No announcement yet.

Darren Mattocks is a touch above..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not me, the key thing I try to build with every team I work with in twenty plus years is building a level playing field especially at the start with clear metrics so everybody can feel that it is an even an open system where performance drives reward.

This to me is the fundamental problem in virtually everything in Jamaica except those things that are well measured and information and the dissemination of info is wide and far, otherwise it is all about friend biz, contacts, allegiances etc, it kills the spirit and ful potential of any enterprise!!

Comment

Ok!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Firstly, it is KAVIN BRYAN.

Secondly, if personnel selection in football is all about feel and emotions, why has Opta made such a successful and respected business out of compiling football data and, in their words, bringing them to life?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Did I say it is all about that? The fact is you have to respect the decision of the coach and what he is seeing and trying to do.

Coaches change games and they have to go on gut feelings sometimes so if they inject a player they think will change the game, I have no problem with it.

Ok let us all get English players because they are playing in higher league and some have great stats and run with it(how would you like that). The game and team is more than just putting stats and past performance on the field.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Ok!

It's not all about stats and it should not be all about gut feelings either.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It is not about that. Stoni is questioning one player's inclusion and as far as I am concern there are many reasons why a coach would go against stats and recent performance.

It doesn't always work but ehen it does it can be brilliant.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Do you have any idea how long the MLS or RSPL will last? I think not. So I do not think we should be putting a cap of uncertainty on the V-League.

Vietnam's per capita GDP is not a 1/4 of Jamaica's, it is more like a little over 1/3.
                Jamaica's - $9,100 (2011 est.)
                Vietnam's - $3,400 (2011 est.)

Also, looking only at per capita GDP could be misleading. If GDP Purchasing Power Parity were used, it would give a different picture as it compares the countries with regards to living conditions and use of resources across the two countries. In that regard, figures for the two are as follows:-

GDP (purchasing power parity):
                Jamaica - $25.07 billion (2011 est.)
                Vietnam - $303.8 billion (2011 est.)

This ranks Jamaica 118th in the world, while Vietnam is 42nd. Vietnam's GDP (PPP) is over 12 times that of Jamaica's.
                Please note, currency is in US$.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                  Do you have any idea how long the MLS or RSPL will last? I think not. So I do not think we should be putting a cap of uncertainty on the V-League.

Vietnam's per capita GDP is not a 1/4 of Jamaica's, it is more like a little over 1/3.
                  Jamaica's - $9,100 (2011 est.)
                  Vietnam's - $3,400 (2011 est.)

Also, looking only at per capita GDP could be misleading. If GDP Purchasing Power Parity were used, it would give a different picture as it compares the countries with regards to living conditions and use of resources across the two countries. In that regard, figures for the two are as follows:-

GDP (purchasing power parity):
                  Jamaica - $25.07 billion (2011 est.)
                  Vietnam - $303.8 billion (2011 est.)

This ranks Jamaica 118th in the world, while Vietnam is 42nd. Vietnam's GDP (PPP) is over 12 times that of Jamaica's.
                  Please note, currency is in US$.
                  Jamaica's 2011 GDP is US$9K?? Please post the source of this amazing achievement

Most have it @ ~US$5K

Are you a Silicon Valley resident using the Atlas Method of tomfoolery?
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

You can blame the iPad spell check for changing every word that does not fit their sense of proper spelling, so Kavin becomes Kevin and I don't spend a ton of times rechecking these quick posts for spelling.

On the Opta issue, it seems to me that there are using a ton of stats as well as game theory analysis and other such tools but under it all is stats, it is not opts that is the issue here, it is the way we as Jamaicans make choices when we don't look at data that is the issue. When we don't look at data then we marginalized our possibilities, thus our football has not produced any world class talent .

Comment

There are some intangibles that doesn't and will never show up in your stats. It is using your stats while another formation or the level improve and totaly throw everything out of context.

An example is the bosses wanted certain improvements, and they were armed with stats and pressuring workers and I said to them simple if we use certain technology which I knew is present the stats you present will not be a factor and will be obsolete(I can give you direct examples). The fact is if you use certain formation certain players regardless of the stats some players may have to sit. Coaches will give you reasons why different formation is needed. It could also be that Cummings and Dane's game is known by the Americans and they may have planned for it so give them a different look. You never know what in the coaches mind, it is not just about Stats.

yeah it is fact that we don't plan and use Stats and data enough but there is also times when as a coach you have to go against conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                        Mi si one bag a yapping ah gwaan innah dis thread..bout ease in slowly and sub tactics.. mi nuh need nuh Stats or league comparison... eiddah yuh know ballah or yuh nuh know ballah..

Mattocks is a ballah and Tappa need fi leggo di ballah...

CONFIDENCE is key.. dah yute reminds me of the Golden Era where all Brazilian fraid a Tappa.. and Andy Williams seh nuh man cyaan tek wheh him ball and buss Forlan salad fi fun..

Leggo Mattocks pon Concacaf !

A so mi say to, i only needed to take 1 look at him.This youth is the real deal!!
                        Let him at the Yanks on Tuesday.

Comment

Mi glad unnu see the youth talent and potential. The thing about him is he is full of confidence and at the same time takes instructions. Also remember we have 2 games in a short time and I would like to see him and Dane Richards on the field at some time, as playing for the Vancouver they have been able to work good so far.

Let us see what Tappa do for Columbus. Dunny as I said Mattocks if he continue will be in a top league by 2 years time but could possible be this year. He has a lot of tools but what I like most is how he moves in spaces between defenses and his shooting skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                            I think your statistical modeling is interesting...but your literal/linear or single-minded application of it is misguided

It would be interesting to know which successful coach or coaching system uses statistics in this bald, non-nuanced way to select players. Taken to it's logical conclusion....if you're a coach you really don't need to see a player to evaluate them well...you just need to see his stats an' yuh good

The essential problem with your proposals in my view is your lack of consideration of crucial non-measurable indices....so you throw the baby out with the bathwater with your data-centric approach
                            You hit the nail on its head as it relates to moving players...in particular from 'little known leagues' - The technical managers (or their surrogates - scouts or players agent or other in whom they have faith on ability to spot quality i.e. 'know ball'/spot top talent/make determination on quality players) seek stats and then videos (a likle luk!)...then if a passing grade is assessed the final exam = trials is arranged.
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Dem seh Luton fast... di yute fassah and intelligently so PLUS skill and audacious wid him passing plus played excellent defensively.. run back and tek wheh ball like man a bwoy..

him nah last long innah Canada with WC Qualifying exposure..

Europe him ah guh..

Comment

Luton maybe faster running straight at the defense but Mattocks is better in short space in between defenses. It make defense stay home because one little move and him gone. He knows how to run into space, with or without the ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X