"they don't like me because maybe I'm too good"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "they don't like me because maybe I'm too good"

While anger has turned to grudging admiration in much of the country, in Middlesbrough dislike of Cristiano Ronaldo has only increased as their meetings with Manchester United this season have revolved almost entirely around penalties and the Portuguese. <DIV class=phinline>
    <DIV style="WIDTH: 275px"><DIV class=photocred2>GettyImages</DIV><DIV class=photosubtext>Cristiano Ronaldo: The man Boro love to hate</DIV></DIV></DIV>

Therefore it was with a certain inevitability that the winger scored the spot kick to take Manchester United into their 25th FA Cup semi-final.

Middlesbrough queried its award in the meeting Old Trafford - the word 'cheat' was apparently used in dugout discussions, to the annoyance of Carlos Queiroz - though Jonathan Woodgate, making a solitary error in an otherwise impeccable performance, made contact with the probable Player of the Year after he met Gabriel Heinze's long pass.

Nor were Boro pacified after Ronaldo sent Mark Schwarzer the wrong way. His celebrations included what may be deemed a provocative gesture towards the normally mild-mannered Gareth Southgate; at his most outspoken in his tenure in management towards Ronaldo after he procured a penalty in their Premiership meeting at the Riverside.

'Maybe they don't like me because maybe I'm too good,' suggested the goalscorer with a mixture of cheek and truth. Middlesbrough substitute James Morrison certainly appeared not to like the winger after his rash lunge on Ronaldo brought about his injury-time dismissal. 'We all, in that position, would love to do what he did because of the frustration, but you've got to keep your discipline,' said Southgate, almost condoning his midfielder.

This time, there was no doubt Ronaldo was fouled, though he insisted Mike Dean was also correct to award the penalty. 'Of course I felt the contact,' added the United man. 'If you touch me, I lose my movement.'

Southgate did not quite agree: 'I'm still not sure and I've seen [the penalty incident] three times but I can understand why it's been given. The galling thing for my team is we've played them three times and conceded three penalties.' More placatory after the match, he praised Ronaldo: 'He's a fantastic player and he's very good at what he does.'

For good measure, it was a Ronaldo penalty that earned United this replay. Southgate, whose playing career was defined by a missed spot kick, may believe his time on the touchline has been notable for those Ronaldo has scored.

It was, therefore, another victory United can attribute to Ronaldo's trickery, even if he could not quite emulate his own brilliance against Bolton two days ago. But his intervention was required because, Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney aside, there were few other potential match-winners for United tonight as their FA Cup run continues to expose the deficiencies of their supporting cast.

Especially as Middlesbrough more than matched them in most aspects of the match. So often anaemic in Steve McClaren's time in charge, they appear to have discovered spirit under Southgate. The assumption that Ronaldo's equaliser at the Riverside had ended their chances of progressing was rapidly challenged. George Boateng battled bravely in the midfield; Schwarzer twice excelled in denying Rooney when the striker was clean through on goal and Woodgate, providing a classy sheen to some determined defending, repelled the majority of attacks. <DIV class=phinline>
    <DIV style="WIDTH: 275px"><DIV class=photocred2>GettyImages</DIV><DIV class=photosubtext>Ronaldo appeals after Woodgate's challenge</DIV></DIV></DIV>

Indeed, the penalty notwithstanding, Woodgate's display suggested that were McClaren to pick his England side on current form, perhaps England's central defensive partnership in Israel should b
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: "they don't like me because maybe I'm too good"

Cho Lazie be objective. It was a clear dive!
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

RE: "they don't like me because maybe I'm too good"

Yet yuh start off yuh post saying I should be objective? If that is a dive then I don't know what to look for then.

Clear penalty! If a Jamaican player was tripped up in the box you'd see it as a penalty don't it?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
      X