Whitmore blames hectic travel schedule for defeat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitmore blames hectic travel schedule for defeat

Badly outgunned Jamaica have partially blamed a difficult travel schedule for the Reggae Boyz 1-0 loss to the United States in a World Cup qualifying football match here last night.

According to head coach Theodore Whitmore, Jamaica were unable to cope with the torrid pressure inflicted by the Americans, especially in the first half, which eventually led to a 55th-minute goal from a free kick by US striker Herculez Gomez.

Whitmore said the Boyz failed to recover sufficiently from an awkward trip, which resulted in their late arrival here on Sunday night, limiting them to a single training session on Monday evening.

He said the US travelled by charter flight right after losing 2-1 to Jamaica in Kingston on Friday, giving their players plenty time to recuperate and prepare for the return leg of the CONCACAF semi-final round Group A encounter.

"The US had fresher legs," the coach said. " ... We didn't have the resources. It was limited."

sluggishness

However, Whitmore admitted that the US fully capitalised on Jamaica's sluggishness and dominated most of the match by not allowing the Boyz to find any early footing, unlike last Friday when Jamaica took the fight to the Americans almost from the outset, even after conceding a goal in 36 seconds.

"Yes, it was a different game," the coach said. "They came out early and they were pressing us ... We didn't get any time to play."

Whitmore also admitted that the scoreline could have been worse and credited goalkeeper Dwayne Miller, along with a brief surge by Jamaica in the second half, for making sure the defeat was not heavier.

"We were very fortunate not to concede in the first half," the coach said. "It's only the second half we came out and started playing."

The defeat dropped Jamaica into a three-way tie for the group lead on seven points with the US and Guatemala, which defeated Antigua and Barbuda 1-0 yesterday.

The win was also huge boost for the US, who struggled in Jamaica before putting on an impressive show here last night in front of an emotional crowd, which packed the Columbus Crew Stadium on the day the US marked the anniversary of "9/11", the September 11, 2001 date terrorists attacked the country killing nearly 3,000.

According to US head coach Jurgen Klinsmann, the plan was for the Americans to attack Jamaica down the flanks, put the Boyz under pressure early and not let up.

urgency

"I wanted to give them (the US team) the feeling of keep pushing," said Klinsmann. "They had that sense of urgency ... I think that sense of urgency really helped us."

The pressure paid off. The US hounded Jamaica from the opening whistle and took advantage of the pristine field to establish a passing game they sorely lacked in Jamaica, a factor Klinsmann blamed for the defeat.

"It was impossible to pass the ball around in Jamaica," he said of "The Office" turf.

The combination of defensive pressure and crisp combinations, gene-rated from a starting line-up that featured five new faces from the Kingston clash, resulted in territorial domin-ation and numerous scoring chances created by the US, especially in the first half. The Americans hit the goal frame twice and were denied by the brilliant Miller on at least two other occasions.

Oddly, the Boyz only started to establish themselves after falling behind to Gomez's strike, after rarely threatening the US goal. An 80th-minute strike from Rodolph Austin forced the only big save from American goalkeeper Tim Howard.

"We didn't start playing until we conceded," said Whitmore, who claimed he was "satisfied, but disappointed" with Jamaica's performance.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

It's a shame than an island with "unbelievable wealth" is struggling with logistics. Why isn't tappa get financial support despite his accomplishments with the Rboyz?

yes Jamaica, Jamaica woeeeeeeeee.

Comment

When I saw that the team was starting to travel Sunday morning and some weren't getting to Ohio until midnight, I did wonder what was thought process behind that. These are simple things, and while it may not have made a difference in the match, the administration needs to do better than that.

Comment

No Me. I think FIFA sets qualifying dates. Local federations, or regional cofeds can't change the schedule. I think, but double check.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggaedoc View Post
          No Me. I think FIFA sets qualifying dates. Local federations, or regional cofeds can't change the schedule. I think, but double check.
          but its not matter of the date, its the travelling arrangements. Some players left Ja at 6:30 am Sunday and arrived in Ohio at 11pm. The other group left at 2:30 pm and arrived around midnight.....CRAZY !!
          Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

I am not talking about FIFA. We played the USA on Friday and then the USA decided to leave on a chartered plane right away to get back to the States. Their players were going to the mall and watching NFL on Sunday.

Our players were in Jamaica on Saturday for some reason. Instead of leaving Friday night to Miami or early Saturday and then head to Columbus in the evening, our players spent all day travelling in commercial airlines connecting in Miami and Dallas to get to Ohio and getting there at 11:00 pm and midnight on Sunday leaving one training session on the Monday. If it was a game in Miami I could understand that, but not when you have to spend a whole day travelling.

Comment

Well one thing Tappa didn't realise is the US made 5 changes, and we made one. I thought like how Dane never played in Kingston he would have gotten a start. I thought at least another half game for Mattocks and watson could have sit. Luton could have sat earlier and Morrison maybe tired.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

i was on that 6:30 a.m. flight with them. to get there at 6:30 a.m they must have been up since at least 4:00 a.m. and then travel all day .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Sometimes traveling to and from the Midwest to places like Jamaica can prove difficult. I am sure this is one of the things that went into the US playing Jamaica in Columbus. I remember the last time I traveled to Jamaica from Kansas City, I left for a 6:30AM flight and did not make it to Kingston until after 10PM.

I see where the US will be playing Guatemala in Kansas City at Sporting KC stadium.
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Very poor planning indeed for an important match like a WC qualifier.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Team was very very flat.

Comment

Is Whittmore blaming the JFF and the admins for the loss? Watch the space.....
                        I don't have much to say other than that this team cannot take us all the way. As I read somewhere else, we fail to break down teams in all of our qualifying games. Majority of our goals are long range shots or freekicks...
                        How many chances did we get on goal on Tuesday...none. How many games have we seen where the team didn't create any chances? We need better options going forward. We can't contine to depend on freekicks and Demar Phillips.......We have a big game next month, I hope Tappa is ringing phones and looking at options/strategies for the game. If we play another first half like we did in columbus...we can all kiss the Hex goodbye.....
                        I don't think people recognize the bad state that we are in. It's very hard for Tappa to call up new players now because that would seem like pressing the panic button. Also, anyone that wasn't willing to come on board then should go sit and wait on that England call, Jobi Mcnuff included.
                        If Tappa insist on local guys, please look for Kieth Kelly, J Hue, K Daley, and the likes...bring them into camp now and drill them for a month..if you can get 45 good minutes from one these guys then we should be ok....
                        Can you all seriously tell me that we couldn't get more from Humphrey than waht we got from Watson on tuesday? Tappa, Big man ting, cutout di gyal ting and invite the best willing and able players to camp.....I want to go watch WCQ live next year...stop frig up mi plan.

Comment

Working...
                        X