• Show
Clear All

• LA academy drafts teen with Jamaican links

LA academy drafts teen with Jamaican links
    published: Thursday | March 22, 2007
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

Bowen ... ended up impressing the Galaxy coaching staff. - Contributed

Gordon Williams, Contributor

A TEENAGER with strong Jamaican links has become the first player drafted into a new youth academy being launched by one of the top professional football clubs in the United States.

Sixteen-year-old forward Tristan Bowen, who was born in the U.S., but whose parents Vernal Bowen and Sophia Craig are from Kingston, was selected during open tryouts for about 800 players conducted last month by the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer.

The teenager was one of three selected, but the other two, both over 18, were later released by the club too young to sign a professional contract with Galaxy, Bowen welcomed the start to what he is hoping will be a promising career.

"It's definitely something I want," Bowen, a long-time Galaxy fan, said.

The teenager is the first player to be included in Galaxy Rios (GR), which is set for official launch next month. It will begin with two-year development teams - GR Under-15 and GR Under-18 - starting next year.

The club's aim under GR is "to develop an elite group of players who we feel have the potential to become the next Landon Donovan or Cobi Jones," said Galaxy president and general manager Alexi Lalas. He explained that GR's success will be measured by players who move on to the professional level.

Donovan and Jones have represented Galaxy and the U.S. many times, including multiple World Cups. Reggae Boyz utility player Tyrone Marshall has also been a stalwart for the club in recent years.

Test against older players

Because of his age, Galaxy said Bowen, who turned 16 in late January, should not have participated in the tryouts, organised for players 18 and over. Bowen said he was aware of the restriction, but needed to test himself.

"I just wanted to see how I would compete against the older guys," the teen explained.

Yet, he never doubted his own ability to excel against them.

"Because of my training, age is not a factor for me," Bowen said. "It's about skill."

He ended up impressing the Galaxy coaching staff.

"Tristan's a clever kid and he was somehow able to sneak into our open tryouts," said Lalas. "By the time we discovered he was only 16 years old he was already through to the final round.

"At the end of the day, our coaching staff thought he was the best player on the field," added the former defender, who got his first cap for the U.S. while current Jamaica technical director Bora Milutinovic was in charge of America's national team.

"That says a lot about his talent and his potential."

Bowen grew up in the Los Angeles area and began playing recreational football in 2000. He has represented local clubs in youth and adult leagues.

Bowen also played at Chatsworth High School with his brother Travis. Now the 5' 11" 165-pound player is being schooled at home to accommodate his football ambitions.

"It was the best decision to make," he explained. "To focus on my training and avoid distractions."

Although Bowen has never been to Jamaica, he said he watches the national team play "all the time". Yet, he did not commit to representing the Reggae Boyz in the future.

"I haven't thought about it," he said. "Anything can happen. I haven't ruled it out." <HR>Gordon Williams is a Jamaican journalist based in the United States</DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: LA academy drafts teen with Jamaican links

Yet unnu no believe while everyone around us believes that we are the "formula" England a tout dem Arsenal youngster as the next great thing and of course him have Yard background and now this other sign from Los Angeles to go along with signs from Miami of both Sean Fraser and the new "draftee" not to mention Dane Richards in New York and still unnu refuse to see it.

A so the man dem "self-hate" inbedded deep inna wi iyah? damn they did a job on us with slavery and now dem tell-lie-vision. How much more signs do we need to see that we are the formula and that a we supposed to a lead the world?

Everywhere you turn is a yardie a rise just in time for the repatriation 2010 and yet we still a fight it.

I will amend the statement so hear is the old one and then the new one, first the old one

25 Adu's in Jamaica and the new one 25 Adu's at home and abroad. T.K. how are you today?

A guru is never honored on his own forum

Comment

Clearly Gordon Williams reads the forum as I posted the story the other day! So hopefully he posted me as a source. Hehe....

In either case he is a player the youth coaches can file away and look for in the future if him bus' out. - T.K.
      No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

I will amend the statement so hear is the old one and then the new one, first the old one

25 Adu's in Jamaica and the new one 25 Adu's at home and abroad. T.K. how are you today?
        I hope we don't have 25 Adus home and abroad. Adu sucks! (tdown) - T.K.

Comment

Although Bowen has never been to Jamaica, he said he watches the national team play "all the time". Yet, he did not commit to representing the Reggae Boyz in the future.

"I haven't thought about it," he said. "Anything can happen. I haven't ruled it out."
          <DIV class=KonaBody>

Translation: "If I get overlooked by the U.S. team I may end up settling for Jamaica." </DIV>
          "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
          - Xavi

Comment

yuhseeit!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (3/22/2007) yuhseeit!
              whoseeit? meseeit....heseeit....sheseeit......demseeit.....u nnoseeit....Yes i&amp;iseeit! :P - T.K.

Comment

Karl (3/21/2007)The teenager was one of three selected, but the other two, both over 18, were later released by the club too young to sign a professional contract with Galaxy
                I don't get it?

Comment

The 16 yr oldis not signing with the Galaxy either. He is going to the Galaxy Rios. The others I guess were too old for the GR and too young to sign with the Galaxy. That's my take.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (3/22/2007)The 16 yr oldis not signing with the Galaxy either. He is going to the Galaxy Rios. The others I guess were too old for the GR and too young to sign with the Galaxy. That's my take.
                    I get you but why have a camp for players 18 and over if the 18 year olds will be too young to sign for the main club and too old to sign for the youth club? Wasn't ADU14 when he signed on to MLS?

Comment

WOW!! What a difference a season makes...You really mean that he is not the phenom anymore!?...or could it be that your player assessment ability is suspect? Anyway, just thought that I'd ask or sort of remind you especially the fact that you and your American counterparts were the only ones around here raving about Mr. Adu.

Comment

Sensi (3/22/2007)WOW!! What a difference a season makes...You really mean that he is not the phenom anymore!?...or could it be that your player assessment ability is suspect? Anyway, just thought that I'd ask or sort of remind you especially the fact that you and your American counterparts were the only ones around here raving about Mr. Adu.
                        Um......well we have already established that I am a football dunce soI will defer to you on football matters.It's your world Sensi I am just paying rent. - T.K.

Comment

Bricktop (3/22/2007)
                          Mosiah (3/22/2007)The 16 yr oldis not signing with the Galaxy either. He is going to the Galaxy Rios. The others I guess were too old for the GR and too young to sign with the Galaxy. That's my take.
                          I get you but why have a camp for players 18 and over if the 18 year olds will be too young to sign for the main club and too old to sign for the youth club? Wasn't ADU14 when he signed on to MLS?
                          BT just to clarify.....The Galaxy had open tryouts for their Senior team. The two 18 year olds and Tristan took part in these tryouts. The tryouts were only suppose to be for players 18 or older but Tristan snuck in because he wanted to test himself to see where stood in relation to other aspiring professionals. Well he impressed so much that he along with two 18 year olds were given an offer to come train with the Galaxy. Once they found out his real age they signed him up immediately for the Galaxy Rios program.

The article is mistaken the two 18 year olds were not too young to sign with the galaxy. If they were good enough the galaxywould have signed them.- T.K.

Comment

T.K...you are really disappointing me!I thought that I could have learned a thing or two from you, especially with you holding all those certificates and diplomas and now you are deferring to me!? Where does that leave me?:w00t: Come on oh special one!

Comment

Sensi (3/22/2007)T.K...you are really disappointing me!I thought that I could have learned a thing or two from you, especially with you holding all those certificates and diplomas and now you are deferring to me!? Where does that leave me?:w00t: Come on oh special one!
                              Not sure whyyou are trying to goad me into an argument butlet me save you the trouble. I am a football dunce. Now that we have that clear no needto havea go at one other. You are a good man and and one who I respect very much.It's all good bredren. - T.K.

Comment

Working...
                              X