerland's Gokham Inler (27) during the first half of an exhibition soccer game at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Monday, March 22. Switzerland defeated Jamaica 2-0.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida:

Bora Milutinovic was in an upbeat mood following Jamaica's 2-0 defeat to Switzerland here on Thursday night, pleased with the Reggae Boyz's effort, while insisting they will benefit from playing against quality teams like the 'Nati'.

"Normally I am not a happy man if we lose a game," said the Serb, who suffered his first loss as Jamaica football's technical director at Lockhart Stadium. "But our players made great effort. It is important for the future of the Jamaicans ... We need to build this team."

Milutinovic said lack of concentration strapped the Boyz' with a sloppy first half, during which Jamaica were dominated and plunged into an early deficit, giving up goals to Marco Streller (seventh minute) and Gokhan Inler (12th).

They could have conceded several more if not for the brilliant efforts of goalkeeper Richard McCallum, the team's MVP on the night. Yet Milutinovic said he did not feel let down by a Jamaica squad featuring only local-based players pressed into service against Switzerland, the 17th ranked team in the world, packed with professionals from Europe's best leagues.

Never disappointed

"Never, never, never," he said. "I'm never disappointed."

For the Jamaicans who accounted for the majority of the 3,200-plus fans who braved overcast conditions and blustery winds, the first half was hard to digest. The Reggae Boyz easily gave away ball possession, which led to a steady stream of attacks and missed scoring chances by Switzerland.

However, Milutinovic made several substitutions at half time and the Swiss still maintained control of the match and rarely seemed likely to concede a score, the contest became a bit more balanced.

"After (the first) 45 minutes the picture changed," Milutinovic said in praising his team's response. 'Positive.'

The technical director is convinced that the Swiss team's lesson is exactly what the Boyz needed to boost their competitive level in preparation for upcoming World Cup qualifiers, as members of the current Jamaica squad are not normally exposed to top flight teams.

"It is important for us if we can play against a team like Switzerland," Milutinovic said. "It will be perfect for (our) preparation to be in the real soccer, real football world. All of this (Swiss) team's players play in Europe. (They) have ... so many good players.

They play in

"They (are) physically better than us," he would also say. "They are athletic, real good. But this is the difference to being good, the competition, the league (they play in)."

With Jamaica's next assignment at 'The Office' on March 26 against Panama, the new technical director's first at home, Milutinovic wants to temper over eager local fans looking for immediate brilliant results.

"No expectations," was Milutinovic's response to a question focusing on what would happen on Monday. "We need to play. (That) is important, and I hope the people from Jamaica they grow to understand what is our goal. Our goal is clear, to go to the World Cup. To do this, we need to work hard, to have patience, to support our players."

Milutinovi
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

RE: We need to build

Early days for Bora , but by the look of the team that got beat by the swiss , it might be an early exit for Bora.

Barnes would have been a better choice for 500000 pound a year with a youth coach fitzsy for a 250,000 .

The JFF are idiots ! word is FSC contract no hold nuh body when the election a run.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I would think the answer to that is pretty clear. Bora is building towards the next WC qualifying campaign. Onandi is an old man by football standards. He won't be around in 2010. Even ifhe wasyoung right now based on current formour top 3 strikers are Deon Burton, Sean Fraser and a converted JermaineJohnson. I am suresomeonecould add another name from the NPL who is scoring regularly as well. His time has passed. - T.K.
      No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

X (3/23/2007)Early days for Bora , but by the look of the team that got beat by the swiss , it might be an early exit for Bora.

Barnes would have been a better choice for 500000 pound a year with a youth coach fitzsy for a 250,000 .

The JFF are idiots ! word is FSC contract no hold nuh body when the election a run.
        Respectfully disagree X. I can't see how it would be an early exit for Bora based on the result against the swiss. You are talking about a Swiss team that finished top of their World Cup qualifying group ahead of finalists France without giving up a single goal. As a matter of a fact they did not give up a single goal all tournament. They lost in the round of 16 on penalty kicks.

You guys act like you did not see that Red Stripe business on FSC. That is the way the local players play. Unless Bora is going to get to do what Simoes did and run a virtual club team you cannot expect the man to walk on water and change a lifetimes' worth of bad habits in the limited time he has had. Ibet with the overseas players in the squad we would have looked much better against this World Cup side that the Swiss put out. That was no dibi dibi team they brought to the friendly.

Let us not forget the level that we are working on right now. We could not qualify for the Gold Cup against Carribbean teams and we could not get to the hex ahead of Panama. I think that sumsup ourstanding in world football pretty well.Time for all us to take a reality check and realize that wehavealot of work to do to be ready for qualifiers. - T.K.
        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

The journey ahead is long, and fans have to be patient. I hear some chatting and cussing high school and NPL coaches who are "coaches in name" only. I have said this numerous times on the forum, the JFF needs to set minimum qualification standards for coaches in the NPL. A man who has never taken a coaching course is unfit to coach at the highest level in Jamaica. If your trade is coaching, then you must hone and nurture that skill effectively.

It has become comical to hear star NPL ballers have difficulty adjusting to the college game.

It would be safe to bet that TK has more coaching certifications that 90% of the coaches in the NPL. Even top high school & college soccer programs in the USA, there are certain minimum certifications that the coaches must posses, to even be considered for a coaching job.

We are going to continue to bark up the wrong tree, until we see sensible & literate people who are capable of setting a broad vision for Jamaica's football.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

A convient truth for the critics , not his ability but his age .They have argued for his exclusionsince his youth citing his behaviour.

Now it has come down to his age , I laughed when i heard on FSW Red StripeShow the Bigman being referred to as the former reggae boy.

I have yet to hear him announce his retirement.The last time I heard Lowe being asked to play for the RBYZ it came up as a dispute between himself and C.B.His legal troubles in the U.K were brushed aside as giving Onandi time to sort himself out by the JFF.

I believe that has been done , now its an age issue .The argument of form with Onandi is laughable , he was never a prolific scorer in the NPL for obvious reasons, as Shelton said International football is easier.

Comment

X, yuh need to stop joke round wid big man tings. I can name 30 other players in the league who are not prolific scorers, should we include them too? Maybe international ball would be easier for them too.

When last yuh see Nandi play? At least for Shelton, even if he wasn't scoring much (and he was!) you could see quality and potential.

Come now, stop the crap!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

X, when last yuh see Nandi play?
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

'We need to build this team'

We need to build TEAM Reggae Boyz!

Many of the players we saw on show do not know the game. I would think you should know the game you are playing, particularly if you are going to be competing against the top teams in the world and or hoping to advance to the TOP OF THE WORLD.

It is early days yet..but, can Bora teach these local players the game? Does he have the time? Will the JFF give him the numerous matches he and his charges shall need?

It is strange,,,but, I think out local - coaches and players - football may advance much more rapidly while Bora is here than it did during Simoes'time.Yes, the Simoes and preceeding years act as a springboard...but,I think a climate where the 'old coaches' were in denial has passed. It is now a period wherereality has clobbered those 'old coaches' over the head. A realisation that the locals have not a true understanding of the game is now being grasped.A new period where 'learning of the game' is the focus is on us.All the coaches at the school (junior levels) and those at parish, confed and NPL levels are, I think, more receptive (will be more receptive) to discarding bad traits and thelearning of the game and understanding of what is needed to succeed at the TOP OF THE WORLD level.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Unuh fi gi X a break:exclamation: Sometimes I wonder what that poor boy is smoking in that pipe of his.
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

A retort ?

1) Are you saying you dont see the quality in Onandi Mosiah?

2) Isnt he playing for portmore laziein a league where J.J and Shelton etc walked into EPL prem , Scottish prem ,Sweedish prem div 1etc

3) Those 30 you speak of Mosaih do they have an international prolific goal scoring history for country and forgein clubs? Dont make a mockery of your own argument .

Why do i have to see him play , i know the quality of the man like you all do .The fact is he plays in the league where these locals are being called from, am i to believe because he has gotten older he has become worthless? Considering. He just banged a hatrick?

I saw him on the Red Stripe preview last night and he looked out of place playing in the NPL , you could tell he was playing below his standard.

A recall would do him and the national team some good .I take it you all disagree based on the fact that he plays in the NPL and he is getting older ......

Its a fact Lowe has never been prolific in the NPL , his prolific nature has been highlighted on the international stage , why abandon it now , based on what ?The arguments put forth are just not plausable.

I will list them again .

1)THe league he plays in ..NPL (said league most of our locals walk into forgein legaues from )

2) Hisscoring ratio in the NPL (Never been a prolific scorer in the NPL ).

That pipe I smoke is called common sense, loyalty and respect.

Comment

Karl I will take this as the ultimate argument for Onandi recall , they dont grasp the understandingof international football.

They need Guidance from those who still have a lot to contribute , from all who have a part to play.

Comment

X (3/24/2007)Karl I will take this as the ultimate argument for Onandi recall , they dont grasp the understandingof international football.

They need Guidance from those who still have a lot to contribute , from all who have a part to play.
                          X, you are right, the team needs some seasoned veterans to help mold the side into a true Reggae boyz unit. It is however Bora's decision who he feels will fit in the veteran roles he is seeking. I know every fan can point to who should and who should not be there. In the final analysis, it is one man's call.
                          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

X (3/23/2007)

The JFF are idiots
                            This coming from the same person extolling the virtues of one Onandi Lowe? Pot meet kettle (tdown)

Comment

X (3/23/2007)Early days for Bora , but by the look of the team that got beat by the swiss , it might be an early exit for Bora.

Other than flopping at Celtic, what has John Barnes achieved as a coach?

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                              - Xavi

Comment

Working...
                              X